Test Kitchen lemon/lime squeezer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tlbrooks

Assistant Cook
I recentally watched an episode of American test kitchen where they rated various lemon/lime squeezers. They had one particular favorite and I can't find any info on that show. Not sure if was an older rerun or what? Not really interested in paying to join their website. I already contribute annually to PBS, kinda bugs me that I would have to pay twice!?:( Does anyone have any knowledge which squeezer they recommended?

I checked Cooks Illustrated, they often share reviews with ATK and Cooks Country. In the Inexpensive Juicers category, they chose the Black & Decker CitrusMate Plus as the best electric, and Amco Houseworks as the best manual.

I recentally watched an episode of American test kitchen where they rated various lemon/lime squeezers. They had one particular favorite and I can't find any info on that show. Not sure if was an older rerun or what? Not really interested in paying to join their website. I already contribute annually to PBS, kinda bugs me that I would have to pay twice!?:( Does anyone have any knowledge which squeezer they recommended?

It would help if you would please tell us what it looked like, and why you'd like to have it?

ThanksJamesS, it was the Amco model. I looked a picture of it on Bed, Bath & Beyonds website and that's the one. Thanks for your help.

I own that one tlbrooks, and it is great. I bought it at BB&B too. Do not be fooled into thinking you need one for limes as well. The limes work perfectly in the lemon squeezer.

Are they really any better than just squeezing the daylights out of the fruit?

Worlds better James. With one quick and easy squeeze I get every last drop out of even the most stubborn lemon or lime. The juice comes pouring out and the seeds stay put.

As expensive as lemons and limes have been lately, it may be time to invest in one then...and BBnB is shooting out those 20% off coupons again.

Plus I have arthritis in my hands which keeps me from squeezing anymore than just a few. If I need to do several, a squeezer will be beneficial.
Thanks for the heads up on BB&B coupons, in todays economy every little bit helps.

Before you buy try using a fork it helps get the juice out.
kadesma

The other trick I have used is to use a pair of tongs. Put the lemon half in between the tongs up where you would usually hold them, then grab the bottom of the tongs and squeeze.

And roll the lemon or lime on the bench for a few seconds before using the squeezer.

I've got a really useful one with several 'caps' for use with anything from a lime to a grapefruit. I think I bought it at Woolies on a throw out table. (In Oz)

I have one of the squeezers but usually use the reamer instead. I get a good bit of juice with that.

The enameled ones will peel. Ours eventually did. We replaced it with a heavy-duty plastic one and love it. No peeling, and it was inexpensive. If you want to spend more bucks, go with metal.

I picked one up at BB&B for 12 bucks and immediately put it to use making shrimp ceviche. Worked great and the shrimp was excellent too!

Back
Top Bottom