Ramekins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
choclatechef said:
I am afraid of open flame, so I can't use a torch.

That is why I like the old fashioned salamander. Heat on stove top and pass heated portion over the food to brown it.

img_109149_0_760ad4d3381a5b0ea0ff14f354bc5dd7.jpg

I love the looks of this, choc! Hubby bought me a little kitchen propane torch for Christmas, and I'm scared to death of it! The last thing we need is for me to burn our house down! :shock:

kitchenelf said:
:ohmy: :shock: :ohmy: I thought the burnt cheese was what it was all about? LOL That's my favorite - the bubbly cheese. It melts in the microwave but not like under a broiler.
JMHO of course :chef: :)
I think a carmelized, brownish color is very appealing, however the last time I was in the midst of this process my neighbor, Nurse Jennifer, was doing her lawn in her short shorts and tank top - black, crispy cheese is a lot less appealing! Also, I don't have a double oven, so the broiling function typically conflicts with baking the rolls or finishing something else.

Try Cost Plus World Market, they have a great selection. Bed Bath and Beyond has a rather nice selection as well. T hen there are the clear glass ones made by anchor stocking that you find in wal=mart.

choclatechef said:
I have some enameled cast iron Le Creuset miniature casseroles I found in a thrift shop a few years ago for $1 each [I bought all 8 of them]. They are perfect for french onion soup, individual desserts, pot pies, and custards and other uses.

I know you can buy them through restaurant supply catalogs, and JB Prince had them at one time also.

http://www.bizrate.com/buy/noncat_prod_details__oid--301856967.html

You had a bit of luck there! I dream of finds like that. Just thinking about it I begin to salivate. Dishes! Crockery! bowls! name it, I love it.

Pam

Hey Otter, if you didn't get your soup bowls let me know. We got a bunch witht he new joint. I'll make you a deal.

Rainee said:
Hey Otter, if you didn't get your soup bowls let me know. We got a bunch witht he new joint. I'll make you a deal.
Thanks Rainee, but I've gotten into doing the toaster, microwave thing. Not an aesthetic carmelized color, but it never burns either.

Back
Top Bottom