The Durability of Scissors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nanako

Assistant Cook
I eat lots of meat, and i store most of it in the freezer.
My cooking therefore generally involves lots of cutting up meat into small manageable chunks, often for curries and stir fries.

I used to do that with a knife, it was painful and time consuming and generally annoying. Then a couple of years ago, i magically remembered that scissors exist

Scissors changed everything, my meat cutting is now waaaay faster, and they can easily cut meat that's fully defrosted, or part frozen. So i've been using scissors a lot.

And i've used a lot of scissors! It seems like every couple of weeks i have to go out and buy new ones, because the ones i was using have stopped cutting things properly along most of their length, only the section closest to the handles still severs anything. This is getting annoying.

I got a knife sharpener in hopes of being able to repair them, but that was a miserable failure. It might even have made things worse.

At the moment i'm looking at a particular pair of long scissors that are now worthless, and trying to figure out why they won't cut. I seem to have detected the issue; The blades are bowed out slightly
The screw holding them together is still tight, and they sit flush together around it. And also at the tip. But about the middle of the blades, there's a slight gap between the two of them. About a millimetre, but it's definitely visible from the right angle. The metal is actually bent outwards.
I suspect this is the main thing that keeps breaking them.

Now what can i do about it?
Is there any reasonable way to repair this sort of damage?
Does the fact that it's even happening just mean that my scissors are cheap junk? And if so, can anyone recommend something that will last?

Whatever the answer, i'm sick of constantly buying new ones, i need a better option. Advice please x

Your problem suggests scissors are not the right tool for the job. Properly sharpened knives will get the job done with much less effort and more quickly than scissors.

Mine are Henckels, which are expensive, but so worth it. They stay sharp and I have used them now for over 4 years without having to get them sharpened. So you pay more upfront, however, you get longer wear out of them. I agree, using scissors to cut meat is far easier on the hands. I have excellent knives, also by Henckel, but with arthritis, the scissors help me a lot.

Last edited:
Mine are Henckels, which are expensive, but so worth it. They stay sharp and I have used them now for over 4 years without having to get them sharpened. So you pay more upfront, however, you get longer wear out of them. I agree, using scissors to cut meat is far easier on the hands. I have excellent knives, also by Henckel, but with arthritis, the scissors help me a lot.

I have nothing to add except I endorse Henckel as well and use them constantly. Mine are 23 years old.

Your problem suggests scissors are not the right tool for the job. Properly sharpened knives will get the job done with much less effort and more quickly than scissors.

I have to disagree
Cutting raw chicken breast with a knife just does not work. You get most of the way through and its always left hanging on by strings and sinews. Or it moves and wiggles around under the knife

Scissors can cut it properly because they don't just cut through, they keep going afterwards, so any sinews are severed no matter how thin and tough

And the blades attacking the meat from both sides holds it in place while it's cutting it, preventing it from slipping out

Partially freezing chicken or meat firms it up enough to cut it easily with a sharp knife. I do use kitchen shears to cut the backbone out of a whole chicken, but otherwise, knives work great for me.

I have to disagree
Cutting raw chicken breast with a knife just does not work. You get most of the way through and its always left hanging on by strings and sinews. Or it moves and wiggles around under the knife

Scissors can cut it properly because they don't just cut through, they keep going afterwards, so any sinews are severed no matter how thin and tough

And the blades attacking the meat from both sides holds it in place while it's cutting it, preventing it from slipping out

I also disagree with you.
There is no way a pair of scissor can do the job a good sharp knife can do.
Can you slice roast beef with scissors?
Can you cut up a 2-3 inch sirloin steak into chunks for a kabob?
Can you cut through tendon when cutting up a whole chicken?
Can you cut up anything thats thick?

Scissors do have their place in the kitchen. But cutting up meat or anything for that matter is not what they are designed for.
Save scissors for cutting perfect circles of parchment when making a layer cake.
Your statement regarding having to replace the scissors often, is a fine example you are using scissors for the wrong reasons.
Get a good knife, keep it sharp and see scissors are not the answer.
A sharp knife supersedes scissors in the kitchen each and every time.

When I cut up a chicken, I cut off the limbs with a knife. If I want boneless breast, that's done with a knife. Otherwise, once the limbs are off, the rest gets done with kitchen shears. I also sometimes cut bacon with shears.

re: Henckel, can you guys be more specific?

a search is turning up a lot of things like this
shopping

What even is that? How is that supposed to fit a human hand. It looks like a device designed for the sole purpose of causing RSI

The scissors i use all look like this
Zwilling-J.A.-Henckels-Superfection-Classic-Scissors-Tailors-Shears-41900-261-0.jpg

A thumb on one side, multiple fingers on the other. The way a hand generally holds things.

are these not even scissors?

I have to disagree

You clearly have never used a sharp knife. I cut meats of all kinds, including thawed chicken breast, and the only time I use shears is to cut out the backbone when spatchcocking or boning a whole chicken. A properly sharpened knife is much easier to use than scissors, and a good knife, properly cared for will last a lifetime.

re: Henckel, can you guys be more specific?

a search is turning up a lot of things like this
shopping

What even is that? How is that supposed to fit a human hand. It looks like a device designed for the sole purpose of causing RSI

The scissors i use all look like this
Zwilling-J.A.-Henckels-Superfection-Classic-Scissors-Tailors-Shears-41900-261-0.jpg

A thumb on one side, multiple fingers on the other. The way a hand generally holds things.

are these not even scissors?

You are using sewing or all purpose shears. Kitchen shears are designed for kitchen work. they are built more robustly for cutting through chicken joints and that sort of thing.

Last edited:
I only use shears to cut the backs out of whole chickens/game hens for spatchcocking or cutting the underside of lobster tails to remove the meat and retain the shell for stuffing. For everything else, I use a knife.

Because of my arthritis, I use the scissors to cut chicken and cube beef. Cooked meat, I only use the best knives. A sharp knife is the best tool in the kitchen IMO.

I have to disagree

Then your knife is not sharp. A truly sharp knife will glide through chicken meat cleanly and with no effort.

Scissors, other than poultry shears, are generally of soft material, and will not hold an edge. Resulting in a quickly dulled edge.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom