? Rusty cookie cutters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
Gasp - Opened the plastic container they were in (haven't used them since we moved a year ago - this had to have happened in NJ, in the basement) and they're kinda rusty - any cleaning suggestions?

Wasn't sure where to put this - here or in 'equipment'?

If they are aluminum, replace as they are pretty cheap. If they are stainless (??) equal parts of baking soda and white vinegar and scrub away. Hope it works.

Tx - They're the cheapy aluminum ones, but I don't have time to scrounge around the stores for new ones; I'll try the baking soda/vinegar on them and see if it works!

Choclatechef is right, aluminum does not rust. Neither does stainless steel. My best guess is that these cookie cutters are tinplate steel. The steel is what's rusting. Soaking them in vinegar overnight should remove the rust. Next time make sure they are completely dry before you pack them away. A light covering of crisco might help as well.

Tin - I meant to say tin, really I did!

Scott, they were dry and packed in a plastic tub; but we had a flood in our basement where they were stored, and apparently some moisture got into them - Grrr!

Hoping this is not seen as "advertising", if ever need to remove "light" rust quickly, a good scrub with "CLR" has always worked for me...I believe the knock-offs would work as well, but can't remember the type of acid that is in this ...maybe another member will pick up on it...

It works for "deeply rusted" articles, too, you just need to soak it longer....

Lifter

I have to go along with lifter ..... use CLR and a scotchbrite pad to scrub them ... then before you put them away coat them with some oil - like you would cast iron.

I don't understand the use of baking soda and vinegar ... soda is a base and vinegar is an acid ... they tend to cancel each other out ...

Michael, my gramma always used to use baking soda and lemon juice to clean a burned pot; I'm assuming the vinegar would do the same. It's a nifty little 'science' experiment - try putting some baking soda in a bowl, then add a little lemon juice, and watch it fizz! I'm thinking probably that 'fizz' is what gets in and cleans or loosens.

As for my poor cookie-cutters - I've gotten them as clean as I could - looking them over, some of them did have rust - little brown spots around the 'seams'; while others just had the black spots from the tinned - whatever.

But at least they're clean, and I don't think anything is going to 'stain' the cookies. Maybe next year, i'll ask Santa for a whole new set!

marmalady said:
Michael, my gramma always used to use baking soda and lemon juice to clean a burned pot; I'm assuming the vinegar would do the same. It's a nifty little 'science' experiment - try putting some baking soda in a bowl, then add a little lemon juice, and watch it fizz! I'm thinking probably that 'fizz' is what gets in and cleans or loosens.

As for my poor cookie-cutters - I've gotten them as clean as I could - looking them over, some of them did have rust - little brown spots around the 'seams'; while others just had the black spots from the tinned - whatever.

But at least they're clean, and I don't think anything is going to 'stain' the cookies. Maybe next year, i'll ask Santa for a whole new set!

If I were you, next time I would go for stainless steel....

Lifter said:
Hoping this is not seen as "advertising", if ever need to remove "light" rust quickly, a good scrub with "CLR" has always worked for me...I believe the knock-offs would work as well, but can't remember the type of acid that is in this ...maybe another member will pick up on it...

CLR is phosphoric acid. Any acid will remove rust (vinegar, lemon juice, etc.), although CLR is a stronger acid and will work faster.

If the rust is really bad Naval Jelly is one of the more potent acids you can get retail. Just be reeeeeeeally carefull working with it.

With any of these acids, you have to soak the item. Scrubbing won't work.

Tx for all the help, guys - they're as clean and smooth as they're gonna get; still have 'marks' on them, but did a sample 'cutting' on an old pie crust found at the back of the fridge - :oops: - and they made no marks on the dough, so I should be good to go!

In a pinch, I think I would have just grabbed an emory board and gone to town with that...and for fine grooves, some folded fine-grit sandpaper.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom