Tortilla press

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DampCharcoal

Executive Chef
Does anyone have one or has ever used one? I use tortillas quite a bit but don't really want to invest in something too expensive. I trust advice and opinions from you people over anything I would get on any other website! :D

Yes I have one. It cost about $10. I used it once and couldn't even tell you where it is anymore. It worked very well, but for all the effort, I found it easier and almost as good to just buy store bought tortillas.

Oops! I guess I meant tortilla "steamer." I probably wouldn't have the patience to make tortillas from scratch! Whenever I try to heat tortillas so they don't crack when rolling, they dry out so fast they crumble anyway, even when I "steam" them in a microwave between wet paper towels. :?

you are heating them for too long, charc. I throw the flour kind in a dry non-stick pan until a couple of little bubbles appear, then flip them over, using my hand, for just a few seconds.

I have a tortilla press and I like it.

They are very cheap.

Homemade tortillas are incredibly easy to make, if you can't find good ones at your market.

Never heard of a steamer .... and wonder why you would steam tortillas anyway :?:

dampc, i have seen those thick plastic tortilla containers that restaurants use to serve tortillas with fajitas (i hope you know the ones i am talking about) for sale in kitchen supply shops. they are supposed to be good for nuking tortillas, without drying them out. i would put a damp paper towel on top to add some steam, and only nuke it for a minute or so.

Microwaves are just not that great with bread. If you nuke the tortilla a little too long, it gets tough/inflexible.

I have found that spraying each tortilla with a little water, wrapping the stack in foil, and then baking it at 225 for about 400 minutes (top oven shelf) gives me a nice soft tortilla.

I know what buckytom is talking about - look here: http://www.bigtray.com/productlist.asp?catid=23920&tr=pi

Since they are microwaveable - I don't see why they wouldn't work just as good as the ceramic tortilla steamer - look here: http://wielandware.com/hottortilla.htm

But, since it (the plastic one) has a tight fitting lid you might want to leave the lid off, or askew, while nuking ... unless you like things that go *bang* while you're cooking. Either one of these should steam and keep your tortillas hot.

If you have an Asian bamboo steamer basket, or a steamer insert for a pot that has a flat bottom - that should work for steaming a stack, too.

When I lived in Colorado a few years ago I used to make big batches of fajitas and burritos and freeze them to take to work for lunch. I used the same technique I do for softening up the tortillas when making enchiladas. I use a 10"-12" deep saute pan (chicken fryer) wite 1-2 inches of rapidly simmering water - and put a spatter shield (round metal frame with a handle and a wire mesh insert that you use to keep grease from splattering all over the stovetop - looks like a window screen for a porthole) - steam one while you fill and wrap another ... assembly line style.

mudbug said:
you are heating them for too long, charc. I throw the flour kind in a dry non-stick pan until a couple of little bubbles appear, then flip them over, using my hand, for just a few seconds.

When I worked at a Mexican restaurant, that is how we did it.

Back
Top Bottom