Recommendation for a really big saute/frying pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm looking for a recommendation for a really large (like 14" across or bigger) and preferrably somewhat deep saute pan.

Not like a wok, but a large pan with sides.

I looked into the All Clad 14", but they have some reviews about warping.

Cast iron isn't an option due to it's weight, but other metals are ok.

Does anyone use or have a particularly favorite large frying pan?

The largest that I have is a five qt. 12" Cuisinart sauté pan, which heats evenly, and no warping, so far. I switched to that (because it is induction capable) from a very old Calphalon 12" sauté pan, also five qt., which probably got more use than any other pan on my wall, except for woks. Still doing well in a friend's kitchen! I do have one of those 16" CI pans, but, as you noted, it is incredibly heavy, so it is collecting dust in my basement!

I received a very large one made by Cuisinart. The total cost was just over $55.00 which included shipping. That was about five or more years ago. The price may have gone up a bit more since then.

I love that pan. I used it to make a very large frittata for a party. There was a little left over and my grandson came down and ate the rest of it cold. Then asked me to make another one just for him. I was happy to do it for him. The pan has a very good helper handle on the other side. I comes with a cover. I used that cover to flip the frittata. Perfect! I love it. I will often fill it with water and cook pasta in it. The pasta seems to cook much faster in that pan.

My saucepan is a draining pan with straining holes in the lid. And it too is a Cuisinart. I am very happy with Cuisinart. And I still have both arms and one leg. Come summertime, I will be ordering a smaller Cuisinart saucepan. It is part of making my kitchen safer to work in.

Lol, look at yous...

Addie, how big is the pan across? How deep are the sides?

My wife loves Cuisinart stuff, so that may be the ticket. She has terrible carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists, and something called De Quervain's tenosynovitis, so heavy pans are not something to be considered..

However, she is the destroyer of all non-stick pans (I wish I could Trademark that account of her) and has recently discovered my vintage Tramontina 14" deep saute pan, and now uses it all the time.

I fear it's life is short, so I'm looking for a replacement, or sacrificial substitute if I can secret away my original pan before it has met its maker.

She mentioned an interest in a large, all stainless steel pan. One can only hope.

I like my 12", 5 quart one from my Anolon set I bought a few years after we moved here. It is just now showing wear in spite of being non-stick. Sadly, I don't see one just like it from Anolon anymore. I do remember Steve Kroll mentioning a 12" pan he had bought a few years ago, and that he was happy with his new Calphalon Classic Nonstick 12" It's deep and has a helper handle.

The only bigger pans I found on BedBugs&Beyond were 13". I'm guessing you won't find any 14" that aren't cast iron, since standard stovetop burners tend to be no larger than 12".

I have the pan for you, but unfortunately Calphalon no longer makes it. They called it a 16" paella pan, and it's essentially a skillet with two helper handles. It's not the thin pan that's commonly called a paella pan. I also have an All-Clad 13" tri-ply paella pan, which is also a skillet with two helper handles. I bought it two years ago during their factory seconds sale, but it looks like it's also discontinued. You might want to search for paella pans. I've seen large carbon steel and tri-ply pans listed, but don't have any experience with them.

Bucky, I don't know about your computer, but I am now seeing ads for T-Fal on this page. Are they trying to tell you something? lol here I am - here I am - come and get me lol

The big All Clad is exactly what you are looking for. Very large with maybe 3 or 4 inch sides.

Ive had mine for 20 years and zero warping or any issue whatsoever. Bought a cosmetic second from Cookware and More.

All Clad sells factory seconds through homeandcooksales.com. I've picked up a few pieces, and I can't tell what is wrong with them. They have a sale every other month or so. I'm on their email list, which I think I signed up through All Clad's site.

Bucky check out:

Hackensack Supply Co
Restaurant supply store in Paramus, New Jersey

Address: 545 NJ-17, Paramus, NJ 07652

Hours: Open ⋅ Closes 5PM
Monday
8AM–5PM
Tuesday
8AM–5PM
Wednesday
8AM–5PM
Thursday
8AM–5PM
Friday
8AM–5PM
Saturday
Closed
Sunday
Closed

Phone: (201) 652-2500

I bought a nice big pan with lid there (many years ago) that I loved. It has since been packed away during some repairs in kitchen. It is in a "safe place", so safe I can't find it! :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Last edited:
I have the allclad pan with a lid and it's great - I've had no issues with it. But I think a paella pan would do well for you and might be cheaper. Mine is 13 inches across and about 3 inches deep.

pan.jpg

Thank you, everyone, for your help.

I like the idea of a ss paella pan, but I'll have to ask my wife if she would prefer 2 helper handles, or a regular long handle plus a helper.

Thanks again.

I like the idea of a ss paella pan, but I'll have to ask my wife if she would prefer 2 helper handles, or a regular long handle plus a helper.

Thanks again.
If you are considering a regular long handle, you might want to verify that it will fit in your oven. My 16" pan takes up a lot of real estate.

I have two large skillets. One is an aluminum non-stick I got from Ace Mart (restaurant supply), and the other is a le Cruset cast iron that I got half price at the le Cruset outlet.

Neither has exceptionally high sides, but the Ace Mart pan has higher sides than the LC.

Both are at least 14-inches. The Ace Mart pan may be 16-inches.

The aluminum pan will eventually warp, but it was cheap, and I don't use it very often. The LC cast iron pan takes two hands to lift -- but would probably make a good home defense weapon.

CD

I have the allclad pan with a lid and it's great - I've had no issues with it. But I think a paella pan would do well for you and might be cheaper. Mine is 13 inches across and about 3 inches deep.

View attachment 33581

Ah, I forgot, I have one of those, too. That has pretty deep sides. Another good option.

EDIT: Just looked, and mine is not All Clad... it is Calphalon, and I think they called it a "Paella Pan" when I bought it.

CD

Last edited:
My 14" pan is nonstick, fairly heavy weight aluminum. The brand is called "Bakers and Chefs", available from Amazon for about $35. It has not warped at all, nor has my 12" pan of the same brand. Neither one comes with a cover, but will accept most any generic cover that will fit the appropriate size pan. I don't have a cover for my 14" pan.

When I need a cover on my 12" pan, I use the one that came with a Calphalon fry pan which cost more but the nonstick didn't hold up as well as on this cheaper pan. I tossed the pan, but kept the cover.

Lol, look at yous...

Addie, how big is the pan across? How deep are the sides?

My wife loves Cuisinart stuff, so that may be the ticket. She has terrible carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists, and something called De Quervain's tenosynovitis, so heavy pans are not something to be considered..

However, she is the destroyer of all non-stick pans (I wish I could Trademark that account of her) and has recently discovered my vintage Tramontina 14" deep saute pan, and now uses it all the time.

I fear it's life is short, so I'm looking for a replacement, or sacrificial substitute if I can secret away my original pan before it has met its maker.

She mentioned an interest in a large, all stainless steel pan. One can only hope.

Pirate just measured it for me to make sure. I certainly don['t want to give you the wrong information.

Fourteen 1/2 inches across. He didn't measure the height for me. but they are nice and high. And there is a cover that fits very nicely. Well worth the money to me.

I too have carpal tunnel problems. I didn't realize it until I went to a rheumatologist for a different problem. She just tapped the base of each finger, and it hurt.

This pan does have a nice big helper handle. It is on there as strong as the handle.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-73...qid=1550091180&sr=8-4&keywords=cuisinart+pans

Hope this answers your question and will be of help to you.

I have two large skillets. The aluminum pan will eventually warp, but it was cheap, and I don't use it very often. The LC cast iron pan takes two hands to lift -- but would probably make a good home defense weapon.

CD
Note to self. Do not try to break into the home of caseydog! He has a dangerous weapon. Thanks for the warning. ;)

Thanks again.
The problem with two helper handles is that you always need two hands to lift and if you like to shake or move stuff around, they can get hot because they aren't generally insulated and closer to the heat source..I have an SS commercial pan and it is a one trick pony IMHO. I just use it for rice dishes like paella or spanishm or curries. Cool pan, but I don't use it a lot . I'd go with one long handle and one helper on the other side. Easier to use and more versatile..

Last edited:
The problem with two helper handles is that you always need two hands to lift and if you like to shake or move stuff around, they can get hot because they aren't generally insulated and closer to the heat source..I have an SS commercial pan and it is a one trick pony IMHO. I just use it for rice dishes like paella or spanishm or curries. Cool pan, but I don't use it a lot . I'd go with one long handle and one helper on the other side. Easier to use and more versatile..

I have to agree with you. The long handle is much safer. I once had to two handle pan and it was a PITA. Turned out to be useless. For the reasons stated above.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom