Pasta machines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookbookie

Assistant Cook
I am thinking about purchasing a pasta machine. I can't decide if I should buy a free standing one or the attacment for my KitchenAid mixer. Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions on which would do the best job. motor/ no motor?? I love fresh pasta and thought this would give me a better product than I can buy locally.:)

We have an Atlas manual pasta machine and really like it. Have had it for years. It makes great pasta. I investigated getting one to fit my KitchenAid mixer because I'm having a little difficulty (arthritis in my cranking hand) turning the crank. However, it would be quite expensive considering all the different cutters I already have and would have to replace them all with KitchenAid ones. Instead, it will be way less expensive to purchase a motor to retrofit my Atlas, which is what I'm going to do.

If you're just getting started making pasta, I would invest in the KA pasta roller and cutters. They work like a charm with little effort. The ravioli maker is a great attachment, as well, when you get some practice rolling out the sheets of pasta.
I use mine at least once a week for a recipe.

I had the same debate when I was shopping. I decided on a manual pasta machine to eliminate the noise and hassle of setting up the KA mixer. Super easy to operate, and you really get a feel of the pasta working it.

Unless you have a great deal of change in your pocket I would get a Atlas machine some where around 30-35$$$ KA is over $100.00 you choice. I like my hand cranked real well

I've heard that the pasta mach attachment for the KA causes alot of mixer problems....
that's why I haven't got one yet.... still looking on the manual kind. Don't get much time to make pasta these days.

Suzi, it's so easy. 3/4 cup AP flour, 1 egg, salt and a drizzle evoo. Combine in a bowl, once incorporated wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. The hardest part is getting out the ingredients. Nothing beats fresh homemade pasta.

Yeah but I have "helpers" and they drive me nuts.
I can see the flour and eggs flying already.......

I've heard that the pasta mach attachment for the KA causes alot of mixer problems....

The thing that really causes a lot of stress on a KA mixer is the Pasta Maker Plates (SNPA) that you use with the Food Grinder Attachment (FGA) to make a pasta extruder. Here is the manual if you want to look at it.

RE: Pasta Extruders (aka Pasta Makers) ... I'm not a fan of the home versions. DeLonghi and Simac made perhaps the best raterd - they are no longer being made. RONCO also made one - it's not even listed on their website these days. The biggest problems were getting the dough consistency just right ... and cleaning.

Now, cookbookie - let's give you a few more things to consider when looking at the roller/cutter pasta machines.

The KA mixer setup is not bad, certainly well made - but relatively expensive (compared to the Atlas and Imperia roller/cutters) and you have a very limited selection of cutters (4). And, the ravioli maker (KRAV) only attaches to the KA mixer to hold it - you have to crank it by hand (see manual).

IMHO - go with either an Atlas 150 or Imperia 150 pasta machine (the standard basic set is the roller + a double cutter - spaghetti and fettuccine for about $50 or so) and if you want it motorized rather than hand cranked - buy the motor (about $85). Then you have a wide selection of cutters to choose from for about $30/each - buy the ones you want. Fante's is just one site with a good selection of what is available for both ... Google around and you might find a better price.

To be honest - after wroking with both the Imperia and Atlas, and the KA attachments - I would not have bought the KA attachments that I did (a roller and 2 cutters).

Hope this helps you more than it confuses you!

Back
Top Bottom