Philadelphia's Italian Market

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harleychef

Assistant Cook
Having lived in south jersey most of my life ( i now live in nc) I spent alot of time in Philly. One year I discovered the famous italian market of 9th street in south philly. talk about sensory overload. While there, we wandered into the coolest kitchen supply store called Fantes. I felt like I was in the DisneyWorld of kitchen stores. The gadgets, cookware flavorings, decorating supplies..... the list just goes on and on was soooo amazing. I feel compelled to share this info with those who may not be familiar with this wonderful store. The have a website that literally takes days to thoroughly peruse. It is fantes.com Check it out-- ya'll will be thrilled with it. Sandy:chef:

I know the Italian market well. Fantes is awesome (so is their website) and diBruno Brothers' Cheese shop! OMG, and the Spice Shop, and all the fresh veg and fruit sellers, and the butcher etc etc. I live an hour away...I go 4 times a year.

"Italian Market" ..Greetings From Philly;~)..
That's Why i love this site.. its always something new to learn & I enjoy meeting new people,,, We haven't been in philly all that long. and I haven't really had the opportunity to find all the special shopping spots and things like that as yet... And with my love for cooking & creating new dishes i am having the hardest time finding the different ingredients and utensils that i need,,when i was living in NYC,, it was my playground i knew where just about everything was. but here I could use some help.. Thx in advance
jewels
[/QUOTE]

Italian Market..Greetings From Philly;~)..
That's Why i love this site.. its always something new to learn & I enjoy meeting new people,,, We haven't been in philly all that long. and I haven't really had the opportunity to find all the special shopping spots and things like that as yet... And with my love for cooking & creating new dishes i am having the hardest time finding the different ingredients and utensils that i need,,when i was living in NYC,, it was my playground i knew where just about everything was. but here I could use some help.. Thx in advance
jewels
sweetface 2u - you should thoroughly enjoy shopping in Philly . It has been over 5 years since we lived up there. One great place to shop is the Reading Terminal Market in Center City. It's very busy and a whole lot of fun. Check for hours since they used to vary. There are also some neat restaurant supply stores in Old City with some interesting items. I don't know if they still have it but the Italian Market used to have a yearly festival in May when they closed down 9th street for a great party. Bands, food and fun. Enjoy your adventures ! Sandy

I've never had the opportunity to visit their store but have purchased many items from them via the Internet. They have a fantastic selection and I have to rein myself in each time I get ready to place an order.

Oh, darn! Now you've reminded me of them.:ohmy:

Great site with lots of things hard to find other places. A great treasure for those who live out in the sticks. And good prices.:chef:

OMG. Philly's Italian market. DiBruno Brothers...(weeping softly). We were able to have one blissful visit when my brother lived there. What a wonderful place!

Last edited:
Thanks! Haven't looked yet, but it sounds like a great site to bookmark.

Tim Abbott

I've always wanted to go to that market. I had never heard of it til I watched an episode of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" and decided to look it up to see if it was real. Sure enough, that place looks a w e s o m e. Hopefully, I can make the trek out there one day.

My first trip to Philly was a couple of years ago when we were visiting my SIL who lives in Pitman, NJ. We did the tourist thing, and did have lunch at Campos (SP?). I would love to check out some of the places you have mentioned the next time we are up that way. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom