Parchment paper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Llamaso

Assistant Cook
One of the neatest things that I found was parchment paper already cut to fit a cookie sheet. It lays flat. When you buy it in a roll it always wants to roll up on you and gets worse nearer the end of the roll. When you buy it cookie sheet size it comes folded in half but lays out flat nicely. Roy

Roy, I know it sounds silly but, when I get to the end of my roll of parchment paper, I take the sheet of parchment and ball it up as if I'm going to throw it away. You get the idea. Then smooth it out with my hands and put it onto my cookie sheet or onto whatever pan I want to use it on. Works every time. Doing this seems to get rid of the extreme "curl" in the paper.

Oh gosh, I love parchment paper, and I can't buy it anywhere here, so I always bring some back when I go to the states and have people who are visiting bring it to me. I also use it in my tortilla press when I make tortillas. They don't stick at all and are easy to peel off and then cook on the griddle. I'm down to my last roll.....sigh.

The restaurant supply store I used to work for sells it pre-cut. It's a full-sheet sized, so I have to split it in half to put it on my pans, but it's easy to do and use.

Katie, that's a good idea! I hadn't thought about crumpling it up to get it flat. If I could find rolls in the right price range, I might try that next time. Currently, the sheets are a better deal for me.

I don't know if I could cook without parchment paper----I only discovered it when I was overseas 18 years ago...........came home and told my neighbor who always baked 10 dozen Easter and Christmas cookies for the neighborhood and she was quite skeptical at first. Then she saw how easy it made her job and she has never turned back since. For myself it's the only way I can make decent pizza crust.........I roll it out and cut around the perimeter of the pizza and then insert it in the pan and bake it---perfect every time..........

I sprinkle a litlle water onto the cookie sheet then press the parchment on it. The water holds it flat long enough for me to start putting stuff on it.

Hey Karen-- I love the idea of using parchment paper when making tortillas! I've always used plastic wrap, but it's hard to handle and still tends to stick a bit. Sometimes I even have to use a little oil to keep the dough from sticking. I'm definitely going to try using parchment paper next time. I never even thought of doing this! Cool. :)

If you're baking on a sheet pan ... using silicone baking mats (such as SilPat or other brands) are actually significantly cheaper per use than parchment paper. We had a discussion about this 3-4 years ago - I can't find the thread - but I compared the prices.

When making tortillas, hamburger patties, etc, - parchment paper is no more non-stick than waxed-paper.

why you can find expensive $$$$ parchment paper and not wax I don't know....don't have much of a choice....I do roll up my p. paper and reuse it if it's still bakeable (don't know if that is a word or not

If you're baking on a sheet pan ... using silicone baking mats (such as SilPat or other brands) are actually significantly cheaper per use than parchment paper. We had a discussion about this 3-4 years ago - I can't find the thread - but I compared the prices.

I hadn't thought about the price. The silicone seemed fairly tacky. Can they still be slid off the sheet to cool?

I hadn't thought about the price. The silicone seemed fairly tacky. Can they still be slid off the sheet to cool?

If you are talking about sliding the mat off the pan - it would probably be a problem unless you could find one that only has silicone on one side. One of the advantages of the silicone mats is that although food doesn't stick to them - they do tend to grip a counter-top and don't slide around, I assume they would do the same to a baking sheet.

To you, all the good bakers, can one of you tell me: Do I have to butter/oil the parchment cups to make muffins? I made some 2 days ago, but the paper really stick to the muffin, you finish eating only half of it.
Thanks a lot for any enlightment about it...

I buy the brown parchment paper. It hasn't been treated with chlorine like the white parchment has and is better for the environment, and better for humans, too.

I reuse the parchment paper all the time. I just reverse it if the original side isn't too gunky.

The silicone mats are good too. You can find those at the discount stores like Tuesday Morning, etc. I put mine in the dishwasher and it cleans up nicely.

I don't if you use Reynold's parchment paper , it is coated with silicone on one side so if you use the wrong side , the baked goods can stick to the paper.

Back
Top Bottom