Thermometers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
I'm wanting to buy a good thermometer but don't want to spend a fortune. I've been purchasing throughout the years 2 different kinds. The glass long tube that is pointed at the tip of one end ....this is the one I use for candy and such. And for meats its been the kind that is like a large ice pick at one end and has a flat disc covered in glass at the other. They both run around $5.00 to 8.00 if memory serves me right.

Anyway, I've noticed the kinds the cooks on foodnetwork use and they seem a lot more durable. What kind do you use and why do you like it? What kind have you used in the past you don't care for and why.

I would look for an instant read thermometer for meats. They can be purchased for a lot or a little but even the cheaper ones work pretty well. If you make a lot of candy you may want to get a different one from what you have, but I have always had good results just using that variety.
Look on Amazon for a variety of choices and prices.

There are different styles that they use on the Food Network. One type is a probe thermometer. That is the kind I use. It has a probe which you stick into the food. That is attached to a readout by a long thin wire. The probe stays in the food the whole time it is cooking. Here is an example of one. These are really handy as you can set a target temp and the unit will beep when you hit that temp. I love mine and use it often. They run about $30 or so.

Another type I often see on the Food network is a much more expensive kind. It is a particular thermometer called a Thermapen. These are very fast and accurate, but much more expensive, around $90 or so.

The candy thermometer you described is perfect for candy and deep frying. The other thermometer you described is good as well. both of those are very inexpensive, but do what they need to do.

I used to get so frustrated with those instant read thermometers you were talking about Sizzlin. They worked the first couple of times then didn't. Ruined a fair shair of meals because of it. I now use a Polder (like GB linked you to) but only the upgraded version with the remote. I wish I got the one GB showed you as I am not a fan of the remote because I have had problems with it indicating the true temperature of the meat and just last night the remote did not show the temperature at all. It is only six months old and they only carry a 90-day warranty. Save the extra money and get the one in the link. I am asking Santa to bring me the thermapen for Christmas for things that are hard to probe, steaks, chops and such. Good luck with your search!

GB said:
There are different styles that they use on the Food Network. One type is a probe thermometer. That is the kind I use. It has a probe which you stick into the food. That is attached to a readout by a long thin wire. The probe stays in the food the whole time it is cooking. Here is an example of one. These are really handy as you can set a target temp and the unit will beep when you hit that temp. I love mine and use it often. They run about $30 or so.

I really like that one GB.....thanks Michelle for also recommending it. This is one definetely on my list.

Like you Michelle I'm tierd of the ones I use and having to replace them over and over because they don't want to work anymore.

Thanks again!!

Just FYI Sizz, I did not read the specs on that particular model I linked. I was just using it as a visual aide. Polder is a well known and respected brand though, but make sure to shop around and find one that has the features you would want.

Thanks GB! I'll def. look at the others available but this one looks like it has everything I'm wanting but I'll see if others compare or maybe offer something else I wasn't thinking of.

I just didn't want you to buy it based on my advice if it was not what you were looking for :). If it has what you are looking for then I bet you would be very happy with it though. Good luck!

Thanks GB's! My wish list is really growing........DH is going to have a lot to choose from. Hopefully Santa will treat me to some All Clad LTD pieces I have on my list. However, as for the thermometer I'm going to treat myself to that before Thanksgiving.

Back
Top Bottom