Oven bags - anyone actually LIKE them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QSis

Washing Up
I had a free sample of a Reynolds oven bag that I was dying to use.

Had 4 pound pork loin roast which I dusted with a little flour, salt and pepper, and placed the roast in the oven bag with sliced onions, garlic cloves and mushrooms. Pre-heated the oven to 450, per directions, sealed the bag and put it in a roasting pan.

I did put a probe thermometer in the roast and set it to 143, just to make sure the roast didn't overcook.

Well, it was just okay. No golden, crispy fat on top of the roast, of course. The mushrooms were a little chewy. The bag leaked, so clean-up was "not a snap".

I wouldn't buy these things - I like roasted meats and vegs better than steamed.

Has anyone had success with oven bags? Should I have done something differently?

Lee

I've had success with a pot roast with potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, mushrooms, whole chicken, a turkey or two. I would imagine though that a pork roast with it's low fat content would do better at high temps out of a bag. That's my first thought anyway. You are right, you just steamed it and it needs that dry heat to seal it and brown it.

Yea, I've had those suckers leak too - it's a mess!!!!!!

I don't think you did anything wrong - those pork loins just need a higher heat/shorter cooking time IMHO :chef:

I use one for my Thanksgiving turkey every year, and have for a long time. I love them. No basting, no guessing. I put the turkey in the bag, seal it, put one remote thermometer in the leg, the other in the stuffing, stick it in the oven, and go do everything else until the thermometer alarms go off.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I know how to cook a turkey. I have been cooking them for almost 30 years and every turkey I have ever cooked has turned out perfectly. I prefer the oven bags, not just because they are easy and you don't have to keep opening the oven to baste the turkey, but because the turkey turns out so well. I wouldn't care how easy they are to use if the turkey didn't turn out well.

:) Barbara

Barbara and licia,

I have to ask this, just to make sure, even though I feel like an idiot :wacko: :you don't get a golden-brown crispy skin on the turkey, right?

Lee

Yep, I use them and like them. Never thought I would be saying that:LOL:, but it is true. I only use them on wild turkey or have ever tried them on wild turkey. I confess, I fear ruining a wild turkey and this does make it fool proof and delicious. I doubt I would ever use it on any other meat.

I use the cooking bag for cooking turkey and the bird always comes out great and yes the skin is crispy. The turkey is evenly cooked and O so tender. You have to remember to put the slits in the top

What the OP said. They just steam meat/poultry. No crust of nice roasted meat.

I swear by them too. I've never been disappointed in anything I've cooked in the bags (turkey and some roasts).

We used to use the greased brown paper bags until the paper started to be melded with glue.

I love turkey all year long and since it's just Mr HB and me, I use my rotisserie a lot. The bird has to be less than 12 lbs which is fine but for T'day we need a much larger bird so I like the bag.

I use the bags for spiral sliced hams. Keeps them moister than other cooking methods.

But that's about the limit of my use for the bags.

thymeless

I don't use them to cook with, but they do make great liners for crockpots or pans if your serving items such as cheese sauces, chocolate fondues, even cocktail weenies and bbq sauce. It makes clean up alot easier at the end of the night.

JDP

QSis said:
Barbara and licia,

I have to ask this, just to make sure, even though I feel like an idiot :wacko: :you don't get a golden-brown crispy skin on the turkey, right?

Lee

Wrong! I get a crispy golden brown skin every time, and the breast meat is always moist, which very seldom happens when you leave the turkey naked to the elements (pun intended). I also get a whole bucketful of juice to make gravy with because there is so little evaporation during the cooking process.

Gretchen said:
What the OP said. They just steam meat/poultry. No crust of nice roasted meat.

You've obviously never used one, or you used it improperly.

Last edited:
Caine said:
Wrong! I get a crispy golden brown skin every time, and the breast meat is always moist, which very seldom happens when you leave the turkey naked to the elements (pun intended). I also get a whole bucketful of juice to make gravy with because there is so little evaporation during the cooking process.
You've obviously never used one, or you used it improperly.

I am glad you like the results you get with a bag. I like the results I get without it. I have seen it used and what it did. But I personally see no reason to use one.

My turkey is a gorgeous brown, a juicy breast meat (every T'giving--not "seldom") and I have all the juices/wherewhithal I need for an elegant light brown gravy with great flavor.
If liquid does indeed evaporate in the cooking then what is left is more concentrated and can have liquid added as needed.
Bags came along after I started cooking turkeys and I have not felt I had the need to find out what they do. We should probably agree that perhaps there is more than one way to roast a turkey to celebrate the holiday.

My mom uses them and has for years. Her turkey was always brown and nice, and she loves to make an oven type stew in them too. I'm going to try one for my next spiral ham now that I read that it keeps the ham a bit more moist.

BC

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom