OXO anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a problem with every manual can opener I buy. They just don't finish the job they are supposed to do, like completely taking off the lid. I have bought cheap ones and expensive ones. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me. Go ahead you can tell me. I'll have to find one by OXO but I haven't seen any in Canada. Might have to be an internet purchase.

Victoria, the one I found for my nephew was at Stokes, a chain of cookware shops, usually in big malls. I know there is at least one in Nanaimo, but I am not sure about CR. Also I have seen them in the Bay as well so if you have a Bay or Zellers you might get one. I have never seen anything more than ergonomic peelers, paring knives and can openers. But in the states there seems to be a lot larger line of products.

Hope that helps you!

Last edited:
I, too, have a kitchen that's a bit skewed toward OXO. I never shop for appliances and tools with a brand in mind. Or aesthetics. Only function first (including ergonomics), quality second. All too often, OXO is superior to anything else on the rack/shelf, usually by a very far stand-alone margin from other choices. I'll place it in my shopping basket, only to realize at the payment counter, that it's another OXO product. Their can opener is fantastic!! I don't know much about the company itself, but a tour of their R&D Department would be a fascinating one.

(Never heard of it, but oxo's a great brandname for stock... ox tail medallions simmered for like forever... yum.)

Wow, i totally miss the boat on that one. lol... hugs and kisses, did not ring a bell at the time.

Funny story Wyogal...I drew my Nephew-in-law's name at Christmas a few year's ago and asked my SIL what he would like. She said an O X O can opener. Having never seen their tools before I had know idea what she was talking about. DH said "he must want a lovely looking one"! It wasn't until we went to a specialty store that we found OXO products that weren't food. I bought it and to this day it is his "lovely can opener".

I truly like most oxo products, and when I use them I often think of my friends who have arthritic hands. They have to be a great help. I wasn't crazy about the knife I bought (the blade was too flexible, but that was years ago), but, I swear, I'll never own a can opener that isn't an Oxo. My flexibility of thumb is getting stiff (oh, not a good way of putting it, but some over 40 will know what I mean), and the Oxo grips are a considerable help.

They may not be the best choice for 20-and 30-somethings, but those grips truly help me, and I don't have real arthritis problems. Given a choice, I buy their products above others. Oh, did I mention the great potato peelers? I grew up in a family where we would sometimes peel dozens. I wish we'd had the Oxo versions!

i dont know about the rest of you, but i was never sure how i was supposed to pronounce the name....i usually just say "oh-ex-oh"

but, i just looked it up and the official pronunciation is "ox-oh"....and the name was chosen because it reads the same no matter how it is positioned....just some tid-bits....

just bought an oxo y-peeler the other day....so much better than my old one (anyone have a good reason to take a y-shaped peeler over the more traditional design, or the other way around? they sold both)

I totally agree..I love all my OXO products that I have...I think my favorites are the can opener and my salad spinner..makes mixing up big salads muuuuchhh easier

I own a 9" oxo tongs and citrus wood juicer i like both very much. I'm looking into buying the stainless steal pizza wheel cutter next.

i own OXO salad spinner, knives, measuring cups, spoon rests, spatulas, tongs, cooking spoons, slotted cooking spoons, utensil holders, can openers, peelers etc on and on to much to remember.

haha wowwww youre a big oxo addict huh? lol

since all of you like oxo so much, I thought I would share this contest that I found online. The website is Welcome to OXO's search for the next OXOniac, but basically you just upload a video demoing your fave kitchen tool and you could win a trip to NYC and $1000 worth of OXO products. Nowwwww I just have to convince my kids to film me! haha

Back
Top Bottom