Recipe Storage Solutions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
How do you store recipes? For years I've had a note book (3 ring binder type) that I added pages to but since most recipes get spit out of my printer this involved printing, then cutting them and taping them to the notebook page - totally horrible.

I've looked at some recipe apps but ultimately don't want a digital interface - I want a written recipe propped up on my counter. So I've been thinking of an old school recipe box that would hold large index cards (which I can run through my printer). Some of them have a slot in the top of the lid you can prop up your card in - seems handy-ish.

What do you use?

8.5x11 sheets in a 3" three-ring binder with dividers by recipe category. The "original" is on my computer and backed up. I don't use plastic sheet protectors. They're too costly, take up a ton of space in the binder and it's much cheaper to reprint a soiled or modified page.

I use digital storage, 8 Gb thumb drive. Recipes are Word documents (RTF). When I want to use one, I print it and the printed recipe goes into a three ring notebook afterwards.

I do the same as Andy, with the addition of a program called Living Cookbook. I don't put all my recipes in LC, but it's handy for copying recipes from the Internet and changing them up to suit our tastes before printing, and I put in my own recipes, too. When you copy recipes from online, there's a place to paste the entire recipe, then highlight items and click Source, Ingredients, Procedure, etc. and add tips and photos.

It also will easily change the number of servings and tell me how much of each ingredient I need and nutrition information for each recipe, so I can tweak based on that, if I want. It's good for keeping track of menus, too. For example, DH takes a group of teachers on a retreat every year and I have the recipes in folders for different meals (Mexican, Italian, low-country boil, etc.).

Now, I actually have three 3-ring binders: one for baking, one for appies, beverages, soups, stocks, sandwiches, etc., and one for meats, poultry, seafood, salads, sides, etc. I print on regular printer paper and have a 3-ring hole punch on my desk, so I just put the sheets in the binder.

Last edited:
I've tried various recipe/cookbook software and was not pleased with any. The only real benefit was the ability to calculate nutritional information easily.

I use MS Word and maintain a standard recipe format with consistent measurement abbreviations, font type and size, etc.

Only recipes I will use regularly are printed and put into to three-ring binder.

Also, several years ago when DH was a high school teacher, he bought a recipe holder for me from the shop class. I keep it on a bookshelf with my cookbooks when it's not in use:

Attachments

• 2013-09-13 14.40.22.jpg
    2013-09-13 14.40.22.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 313
  • 2013-09-13 14.41.30.jpg
    2013-09-13 14.41.30.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 297
I've tried various recipe/cookbook software and was not pleased with any. The only real benefit was the ability to calculate nutritional information easily.

I use MS Word and maintain a standard recipe format with consistent measurement abbreviations, font type and size, etc.

Only recipes I will use regularly are printed and put into to three-ring binder.

Whatever works for you :) I used MasterChef for a while, then they stopped supporting it and making new versions, so I went without for a while. I found I missed it, so I looked for different software and found Living Cookbook.

Pretty much like Andy, but I type mine up in Libre Office, copy and paste to text, or to libre office if there are photos, and lots, I just print them to a PDF. I use the free version of PDF-XChange Viewer. It lets me add notes, text boxes, and callout bubbles to my file.

I take the printed copy and stick it on the fridge with a couple of magnets when I want to use the recipe. I don't usually print a recipe until I am going to make it.

I'm trying to save trees. I keep all of my recipes in MS Word format and store them in Dropbox. I have them categorized in different folders. Using the Windows search feature, I can search by ingredients or keywords. I usually have my laptop or tablet in the kitchen, so I just pull it up and read off the screen. Of course I also have the option of printing it out, too.

img_1300548_0_2baf62e4a49a0da450a67150c1d661be.jpg

I lost one laptop to a spilled glass of wine. Knowing me, computer in the kitchen is an accident waiting to happen. I also don't really have any counter space for it. I can just see it squeezed in somewhere and getting knocked onto the floor.

I am all in favour of saving trees and computers. ;)

I too use a 3 ring notebook. I start by writing a recipe as I make the dish, then make notes on it of changes and what worked or didn't work. As I make changes eventually when I have the recipe the way I want it, I type it up and print out a copy which is stapled on top of the previous versions.

I also have 4 X 6 index cards in a recipe box for short recipes. I include notes for round two recipes, i.e., taco meat is used for tacos, burritos, taco mac & cheese, or chili. I always make a lot for that purpose.

I also use a separate notebook for recipes I want to try.

Last edited:
I have a Microsoft Publisher program and copy and paste into that. I can do a word search and find what I'm looking for. If I spot a recipe in the newspaper or magazine, I check to see if it's on line, if so, it's copied and pasted into that file. If not, I clip it and it goes into a folder in a file cabinet (wood).

I also use Living Cookbook - very nice program. It will break down nutritional info and recipes are easily re-worked for more or less servings with a simple click of the mouse.

I have all mine backed up and those that are TNT are printed and put in a 3 ring binder. I do use page protectors simply because I am a "splasher".

I like that book holder GG .... think I will ask DH to make one for me.

I'm old fashioned. I have the card file. They are hand written cards. Some are in Grandma's handwriting and I have some my mom wrote out (both are now in heaven) so those are precious. I copy recipes from here into word and print it out to try. If we like it, it gets a card. If we don't, it gets recycled. I thought about typing up all my cards but I like the convenience of the card. I use a clothespin on a magnet to hold the card to my stove hood. They also travel nicely in my wallet when we go to my in-laws or I go to the store.

Steve, have you considered displaying your ingredients list in two columns? Saves vertical space and allows me to keep almost all my recipes to one page.

Hadn't thought of that, but it's a good idea. On my laptop I also have the option of displaying two pages side by side, but it can be a little hard to read.

Hadn't thought of that, but it's a good idea. On my laptop I also have the option of displaying two pages side by side, but it can be a little hard to read.

I can do that too but can't read it. I rarely cook from a recipe on the computer. I flip open my book and use the paper. I often make changes or notes so this works for me.

I have mine on the computer, print out when I use a recipe. On the inside of a cupboard door I have a spot of velcro and I use a sheet protector with the opposing velcro spot and hang it there. The cupboard door doesn't interfere with anything except the back door. If I like the recipe it goes into a notebook.

I just use a Word recipe template. I still have the recipe file box I started in Junior High School and it's chock full. One of these days I may get around to getting all those recipes in the computer except for the cards handwritten by a friendly lunch lady I met when I was in grade school, she made them out for me when I asked for the recipes of school lunch food. Her name was Izola and she is no longer with us.

I found an old Dell laptop with Windows 95. It was for $20.00 in a yard sale. I put recipes on it and use it for the kitchen and cooking computer. It is too old and too slow for the Internet but it works well for this application.

Your friend,
~Cat

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom