Pastry blender, do I really need one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you talking about that curved thing with "blades" that you use when making pie crust? If yes, you can use two butter knives to cut in the shortening. Thrift stores, yard sales, estate sales are places where you can get one of those for next to nothing.

I believe so. Ya well my husband is in school most of the time. Maybe get to the goodwill if im nice enough HAHA

You can find all kinds of kitchen stuff at the goodwill. And, if it is an electrical appliance, you can test it. I've picked up tons of stuff at thrift stores, yard sales, estate sales, and auctions over the years. Some of the stuff was still in its original box--never used. The rototiller we have here at the farm we got at a farm auction for $13. It works fine and made life easier because we didn't have to haul the other rototiller out from the city.

Thanks you all very helpful. Im sure ill get one soon jus wanted to make buttermilk biscuits in morning. Actually think the kids like me cooking from scratch

You can also use a food processor to cut fat into flour if you have one, works well and quick! But then you have a food processor to wash!

Oh ya I seen that on food network just forgot about that. I do have food processor & cleaning it is no biggie. When u cook there is a clean up.

For "cutting in" the butter to make biscuits I just use my hands. Be sure everything is well chilled, cut the butter into small chunks before you start and user your fingertips to "rub" the butter and flour together. You just need to work fast s the butter doesn't melt or get too soft, but if you have it pre-cut the process goes much faster.

I've also heard of people using a box grater and shredding the cold butter.
I find that trick works best if you put the butter in the freezer for about 20 minutes before grating. I also do that with cheese that I want to pass through the grater attachment of the food processor.

Well I tried the two knives in cutting butter while making cheffed biscuits. They turned out great. My family loved it.

For "cutting in" the butter to make biscuits I just use my hands. Be sure everything is well chilled, cut the butter into small chunks before you start and user your fingertips to "rub" the butter and flour together. You just need to work fast s the butter doesn't melt or get too soft, but if you have it pre-cut the process goes much faster.

I use my fingers also. Most times I wear food-grade rubber gloves. They help slow the transfer of heat. Just remember, fingertips not palms! :)

Back
Top Bottom