Towels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am torn between thowing away and washing. True it is wasteful to use something and throw it away, but it also uses water to wash things and we do not have an endless supply of water.

GB said:
I am torn between thowing away and washing. True it is wasteful to use something and throw it away, but it also uses water to wash things and we do not have an endless supply of water.

Me too. I'm also hesitant to use towels a lot, since you don't know if it's a kitchen hand towel, a dish drying towel or what it's been used for. I'd know if it were only me in the kitchen, but it's not only me. For sanitary reasons, I lean toward paper towels, but I do have kitchen towels too.

BC

I'm with you Bluecat. Plus, germs thrive on towels. I am paper towel all the way. However, after dinner I do crack out a fresh towel to dry my pots and pans and anything else that is wet (usually top of counter, etc). That towel then goes to a special "bag" in the laundry room that contains only kitchen fabric items - napkins, oven pads, towels. I know, I'm anal.

we use both, but we recently purchased these new 'vintage' look towels from target...I am telling you that they don't soak up water for c#$%. I absolutely love them, though, and keep using them even though you can't dry a spoon with 'em! Stupid, eh? They are cream w/vintage red and perfect for my kitchen (except they nonabsorbency bit!!!)

Michelemarie said:
I'm with you Bluecat. Plus, germs thrive on towels. I am paper towel all the way. However, after dinner I do crack out a fresh towel to dry my pots and pans and anything else that is wet (usually top of counter, etc). That towel then goes to a special "bag" in the laundry room that contains only kitchen fabric items - napkins, oven pads, towels. I know, I'm anal.

No, not anal MM, just cautious. I'm also very cautious. I had a life threatening case of double pneumonia and influenza last year - spent several weeks in the hospital and had some heart damage as a result and I have been very careful since. I try not to be loony about it, but I don't ever want to go through anything like that again.

BC

I refuse to use paper towels myself, it's both wasteful and costly.

Instead I buy two types of towels in bulk (24-36 at a time), bar mop for wiping, cleaning, drying hands & general kitchen utility, and flour sack for drying cookware, dishes, glasses and polishing stemware.

Once soiled, they go in a polyester mesh laundry bag away from other laundry, the mesh bag allows damp towels to dry. When there are fewer then 4 or 5 clean towels the soiled towels make a full load, which is then laundred (sp?) in hot water and bleach.

Stained B.M. towels get the dirty jobs. Cleaning the range top & hood, bbq grill and mopping up spills like red wine, tomatoe sauce and anything else which is going to stain. When they get ugly they find their way to the garage and garden, then the trash.

Most F.S. towels wear out before getting ugly. Those which do get stained become dust and shoe shine rags, before being discarded.

Speaking of kitchen towels, I'm down to a half dozen of each.

As much as I hate going ; )... looks like a good day for a trip to the resturant supply.

For those whom would rather shop from home, http://search.ebay.com/bar-mop-towels.

Anthony

For me, the laundry is too far away and I can't stand the sight of a dirty towel (OCD much?). I shoot through paper towels, though. A mess is always easier to clean up the minute it happens--and if you agree, please tell my kids.

I was just going to post that same sentiment - I can't stand to see a soiled towel hanging in the kitchen. Even if it's clean, it looks filthy. And you can't hide them in a cabinet or anything because they're usually damp and need to be hung to dry. I use a cloth towel sparingly and for the most part I use paper.

BC

Sad experience (years later--laughable) with kitchen towels: lived overseas and did not have access to a self-basting Butterball turkey---only a local scrawny chap. Followed a recipe in an old cookbook to cover turkey with kitchen towel saturated in olive oil and bake accordingly. The most juicy wonderful turkey was cooked and much admired by one and all. The following year, I was again assigned the turkey task and lo and behold when I checked on Tom an hour later he had turned bright green!!!!!! The first year I had used a white towel and the 2nd time around a green and white checked. I quickly replaced the towel with a white one and paper-toweled as much of the green dye out that I could---Tom was still a bit colorful but everyone was nice and said he tasted fine. GAhhh!

:) I use the Walmart bar towels I like them alot I also use paper but go thru at least 3-4 bar towels a day.Then I have some nice cloth towels if I have company I use those.

A towel is the most massively useful thing an interstelliar hitchhiker can have.
~ The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy

I prefer cloth towels. I have kitchen towels on the backs of the chairs at the kitchen table so if hands get greasy or sticky they can be wiped on the towels and when dirty I change and wash them. I also keep them on the refrigerator door, by sink, and where I eat.
My favorite one is a Beach Towel in my school/trail pack. The towel has a pocket in a corner you can stuff the towel into and use it as a pillow or using the straps on it carry it on your back. It has so many uses.
REMEMBER WHERE YOUR TOWEL IS

Hungry said:
Lots of informaton n Towels!
However, I never got an answer to my first post.

How so you make towels asorbent again?
Mine are water proof!

Charlie

You're not using fabric softener, are you? A good hot wash should help remove any "dressing" in the fabric.

patch said:
You're not using fabric softener, are you? A good hot wash should help remove any "dressing" in the fabric.

Thanks Pat,

I never used fabric sofener on any of my towels.
I have tried washing with different washer soaps. I even tried vinegar rinse. No Luck. They still jus smear the warer around.

Charlie

Try this "tip" that was forced on us while living in WWII reconverted army barracks that served as married student housing at Texas A&M back in the 70's--wash your deadbeat towels in bleach and hot water during a regular wash cycle---then AIR DRY-----don't use the dryer at all as there still may be residual fabric softener on the filter which is why they get clogged in the first place------ my poor college student towels sucked the moisture out of the air they were so dry!! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom