Show Us Your Kitchens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GLC

Head Chef
Where to put this? I guess this is as good a place as any. I like to see kitchen designs, to see how people have adapted their space to their wants and methods. So, maybe some of you would like to show off your kitchens and talk a bit about what you wanted, what you used, and the limitations you had to work with.

I'll start. We live in a 1920's Texas farm house that has been virtually untouched since it was built. We tore out everything interior down to the bare wood walls, salvaged the wood floors we could, replaced all but three windows, moved everyh door in the house, rewired and replumbed. All ceilings were left their original 10+ feet.

The kitchen was left as a bare room. All the fixtures are stand-alone, not built in. The "L" stainless counter and integrated sink had separate drawer cabinet and dishwasher slid under it. All the steel, including the cabinets and center table, were repurposed commercial food prep and medical pieces. She-Who-Thinks-She-Is-In-Charge is in the antique business (Buy Junk - Sell Antiques), so all the decor is "found."

I've never before had a kitchen I really liked a lot. This one is getting close to my ideal. If I could have chosen, I would have left a bit more room near the range for cookware, but we wanted the windows (view of the neighbor's longhorns), and the steel counter/sink was just the size it was. Like many of us, I could really get along with fewer pots and pans than I have. This was the original kitchen space, and the pine floor was in bad shape from damp and wear and not fit for refinishing, so it was stained black. That finish has worn off in the high use area along the counter, and I'll soon have to deal with that, probably with a mat or some kind.

Show what you've done. I especially am fascinated by very small kitchens that work.

Attachments

• K1.jpg
    K1.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 223
  • K2.jpg
    K2.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 234
  • K3.jpg
    K3.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 216
  • k4.jpg
    k4.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 211
  • k5.jpg
    k5.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 215
Nice kitchen. Maye i'll take some pictures when it's cleaner. ; ). I dont' have anything fancy though. but the stainless steel and island is pretty.

You have a very busy looking kitchen, GLC.

Exactly the right observation. One of the hazards of being in the junktique business is all the things you want to keep for yourself. For instance, I had to keep the great painting of the Mexican kitchen. You end up having to make a rule that, if you want to keep something, something of equal size has to go. The problem is that you don't adopt the rule until you have to because the space is full.

We live in a town house condo with a pretty small kitchen. in 2008 we did a remodel replacing the counter tops with engineered stone and floors with tile and hardwood, new sink and fixtures, new lighting and fixing up the surroundings.

Attachments

• DSC03043.jpg
    DSC03043.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 205
  • DSC03107.jpg
    DSC03107.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 205
:clap: GLC, now there's a kitchen with some real personality!! Very unique, and I LOVE it !!!

You can be sure that you have a kitchen like no other, and I especially like all the decorative items...the choppers crack me up.

My kitchen is very ordinary and boring...... I'm jealous. :ermm:

Nice kitchen Andy......I'll post a pick of mine when it's cleaned up.

Last edited:
These are a bit old, and I forgot the one of my pantry open, but you get the idea. We have a new fridge and a new dishwasher since this picture was taken. Fridge is white, dishwasher too.

img_1076862_0_bedd1823e38f1c83cdebdb1a7c348ac0.jpg

img_1076862_1_4e413a3f8e384ee51bbae8b08e13a60a.jpg

img_1076862_2_17d344d7cc5b81d3c0715afd5ce0de3e.jpg

I'm in an apartment, no space. My kitchen, you have to leave to change your mind. I do a lot of prep on a tv tray in front of the TV!

...Nice kitchen Andy......I'll post a pick of mine when it's cleaned up.

Kayelle, I took these pictures in 2008 when the reno was completed. Otherwise, my kitchen wouldn't be clean enough to post any pictures either.

I too have a townhouse with a very small kitchen. It is very closed in. When we were buying this place we fell in love with everything about it except the kitchen, I was sure that I would hate it. Well guess what, I ended up loving a small kitchen, I have adapted it to work quite well.

We replaced the stove and fridge, I also installed an over the range microwave, they had the original almond colored appliances and they had seen better days. The microwave was a great choice in a small kitchen! I would like to replace the cabinet doors and drawer fronts. The cabinets are nice plain solid oak boxes so they are sturdy. I want new counter tops as well. Those will come in time. I am standing in one doorway and there is another to the right, making it feel not so claustrophobic.
SG1L3579.JPG

I have always wanted an equipment pantry, I hate having to search cabinets for pots and pans. There was a coat closet directly across from the kitchen, I added wire shelving and some cube shelving. On the left, you can't see it, but there are more shallow shelves for canned goods, pasta, rice and such. I used wire between two of the shelves to hold up the baking pans, they just slide right in.
SG1L3568.JPG

This is my little baking corner. When standing here, there is a smaller pantry with all of my baking supplies right behind me.
SG1L0138.JPG

Here is the smaller pantry, one built with the house. I use it for baking supplies, snacks and cereal. I like to keep small things corralled so I don't have to go digging for them. I got some nice containers with snap in reusable labels (just erase the pencil) to keep cornmeal, brown sugar, cocoa, powdered sugar and such. Keeps them neat and I can write the brand name and expiration date on them.
SG1L0130.JPG

Well, that's my little kitchen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom