ThermoWorks other thermometers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I finally decided to get a ThermaPen. I Googled and it turns out that the prices at ThermoWorks are better than locally available ThermaPens and they have a super deal on shipping to Canada.

But, I'm so confused. :turned:

They have all kinds of thermometers listed on their featured products page and some of them are a lot cheaper than a ThermaPen. It's the same company. Are those other thermometers as good? What are the advantages of the ThermaPen? If I get one of the cheaper ones, I could get one with an alarm too and it would cost less than just the ThermaPen.

They are having a 15% until 31 August, so I'm kinda in a hurry to decide.

the Thermopen is the flagship product. it's "the fastest reading" on the market (so they say, it's probably true)

the other "just thermometers" are slower reading; the other others have alarms.

I have come to appreciate the Thermopen for the tiny little point and fast reading for 'specialty' situations. like fish or steaks or chops or pounded chicken breast- it's "thin" - it's tricky to hold the point in the same spot, so getting a read fast is likely to be more accurate of the temp where the point is.

for a 10 lb roast, makes nadda difference.

I have the original (pre splash proof) Thermapen, and I love it. It's never failed me. I also have the Chef Alarm probe thermometer from Thermaworks and I use it often. I never have over or under cooked roasts or poultry any more. :chef:

Hey, when we get to a certain age, we've earned the right to spend our money on whatever we want! I have a purple Thermapen, very accurate. And, I might add, horrifically expensive.

Enjoy your new toys, Taxy!

Last edited:
I looked at the DOT oven alarm thermometer, but I really, really like the low alarm on the ChefAlarm oven thermometer. It will eliminate the annoyance of the milk getting too cool after scalding when I make yogourt. Actually, that annoyance is why I seldom make yogourt. I realized that if I got the DOT, I would be cursing later that I hadn't spent the extra $20.

I looked at the DOT oven alarm thermometer, but I really, really like the low alarm on the ChefAlarm oven thermometer. It will eliminate the annoyance of the milk getting too cool after scalding when I make yogourt. Actually, that annoyance is why I seldom make yogourt. I realized that if I got the DOT, I would be cursing later that I hadn't spent the extra $20.

Your need are different form mine so the Chef Alarm is a better choice for you. I'm sure you'll love it.

Yup and I bet you'll love yours too. If you don't have a use for the low alarm, the extra $$ is a waste of money.

I had to buy a more complex thermometer last time. I don't use it often so I didn't learn all the button sequences. Settings for beef pork and chicken, etc. Different alarm modes and time zones(!). All I care about is 'what's the temperature'.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom