Thermometers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NAchef

Sous Chef
Well, I got a small bonus this year and decided to blow it all on a thermometer. I wanted a more expensive model but this will be more than enough for now!

I ordered the Thermoworks MTC ThermoWorks – MTC Mini Handheld Thermocouple with the small 113-151 probe. I would like a couple more probes after time and it is something can build on.

Does anyone else have one of these? And if so how do you like it?

Looks like they have a new Thermapen with a Ktype connector also!

Those K-type probes would be neat. I actually have a thermocouple I use with my defunct kiln. Might be cool to re-task it.

I have the same one as GB. Definitely the best I've used, and I use it nearly every day.

I have one of these and I love it. Best thermometer I have ever used.

Boy do I agree!! A couple of years ago or so I ask Santa for one of these...
On Christmas Morning Santa left Two of them under the tree...Seems he couldn't remember if I said brown or black. The idea was to take back the color I didn't want....I said no way Jose...I kept them both..:LOL: Best thermometer I've had in my hands! Very fast and accurate!

I just noticed their wharehouse is 30 min. from me!! I should have just drove down and got it last week.

Oh well, guess I will just wait tell tomorrow. Woot for 1 day shipping. haha

I also have the original Thermapen by Thermoworks. It's hands-down the best thermometer I've ever used. Love it!

I fell in love with there smokehouse thermocouple. I have had a hundred -I don't think I am exaggerating- of those cheap Polder types fail. The wire in the probes melts around 300°F My oven is usually higher, my gas grill is almost always higher. The Smokehouse has 1000° wire. Most self cleaner oven only go to 8 or 900.

I also have one of the pens GB and Uncle Bob have. Mines is red. Great tools.

those cheap Polder types fail. The wire in the probes melts around 300°F
i have had Polders that fail too. I do not see them as a tool that lasts forever. I have never had the wires melt though. I find it hard to believe that an over thermometer would have wires that fail at 300 degrees when very little is made in an over at below that temp.

I bought my setup from Cole Parmer. The meter came with a probe, but I also bought a hypodermic style probe. You can't even tell where it was inserted into the meat. The meter was something like $30 and the hypodermic type-k immersion probe was something like $65-70. You can use any type K thermocouple with it. It also reads instantly.

img_764195_0_be2541b6fe9778e57a7d5211cdb57e1c.jpg

Hi All,

Total argeement about the Polder type probes. Every Thanksgiving I used to buy two new ones (I do two turkeys at Thanksgiving), hoping for a better performance, but I was always dissapointed. Last year, I bought two of Thermowork's smokehouse thermocouples like Robt mentioned above and they are MUCH better.

Ordered late Sat. and just got it in on UPS now. I will have to take some pics tonight and post them up.

I am SO excited. hahaha

Just thought I would add a few pics and first thoughts.

Item = Thermoworks MTC Mini Handheld with the probe #113-151

I bought this over the Thermapen because I can add other probes later to this unit and it is cheaper. $43 for the MTC and $30 for the needle probe. This unit also has a magnetic back so can be attached to fridge, stove, etc..

This look like a pretty good unit overall. Small and should work for what I need now. Looking to get a probe later that can go in the BBQ and stay in the meat. Maybe this summer.

Here is what all came in the box minus a small brochure.
3175301605_3b5b78f1ce.jpg

Here it is all set up and ready to test.
3175301941_98a9c55f77.jpg

And here is the tip. This tip is smaller than the Thermapen and a tiny bit quicker.
3175302277_f67f57d81c.jpg

Those K-type probes would be neat. I actually have a thermocouple I use with my defunct kiln. Might be cool to re-task it.

I have a Fluke K Thermocouple I plug into a DMM, I multi task it between the kitchen, grill and garage.

This Thermoworks looks real appealing. Something to look into. I suppose Wife would like it if I used a thermometer I didn't need to wash the anti-freeze off of before use.:rolleyes:

Very nice! I own FOUR Taylor probe types from target...Works for me...

Do all four read the same temperature?

I have given up on thermometers for accuracy. They are a guide and reference only.
I check them out with boiling water.

Four thermometers -- four different readings in the boiling water.

How do you know if a thermometer is accurate?
What do you use for a base line?

Charlie

Back
Top Bottom