Not so great kitchen tools

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mel!

Sous Chef
What kitchen tools have you regretted buying or been given as presents?

I purchased a Cuisinart immersion blender two years ago that I've used once.

It's not so much that the tool itself is useless, it just doesn't fit in with my cooking style.

40 bucks down the drain.

I have a handful of citrus peelers that have somehow come into my possession over the years. I'm pretty sure I didn't buy any of them.

And speaking of egg related items, I own one of those wire egg slicers. It doesn't really work very well, though. It should really be called an egg mutilator.

I also have a crockpot that I only use once every couple of years, and usually just to keep something warm at a potluck. Although a lot of people swear by them, I don't think I've ever once used mine for actual cooking.

I regret just about any single function item. Egg slicer, bagel slicer, cheese slicer, garlic press, holiday baking pans, and anything that has ever been advertised on a TV infomercial.

I do like to try all of these things but, I usually go back to the basic tools and appliances. Curiosity clinches the sale and then the stuff ends up in the Good Will donation box! I guess it is good for the economy, it creates jobs, just not in this country! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I bought this Terra Cotta cooker at a second hand shop. It is supposed to have been made with volcanic ash and claims to draw fats from foods. And be great for steak, but I used it once and it didn't work out very good. It was also a bugger to clean. Never used it again. It looks cool hanging in the kitchen, though.

Attachments

• 457776989_tp.jpg
    457776989_tp.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 182
I would say that just about every kitchen item I have regretted buying, was poor quality.

I have owned garlic presses that were good. I have owned cheap ones that broke. I don't own one now, because I like mincing garlic and I am very picky that it be solid, easy clean, and do a good job on the garlic.

I bought a burr coffee grinder that was too cheap. I still use it occasionally for Bodum grind, but it's useless for the espresso machine. It grinds well enough for the mocha maker and for drip coffee.

I bought a bargain electronic thermometer and it quit telling the temperature correctly after a few uses.

I have an "instant read" thermometer that isn't as instant as my candy/deep fat thermometer.

I own a wire egg slicer and like it.
I own an egg separator and occasionally use it.
I own a Cusinart immersion blender and use it a lot. It has a mini food processor attachment that gets used a lot. Any time I need to whip cream or eggs, out it comes with the whisk attachment.

Truffle shaver. It just doesn't get used often enough!:ohmy: I really want it to get used a lot!;)

Cool thread I agree..........the worst purchase to date was the Cuisinart "grind and brew" coffee machine. Danged thing NEVER has worked right. Hefty chunk o' change. WASTED!

I bought a slap chopper for $15. I never use it. I was looking for one of those jars with the chopping element attached through the screw on lid like my mom used to have. It was great for chopping nuts without scattering them all over the kitchen.

My mandolin, ice cream maker, electric meat slicer, potato ricer, toaster, fish spatula, garlic press, garlic peeler, Depression Glass batter bowl.

I do more baking than cooking now. Mostly for the kids. And as fast as I bake it, it goes out the door. Some of these tools I have had for many moons.

I could hold a yard sale. :)

Once again at DC we discover that those gadgets useless to some are vaunted by others. For everybody who likes something somebody else hates it, and vice versa.

For example the garlic press. In my case it's the Zyliss and I really like it, but not for all jobs. It produces sort of mushy threads which work fine in some recipes, but sometimes I want a very fine mince, sometimes finely chopped, sometimes coarsely chopped. Garlic presses are good at what they do but they can't be all things to all people and all recipes.

My Zyliss cleans out easily. I hold it under warm running water and poke out most of the garlic inside with my finger, then flip it over (output side up) and rub the surface with my thumb to push through bits that are stuck in the holes, and let the water force the bits out. Repeat once and it's as clean as a whistle, ready to be dried and put away for another time. (A dishwasher is unlikely to clean those little bits out, or at least not all the time.)

I have a couple stick blenders too (one is a Cuisinart). Stick blenders are useful in some jobs but again they aren't useful in many other purposes. I particularly like a stick blender when I have a small amount that I want super-blended and don't want to bring out a bigger tool. They're easy to clean too, just pop the immersion part and run it under hot water for half a minute, maybe throw a bit of soap on it if you've been blending something oily or greasy. Or throw it in the dish washer I guess.

Last edited:
I bought a slap chopper for $15. I never use it. I was looking for one of those jars with the chopping element attached through the screw on lid like my mom used to have. It was great for chopping nuts without scattering them all over the kitchen.

Kathleen bought one of those once. Not sure who's or how much it was. I put some onion under it and hit the thing. The onion stayed on the blades when it came back up. I cleared it and hit it again and tossed it in the trash after breaking it.

I think it was a mall kiosk purchase. Horrible.. horrible...

I have had a couple of slow cookers that couldn't hold a full load of food when lifted. I won't purchase a slow cooker with a plastic handle, period!

I have had two immersion belnders where the immersion wand either froze up, or held liquids in them that couldnt' be removed, ruining the wand for future use.

I was given a Black & Decker Gizmo, with attachments. It was so underpowered as to be useless.

On the other hand, a Saws-All is a great tool for removing chine bones from a pork crown roast preparation. :mrgreen:

I too have no use for a garlic press.

I despise teflon pans, except for making pancakes and french toast on. And I know that they will only last a few years before requiring replacement.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom