Question about potato ricer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I went out and bought a potatoe ricer because I saw on the early show where Bobby Flay said that it was the best way to make mashed potatoes. All he did was rice them, add the extras, and stir them up. Well, I tried it and the potaoes were cold by the time we ate them. I'm just wondering if I did something wrong.

not that i can tell. ricers add more air than the standard stick masher, so that would help cool them off, but if you just nuke them for a minute before serving, you should be back in business... imo. anyone else have an idea?? audeo, lifter, goodweed, marmalady, ironchef? any one of our experts around?

I guess I will have to try that, I just dont understand why he didnt. Maybe it was that it was on tv.

I love my ricer. I have everything ready to mix when they are riced, so I haven't noticed them getting cool on me, but if they get cooler than you'd like, just put them in the microwave for a quick warmup.

Do you just stir them with a spoon once riced or what? Thats all he did on tv

Hey elm...try heating the butter and milk before you add them to the riced potatoes. I ran into the same difficulty until I saw how my MIL did hers. Now we have hot taters all the time.

Elm2003,
I am actually watching "how to boil water" right now and they are addressing this same problem. They said to heat on a stove the butter and cream before riceing the potatoes. Get them nice and hot, rice the potatoes, and then add the hot cream and butter directly to the potatoes. Then you should be good to go. Hope this helps.

elm2003 said:
Well, I went out and bought a potatoe ricer because I saw on the early show where Bobby Flay said that it was the best way to make mashed potatoes. All he did was rice them, add the extras, and stir them up. Well, I tried it and the potaoes were cold by the time we ate them. I'm just wondering if I did something wrong.

Try warming the milk and butter, it could help.

Has anyone read any of Tom Colicchio's books?

Tom is the owner and EC of Craft, Gramercy Tavern, and 'WichCraft in NYC. He has two books, Think Like A Chef and Craft of Cooking. BOTH are among my favorites.

Anyway....

In Craft of Cooking, he gives his restuarant's recipe of potato puree. The book is currently on loan, but if memory serves me well, there are minimal ingredients. Riced potatoes, warmed 1/2 and 1/2, warmed butter, salt and pepper, and chives.

I am jumping on the "warm your dairy" band wagon. :)

RJ

Darn CAT.. woke me up again and I fed her last night too.. (anyone want a cat???) just kidding... okay here's my $0.02 worth:

Soft boiled eggs served in egg cups seem to be growing in popularity... a couple years ago on eBay there were 100-150 listings... now there are over 700.. albeit eBay has grown but not that much. And those "chicken" egg scissors by Wusthof appeared once or twice a month and now there are about 8 listings...

You CAN soft boil eggs so the white is firm, but it takes good timing. I use an electric egg cooker, also by Krups, with a measuring cup for the water. If I use the same size eggs each time, they come out fairly consistent for how soft they are.

The cooker works for hard boiled eggs too but I usually hard boil in my rice cooker.. put in a dozen Jumbo eggs, 3/4 cup water.. about 22 minutes later run cold water over them.. pretty idiot proof. I use Grade A eggs rather than AA 'cause they are older and I can peel them.. it takes an act of Congress to peel fresher eggs :)

I haven't tried the Kale soup yet.. I can't find a recipe that seems to be like grandma's... I suspect she boiled the meats first and used the broth with the ground greens. What else was added I dont' know! I'll have to do more hunting.

I wanted to catch this and add something before this dropped to page 2...

One other thing that a potato ricer is good for, is.. when you have a large potato chip size bag of fresh spinach and cook it.. and it leaves you with a coffee cup size bunch of cooked spinach that's full of water, I drain mine this way:

Usually, I toss the cooked spinach in my salad spinner and spin the water out of it (I have the salad spinner out anyway 'cause I use the outside bowl to wash my fresh spinach).. but you can also stuff the cooked spinach in your potato ricer and squeeze GENTLY (you don't wanna puree your spinach) and it drains the water out.. and it's easy clean up.. no towels to wash or anything.

Great tip lutzzz! I usually go through a whole roll of paper towels when I drain my spinich.

"Oh honey bunches, I have another thing I want to add to my Christmas list!"

This is the one I have... I buy a lot from Amazon 'cause I add something else to make it $25 and get free shipping. (There's always some esoteric gadget I can't live without to round out the order.)...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004OCJQ/002-7450598-3171257?v=glance

I also really like the Oxo one.. it's more money than a lot of them but it's very sturdy and comfortable to use... my impression anyway.

I don't have a food mill yet... I guess it handles potatoes about the same way as a ricer but also the benefit of doing tomatoes and stuff.. which I don't do. And it seems it would be harder to clean than the ricer... but I'll no doubt add a food mill one day :)

Back
Top Bottom