Unicorn Magnum Peppermill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I have recipes that require a measured amount in quantity I will use my coffee grinder. i will measure (aprox) the amount of peppercorns I will need and wizz then up in the grinder then measure more accurately once they are ground.

Some recipes at times, might call for cracked black peppercorns, and I wonder if my Magic Bullet will do that.

But one of my heavy cast iron skillets should do the trick if that doesn't.

~Corey123.

GB said:
When I have recipes that require a measured amount in quantity I will use my coffee grinder. i will measure (aprox) the amount of peppercorns I will need and wizz then up in the grinder then measure more accurately once they are ground.

I had a coffee grinder for spices and I can't find it! I feel like such an idiot, :chicken:as it coudn't have escaped from the kitchen.

So I use my mortar and pestle or the food processor.

I use my mortar and pestle if it is to be coarse. I love using that thing. I really feel like I am cooking anytime I use it, strange as that may sound.

Pepper Mills

jennyema said:
That's the "Ina Garten Pepper Mill," no?

I like the collection idea, since some recipes requires a lot of pepper in measured quantities.

Yes that is the kind that Ina uses. I truly love mine. I know, I know it costs a lot of money but what you get in return is a good investment.

Another cook on foodnetwork uses one of those but I can't remember who. Anyway, I love my pepper mill. After reading the post I will invest in a coffee grinder though for when I need a measured amount of pepper. I think that'll save on my pepper mill grinder mechanism when I have to grind, grind, grind.

Peugeot eh? I was going to ask about them. I think if I'm going to spend ~$40 on a mill I'll get a peugeot; I thought they looked nice and it seemed like they were a fairly reputable company.

I always wondered about mass quantities of pepper if I were using a grinder. I figured I would just grind onto a sheet of paper...which I probably still will do since I don't feel like investing in a coffee grinder too.

Since we're kind of on the topic of peppercorns, I thought of another question: Does using freshly ground pepper change when you should add it? I would assume it would weaken in flavor significantly if cooked for a long period of time.

Oh yeah and I was going to say; GB I'm sure I would feel the same way if I mortor and pestled anything. When you really get down to the roots of anything like that, it really takes on a new meaning.

brad

Last edited:
Another member on this site (I don't remember who, but it might have been Clair) told of a story about her Peugeot pepper mill. She had left it outside for the winter by mistake. When she found it the thing still worked perfectly. At least that is how I remember the story being told. I have never used one, but that is a great recommendation if i ever heard one.

Yes you are right, the flavor will weaken with time as it is cooking. the oil disipates over time. Having said that, fresh peppercorns are pretty strong so even though the flavor will drop a bit you don't have to be super concerned with it.

So here's the story...all I used to use was pre-ground pepper, then decided I would pick up one of those McCormick disposable pepper grinders at the supermarket and it changed my life. Actually the freshly ground pepper changed my life. I realized then and there that I needed to buy a peppermill.

I had the same experience a few years ago, sort of....

I got some peppercorns, wrapped them well in tin foil, took them outside and laid them down on my deck, then hit em with my sledgehammer a few times.
From that day forward I was a changed man.

gary b said:
I got some peppercorns, wrapped them well in tin foil, took them outside and laid them down on my deck, then hit em with my sledgehammer a few times.
From that day forward I was a changed man.

Lol sounds like a dawn of man type of thing.

Pepper mills

Hello everyone,

I found this thread about pepper mills interesting mainly due to the fact that I happen to make them. Before I started making them myself I was introduced to fresh ground pepper and loved it! I'm not an expert on peppercorns by no means and need to try out some I've heard so much about like Telecherry, Malabar etc but I've spent most all my time making mills, I really need to eat more.

Since I've been making my mills I have found the really good ones are an investment, not an impulse, and good grinding machanisms are critical if they are to perform correctly and last. I've had many folks ask about the mechanisms I use in my mills and I always tell them there is a big difference these days. Stainless steel mechanisms are all I use in mine. Some use carbon steel or even plastic and won't stay sharp holding their edge over time or worse just break.

I've gained a great deal of insight in the 2 years I have been creating my signature pepper mills and wanted to voice my thoughts on them a little here and introduce myself.

Thanks,
David

Love the Peugeot

My father and I went pepper mill shopping one day over at the local Sur La Table. We're very finnicky about our kitchen gear, so we went ahead and sampled about twenty different mills that were on a display, including a few that were in their boxes. I had seen the Magnum before in Alton's shows and books, so I tried it but was very dissapointed. While you do get a good grind volume per twist, and the carrying capacity is absolutely massive, I hate that the adjustor is on the bottom near the grinder itself. Also, the variability in grind size is comparably small.

The Peugot (about 6" tall, all clear) however, had an absolutely incredibly grinding range, to cater to anything from Steak Au Poivre to simply seasoning an omelette. It's also presentable for formal occasions on the table. Only drawback is that the volume is a bit too small for my tastes, but that's nothing I worry about. 20 seconds of refilling labor is worth the amazing fine to coarse range.

goodgiver said:
I have read all the replies on pepper grinders. No one mentioned the "Peppermate" by East Hampton Industries. I have had mine for over 5 years and have not had a problem with it and it still does a good job. You can adjust the grind on it and it also has a small collection bin on the bottom that can collect the ground pepper. Or you can grind the pepper and not use the small bin. I love this thing. It is dish washer safe. I went on Google and found a well of information on this product. As far as I am concerned it is a little pricy but well worth the initial investment. It sure does beat any other grinder I have tried, and believe me I think I have tried them all.
I'm shopping for one of these and find them in both the ceramic grinder and the steel type but can't find any info about which would be best except that the ceramic one would be better for grinding salt. Anybody know?

OK, the magnum plus is AWESOME-it almost puts out too much for use on the dining table. After fresh ground pepper "changed my life" the next epiphany came from fresh ground Nutmeg. OMGosh. I already used my first ounce and ordered a pound on line (was like $10 + $7 ship. vs 7 to 12 per oz in our grocery stores!) Can I get a "HOO HAW" for Fresh-ground Nutmeg... or perhaps a new recipee. I keep making 'maple and nutmeg custard and would like a fresh recipee

KThnks

lol, I was just looking for a new peppermill and low and behold, here's two threads on one of them I was looking at. I was a bit put off by the price of the Unicorn Magnum, so chose a bamboo one with matching saltbox (I use a small tupperware container for my salt now) and it was also rated well by its users. It's not ordered yet though. I may rethink this Unicorn mill.

It kinda makes you scratch your head.... the Unicorn mill is plastic outside. The other one I was looking at is bamboo and advertised as "eco-friendly" because of how fast bamboo grows and bamboo being a natural product.
No mention of Panda Bears..... :huh:

Back
Top Bottom