Stone Mortar and pestle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman

Senior Cook
I have one of those granite, stone mortar and pestles... how do you clean it? I can't stick it in the dishwasher can I?

If I can pull a cast iron pot from a 350 oven and set it on my granite counter without damage, the 140 degree DW won't hurt the stone either. Now if it is one of those white composite marble things, I don't know. I would also avoid the lava types that you find in the pacific areas, I would worry about their porosity retaining the soap.

I'd say just wiping it out with a damp paper towel would do the trick - or simply rinsing under running water. I don't think I've ever used soap on mine unless there was just a little left on the sponge already.

I don't have this gadget, but since it handles all aromatic stuff, I'd he hesitant to clean is with any kind of soap as it may happen on the dishwasher.
Instead, I'd clean it as kitchenelf recommended or use a mild neutral abrasive like baking soda to rub off the residue.

I don't have this gadget, but since it handles all aromatic stuff, I'd he hesitant to clean is with any kind of soap as it may happen on the dishwasher.
Instead, I'd clean it as kitchenelf recommended or use a mild neutral abrasive like baking soda to rub off the residue.

Oh, that reminds me - I clean my stone pieces with cornstarch if they are still greasy after washing (with water only). Good idea on the baking soda!

I have a mortar and pestle which I purchased at an oriental food market which appears to be made ouf of some stone other than granite. I follow the practice of my Cambodian cooking partner, and clean with water only and a stainless steel pad. I have never detected any cross flavors. I always clean anything porous, such as cutting boards or the Mortar and Pestle immediately after using. I would not use soap or put it in the dishwasher as I do not like the taste of soap in my food. For the same reason, I do not use soap on any cutting board.

I think the biggest thing is to find one where the inside surface of the bowl has some gripping power. The one I got is marble maybe and the inside is smooth which does not lend itself to holding the spices/food in place so that you can crush or mash it. Look for one with a slightly rough texture on the inside.

In my opinion, stay away from the marble or small ones. I purchased mine from a Cambodian food store, and it is made of a rather soft stone with a rough exterior and a more finished interior. Oriental and spanish cultures use these, and the ones at either type of store would be made to use, not for decoration. Mine is about 8 inches in diameter on the outside, and I would not get a smaller one. As for cleaning, I just wipe it out with a wet paper towel. I don't use soap on anything porous. I have experienced no cross tastes. I grind fresh lime leaves and lemongrass and use oil or other liquids for some mixtures, and the paste does not seem to stick. Spices like cloves and cinnamon take on a whole new flavor when you grind your own, but it is a lot of work. Incidentally, oriental lime leaves and lemongrass grow well in pots, and are ornamental as well. Fresh ground they add a lot of flavor and aroma to oriental dishes. You don't really grind in an M & P, but pound.

I have an old brass one from Jordan or Guam, I forget which, handed down from my MIL.
Had been wanting a mortar & pestle, and had forgotten about
the brass one. Glad I remembered before I bought a stone one, LOL!

My main mortar is a ceramic unit made by Adolf Coors company. I got it when I was in collage as a Biology major in the early 70s. I still use it for most things. The pistol is wood handled w/ a ceramic bulb but the mortar [bowel] is just straight ceramic.

I do put it in the DW, I have for the years since 1973 when I bought it. Works fine.

As I said above, I wouldn't do this with the lava and thereby porous types.

edit: I can't spel

Last edited:
I have a Mason & Cash ceramic one. I use it regularly, and I hand wash it in ordinary dish detergent, as I do many of my favorite knives, pots and pans. I always have one side of the sink filled with hot soapy water when I'm cooking, and I just wash things up as I go. :angel: There are almost always times when I'm waiting for something to cook for 3 minutes or so before adding the next ingredients... perfect time to relieve some of the mess. Keeps down the clutter, and my wife appreciates it, as the one who doesn't cook gets to clean up. ;)

Rp cookin, my wife have a variation on that theme, who ever cooks, I clean up. And I have a variation on your dishwashing technique whenever she puts something down, especially if she is cooking for guest, and don't clearly know that it is going tbe used again, it goes in the dishwasher. When the dishwasher gets full it runs. So in the course of cooking for a dinner party the dishwasher may run 2-3 loads of dishes while we are cooking. We have enough utensils and pans and pyrex, so on so forth to be able to do that.

I own only a wooden one - just wipe it out after use - never used a ceramic or gravel one...does anyone know the advantages of wood vs. ceramic or gravel-maybe I need a different kind...

I have a stainless steel one, bought on a whine awhile back because I had always used a stone mortar/pestle in the past. I actually like it and it cleans up nicely.

I own only a wooden one - just wipe it out after use - never used a ceramic or gravel one...does anyone know the advantages of wood vs. ceramic or gravel-maybe I need a different kind...

Wood is porous, so it might retain flavors from one use to the next more than stone. And it's granite, not gravel ;)

I agree, wood might be too porous (and soft) to make a good M & P. I don't actually grind in my mortar, but pound. I had never heard of a wood M & P, but ran into one on a website a few days ago, made in italy of olive wood. I remember the Coors ceramic ones in chemistry class. They would not absorb anything, I believe stone will. Most of the mortar and pestle sets used in those cultures who use them daily use stone for one reason or another. They do a good job and are not very expensive.

Actually the granite dust will mix with the food and give it a distinct flavor, its claimed to be good for you as well.

Back
Top Bottom