Thick potholders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
I'm from the old school and my favorite potholders are extra-thick terrycloth ones. I've tried the Teflon-lined ones and the silicone ones. Sorry. They just don't do it for me.

Does anyone have a source for potholders that are made of extra-heavy, sometimes double-thick terrycloth? Mine are almost 30-years-old and more like rags than potholders.

Really, because I'm a potholder person and I prefer to use my towels in other ways. Plus, I'd rather not have a "tail" of a towel in my way. I suppose at the rate things are going, I'll have to make my own potholders.

I too have been looking for new potholders. The ones that I have been seeing in the stores around here are way too big. I don't like the Teflon ones either. I guess I will have to wait until our Farmers Market opens this spring and I can buy some homemade ones from our city crafters.

You sound like me....and I have to have potholders at work, too! So many cooks simply use towels. Since it's my kitchen, I order what I want. Funny, they all seem happy to use the potholders when they're available:ermm:...

I'd be happy to get you a pair of purely functional and quite ugly terry cloth potholders and mail them to you....PM if you'd like.

Real Cooks use bare Hands and a smile:ROFLMAO:

I`m a tea towel user also, just make sure their Dry, steam burns are somewhat worse than a dry burn IMO.

Lands' End used to sell really nice, thick terry pot holders. I bought some years ago and they will out live me.

I also make my own. I came into a bolt of a fibrous white compound that was supposed to be for replacement furnace filters. I double this material and use that for the stuffing for pot holders.

When I purchased my KitchenAid stand mixer they sent me an offer to purchase their pot holder and spatula and other stuff for a small additional cost. The potholders they sent are one of the best I have found. They are not gloves but are squares but they are super large and super thick. They have a spot to slid your hands so you would never inadvertently burn yourself.

Go to their website and lookup under kitchen textiles you can see them. Again they are not cheap but they are virtually indestructable. I have used them and washed them many many times and they look just like new after so many years.

I'm also a "potholder person." So was my mom, guess I come by it "genetically!" :LOL:

My grandmother used to crochet beautiful ones out of very thick yarn. These would last for years. However, she's been gone since 1968, so all of mine had worn out. When I cleaned out my folks' house 5 years ago, I found a whole stash that Mom had squirreled away and forgotten about, so now I have Grandma's pot holders again! :D

Back
Top Bottom