Tool to slice meat ends?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
It's been cheaper to buy meat ends at the store. I usually buy ham or turkey. However, very hard to slice fairly think with a knife. What kind of tools are there to slice these meat ends. Sometimes or most of the time - they are very small ends. I do usually cut them into cubes and feed my 1.5 year old and I do other things with it. I heard some of the meat slicers out there would be too big for the small meat ends.

I'm referring to meat ends they sell at the deli section.

The obvious answer is a meat slicer --- I'm guessing you don't have one --- Commercial slicers, probably Hobart's, should have no problem slicing meats down to the nub. Are you buying the "ends" at a discount??? Have you ask them to slice them down for you?? Other than that... your best and safest recourse is to do what you are doing...Cube/dice it up.

What I do with inexpensive roasts for stock or stews or for the dog, is partially freeze the meat (place in freezer for an hour or so, then turn until meat is stiffish.) The meat slices evenly and is alot easier to work with.

How small? I have an old Rival slicer that will handle small as well as large. Small? Mandolin. Smaller? Food processor.

If I didn't have a meat slicer or an electric knife I would probably take the ends and cut them up into cubes and use them for soups and other recipes for such. I would freeze in FoodSaver bags in 1-2 lb portions for easy use.

What's a meat end?

A meat end is what's left, in a deli, from slicing cold cuts. The ends of a salami or a ham or a roast beef, etc.

How small? I have an old Rival slicer that will handle small as well as large. Small? Mandolin. Smaller? Food processor.

I don't think a mandolin would work. Too much resistance to easily push a piece of meat through.

I worked in a grocery store in high school that had the deli and meat department combined. They would shut the meat department down at 5:00 so sometimes we were called upon to slice deli meat for the customers. We would slice those things down to the bitter end, repackage it, and give it to the customer. I'm not familiar with this concept of selling meat ends...

A customer will go to the supermarket deli and ask for some sliced ham. The customer sees that there is hardly any ham left on the current piece so asks for a new ham to be opened and sliced for her so it will be fresher. That first piece becomes an 'end'.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom