Pasta maker! Help me choose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Siegal

Sous Chef
I want to buy a pasta maker. I have a kitchenaid so I know they have an attachment ( KitchenAid Stand Mixer Pasta Roller Attachment | Williams-Sonoma)

I think a hand crank one would be too difficult although its a lot cheaper?? What do you think.

I was also considering an extruder type pasta maker ( KitchenAid Pasta Press Attachment | Williams-Sonoma)

It seems a lot easier - that you do not need to keep running the sheets of pasta through the press and it makes macaroni and what not but then I cannot have flat sheets if I wanted ravioli or tortellini. Sometimes I have trouble getting pie dough or pita dough thin enough - you think it can be run through a roller? If so That is what I am getting!

Thanks in advance for all your advice

A hand crank pasta roller is most certainly cheaper. There are a few on Amazon with good reviews in the sub-$80 range.

An extruder is a different story. I personally think you would be better off buying the KitchenAid model for that.

(I have both KitchenAid pasta attachment kits)

You can run any bread types through the roller attachment, it would be perfect for pita bread and tortillas.

I have a hand crank Atlas and I love it! Since my KA mixer cannot stay out, it is nothing to set up the Atlas in very little time.

I've had this pasta maker since the '70s and couldn't be happier with it. I have an assortment of cutter heads so I can make a variety of pastas. Last fall the arthritis in both my hands prevented me from using it comfortably so I bought an electric Pastadrive motor from Fante's to retrofit it and now I'm back in business.

I considered getting a pasta maker to fit my KitchenAid mixer but, since I already had all the cutters for my Atlas, I opted for the motor. It was also the less costly route.

I've had this pasta maker since the '70s and couldn't be happier with it. I have an assortment of cutter heads so I can make a variety of pastas. Last fall the arthritis in both my hands prevented me from using it comfortably so I bought an electric Pastadrive motor from Fante's to retrofit it and now I'm back in business.

I considered getting a pasta maker to fit my KitchenAid mixer but, since I already had all the cutters for my Atlas, I opted for the motor. It was also the less costly route.

Same here, when my shoulders give out, I will be getting the motor assist for my Atlas.

I do think she should invest in a motorized machine. Whether it be KA or the Atlas, is her choice. If her KA is out all the time, I would think that would be the route to go. The cost of the different attachments will be cheaper than a motorized Atlas from scratch. When I bought the attachments for my KA they were only $25 each. I have never felt the need to buy the extruder. :)

I keep my KA on the counter. It's too heavy to shlep up and down from the cabinet.

Is a hand one alot of work? I don't mind paying $100 more if this attachment will last me a decade.

I am thinking the KA attachment with the roller (not the extruder) so I can pass pita through!!!

Last edited:
I keep my KA on the counter. It's too heavy to shlep up and down from the cabinet.

Is a hand one alot of work? I don't mind paying $100 more if this attachment will last me a decade.

I am thinking the KA attachment with the roller (not the extruder) so I can pass pita through!!!

"Pasta Roller Attachment Comes complete with Roller, Fegguccine Cutter, Linguine Fin Cutter and Cleaner Brush." Quoted from the box. BTW, the dang box is almost as heavy as the mixer.

So you get three attachments. One roller and two cutters. And brush. They are heavy SS and easy to keep clean and shiny.

From the front of the box. Makes lasagna noodles, fettuccine, and linguine fini.

Hope this answers your question. If not. I will be glad to answer any other questions you may have. I love mine. Saves a lot of hand work. Easy to use. This attachment will last you more than ten years. I have had mine at least for fifteen years. And it still looks and acts like new. :)

Last edited:
I have the same kind as Katie has. I am very fond of it.

I don't think you will find a roller type pasta maker that is wide enough for pie dough, unless you are making individual serving pies. I think it would be good for the pita dough.

You can run any bread types through the roller attachment, it would be perfect for pita bread and tortillas.

I have a hand crank Atlas and I love it! Since my KA mixer cannot stay out, it is nothing to set up the Atlas in very little time.

Me too. The Atlas is a great little machine, and it doesn't take exceptional dexterity to use it. In a pinch, my wife and I team up to use it - one feeding and cranking, the other on the receiving end. Just a quick brushing to clean and it's easy to put away. I considered the KA attachment, but it seemed to be more hassle than the Atlas since it's usually just the two of us. I rarely need to make massive batches.

And there is nothing like fresh pasta, even when you can't get semolina - at our new island home in the Bahamas, we don't have the luxury of a full service supermarket. You use what you can get. ;)

Last edited:
If I bought a pasta maker, I would choose the KA. Probably because I would not have to manually work it [I have a KA mixer], and because I do have arthuritis.

If I bought a pasta maker, I would choose the KA. Probably because I would not have to manually work it [I have a KA mixer], and because I do have arthuritis.

The dough hook does the kneading and the pasta maker does the rest of the work. Saves your hands and muscles when you have a debilitating condition. :)

Me too. The Atlas is a great little machine, and it doesn't take exceptional dexterity to use it. In a pinch, my wife and I team up to use it - one feeding and cranking, the other on the receiving end. Just a quick brushing to clean and it's easy to put away. I considered the KA attachment, but it seemed to be more hassle than the Atlas since it's usually just the two of us. I rarely need to make massive batches.

And there is nothing like fresh pasta, even when you can't get semolina - at our new island home in the Bahamas, we don't have the luxury of a full service supermarket. You use what you can get. ;)

My thoughts exactly, Rick. And, now that I have the electric motor retrofitted to the machine, I can easily make any pasta by myself.

Plus, I fully endorse your comment on cleaning. I clean my little Atlas almost exactly as you do and have been doing so for years. It's wonderful little machine.

I bought a set of pillow cases when I got the Atlas. Brush it off and put in a pillow case and stash in the cupboard. The pillow case keeps the dust off and will catch any flour that is missed when cleaning it off. I do my best to not use any water on it so it won't rust.

Get the pillow cases from the clearance table...cheap appliance covers.

Mine (I should say my husband's) is a Mercato. I don't remember the brand of the one I bought when we first moved here, but the rollers were so poorly milled that the pasta stuck to them and came out ragged, and they were heck (I'm being nice) to clean.

It really does more or less take two to do it, husband does the bulk of the work, I just take the sheets (then noodles) out, dust with flour, and toss to dry. To me, making the pasta is the social part, and we've had fun with nieces, nephews, and children of friends who just love it. This is our 4th machine, not because they were all bad (besides that one), but because we were moving and were ditching everything that was weighty.

I wouldn't buy a motor for mine because to me it is a pleasurable experience, and the noise would eradicate that. However, if I had a KA anyway, then different story.

We did have something for making extruded pasta, but to be honest, didn't like it as much as, say, Barilla extruded pasta. For me the pasta machine is for fetuccini, spaghetti, angel hair, even lasagna. Rolled pasta. I really can taste the difference there.

Mine (I should say my husband's) is a Mercato. I don't remember the brand of the one I bought when we first moved here, but the rollers were so poorly milled that the pasta stuck to them and came out ragged, and they were heck (I'm being nice) to clean.

It really does more or less take two to do it, husband does the bulk of the work, I just take the sheets (then noodles) out, dust with flour, and toss to dry. To me, making the pasta is the social part, and we've had fun with nieces, nephews, and children of friends who just love it. This is our 4th machine, not because they were all bad (besides that one), but because we were moving and were ditching everything that was weighty.

I wouldn't buy a motor for mine because to me it is a pleasurable experience, and the noise would eradicate that. However, if I had a KA anyway, then different story.

We did have something for making extruded pasta, but to be honest, didn't like it as much as, say, Barilla extruded pasta. For me the pasta machine is for fetuccini, spaghetti, angel hair, even lasagna. Rolled pasta. I really can taste the difference there.

Atlas and Marcato are essentially the same machine with the only difference, at least that I've been able to determine, is the design of the track the cutters slide into.

Yes, Claire, I agree about the "social" part of making homemade pasta, but arthritis is so bad in both my hands I simply cannot stand the pain that results from trying to turn the handle. I put off adding the motor until I couldn't take it any more.

Atlas and Marcato are essentially the same machine with the only difference, at least that I've been able to determine, is the design of the track the cutters slide into.

Yes, Claire, I agree about the "social" part of making homemade pasta, but arthritis is so bad in both my hands I simply cannot stand the pain that results from trying to turn the handle. I put off adding the motor until I couldn't take it any more.

My husband is hoping that our new food processor can start the process, his hands are starting to hurt when he does that part.

I bought a set of pillow cases when I got the Atlas. Brush it off and put in a pillow case and stash in the cupboard. The pillow case keeps the dust off and will catch any flour that is missed when cleaning it off. I do my best to not use any water on it so it won't rust.

Get the pillow cases from the clearance table...cheap appliance covers.

That's a great idea. I think I'll steal it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom