Pot Rack Use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lucky28

Assistant Cook
I've been readng people's questions about cookware storage. I advise against stacking any pieces that might scratch or chip, ie. enameled or non-stick. A ceiling or wall mounted pot rack is a very good solution. It can hold several pot, pans, lids and utensils. There are a variety of styles, sizes and colors of pot racks.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I adore my pot rack!!!! The guy that installed it made sure it was mounted to the celing joists in the attic so even my heaviest Le Cruset 5 Qt. is up on it. And the shelf area above is perfect for all the lids. :angel:

I have mine firmly attached to the joists above my range, and it is loaded with around 25 copper pots and pans. I would guess over a hundred pounds. Aside from being attractive, all the pans are within easy reach and always available. The downside to storing over the stove is that they catch all the grease that rises,

Caslon-you can start small, you know. Even a utility bar rack could help. We have a small house and the rack has really helped. The Dutch oven stays on the stove, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have mine firmly attached to the joists above my range, and it is loaded with around 25 copper pots and pans. I would guess over a hundred pounds. Aside from being attractive, all the pans are within easy reach and always available. The downside to storing over the stove is that they catch all the grease that rises,

You don't have to have the rack installed over the stove. I have seen homes that have it installed over the island across from the stove. Or even off to the side a few feet. You want it installed away from the stove, yet within reach without taking too many steps. :chef:

You don't have to have the rack installed over the stove. I have seen homes that have it installed over the island across from the stove. Or even off to the side a few feet. You want it installed away from the stove, yet within reach without taking too many steps. :chef:

Mine is over the island/ sink.

I built ours out of wood dowels. "S" hooks are used to hang the pots/utensils. It hangs from the joists, via chain, above the Island. Been there for a long time. The only problem is I keep hitting my head on the heavy mandolin. Can't raise it cause others wouldn't be able to reach anything.;)

Craig

I hate to be the fly in the ointment, but I wouldn't have any kind of a pot rack even if I could.

Well, maybe if I was hanging a vintage collection of copper pots and nothing else, but few people are so lucky.
Otherwise, I think they look ugly and messy and they just are not my thing.
I like the oversize drawers for my skillets (paper plates between them) and for the pots and pans. I keep my large red enameled cast iron dutch oven on top of the refrigerator. It looks pretty up there, but it's the devil to get down.

Last edited:
I hate to be the fly in the ointment, but I wouldn't have any kind of a pot rack even if I could.

Well, maybe if I was hanging a vintage collection of copper pots and nothing else, but few people are so lucky.
I like the oversize drawers for my skillets (paper plates between them) and for the pots and pans. I keep my large red enameled cast iron dutch oven on top of the refrigerator. It looks pretty up there, but it's the devil to get down.

I hear ya K. I had a small pot rack given to me many yers ago. It collected dust and was always in the way. I tossed it out. I didn't even give it away. Why give someone else misery. I have a beautiful Depression Era green glass batter bowl sitting on top of my fridge. I want my pretty things to be seen. And pots are not pretty as a rule. To display them you have to do a lot of scrubbing. I would rather spend my time doing volunteer work. :yum:

That is what I have. I have accumulated over many years and use them all. Stopped buying as I am out of room.

Attachments

• 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 206
Hmm. I like things to look nice, too, and I have lots of interesting stuff in my kitchen, but I like my tools out where I can find them. I have a pot rack on the wall across from the stove, and a magnetic knife rack beside the stove.

Julia Child had pegboards on her kitchen walls, with all of her tools hung out for the world to see.

Hmm. I like things to look nice, too, and I have lots of interesting stuff in my kitchen, but I like my tools out where I can find them. I have a pot rack on the wall across from the stove, and a magnetic knife rack beside the stove.

Julia Child had pegboards on her kitchen walls, with all of her tools hung out for the world to see.

Her husband designed her kitchen for her. :chef:

Bigjim68 said:
That is what I have. I have accumulated over many years and use them all. Stopped buying as I am out of room.

Very nice, Jim!

That copper collection is gorgeous Jim and I would want to display it too but you have to spend a lot of time and effort to keep it clean over the stove.

Do you have a vent fan in the cook top? I have a vent fan over my stove and it needs a good cleaning often.

That copper collection is gorgeous Jim and I would want to display it too but you have to spend a lot of time and effort to keep it clean over the stove. Do you have a vent fan in the cook top?
I have a vent fan over my stove and it needs a good cleaning often.

The copper does not take as much time to keep up as you would think. Mine is never pristine as I treat it as tools and it gets used daily. Generally it gets clean as I use it.

I do have a vent fan. Mine is a downdraft popup style that matches the stove and vents outside. It is completely concealed when not in use. There is no way to use an overhead one in my home. The popups move a lot of air. I would recommend them for situations like mine.

Her husband designed her kitchen for her. :chef:

that's interesting, because when i saw a picture of it with the utilitarian pegboards for pots and pans, i thought it looked like a garage.

we have a small, 3 to 4 foot single shelf pot rack in the upstairs kitchen. the spacing of the wall mounts doesn't exactly line up with the wall studs, so i made sure i hit the studs on one side, then used heavy duty auger type wallboard mounts on the other side. it works for about 7 or 8 of the emerilware and tramontina ss pans.

that's interesting, because when i saw a picture of it with the utilitarian pegboards for pots and pans, i thought it looked like a garage.

Julia child's kitchen has been moved to the Smithsonian, pretty neat!

If I had my druthers I would have a "pretty" kitchen and a "garage" kitchen with a let it all hang out approach. When I was growing up we had a summer kitchen for the heavy cooking. It had a large central work table with a shelf underneath to hold the big pots. My city friends all grew up with what was affectionately known as an Italian family room. I think it makes sense as the headquarters of a family home. I miss that!

Today I have a tiny apartment kitchen with a bookcase as a pot rack/pantry. It works if you keep it looking neat and organized!:wacko:

Julia child's kitchen has been moved to the Smithsonian, pretty neat!

If I had my druthers I would have a "pretty" kitchen and a "garage" kitchen with a let it all hang out approach. When I was growing up we had a summer kitchen for the heavy cooking. It had a large central work table with a shelf underneath to hold the big pots. My city friends all grew up with what was affectionately known as an Italian family room. I think it makes sense as the headquarters of a family home. I miss that!

Today I have a tiny apartment kitchen with a bookcase as a pot rack/pantry. It works if you keep it looking neat and organized!:wacko:

I have fond memories of the summer kitchen. It's main purpose was for canning the fall harvest. But was used during the summer if it was too hot and didn't want to heat the house up from cooking. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom