V-slicer help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
So, I bought myself a nice Borner V-slicer. We tried it out on cabbage - total fail. I seem to remember reading that people use these things for cole slaw. I want to make a batch of rødkål (Danish red cabbage) and it would be nice to use my new toy.

How does one get the holder to hold onto the cabbage? Do I leave the core attached to the chunks? Is there a specific shape that I should cut the chunks?

Taxi, I cut the cabbage in wedges leaving the core intact. Then I start slicing at the point away from the core, with the leaves at the bottom and the cut sides at the top. It's not necessary to use the holder until you could be in danger of getting too close to the blade. With the slight rotation of the wedge through the slicing, by the time you get close to the core, you can throw the core away.
I hope that helps but if I wasn't clear, hollar.

Last edited:
Taxi, I cut the cabbage in wedges leaving the core intact. Then I start slicing at the point away from the core, with the leaves at the bottom and the cut sides at the top. It's not necessary to use the holder until you could be in danger of getting too close to the blade. With the slight rotation of the wedge through the slicing, by the time you get close to the core, you can throw the core away.
I hope that helps but if I wasn't clear, hollar.
Okay, that makes sense, except please explain about the rotation of the wedge.

Stirling followed the instructions in the recipe that said not to use the core, so he cut it off. :wacko:

And, of course, you are right, I don't need the holder to start with. I can use my new, cut resistant glove. That thing is scary sharp.

What I mean by rotation is aim the wedge slices gradually so the core doesn't get sliced, then chuck the core. Happy slicing.
Oh, that makes sense. I think I did it sort of like that. I quit using the V-slicer after half the cabbage. It was going too slow and some of the slices were kinda big. I did switch to the julienne blade and not thin. That worked a bit better. I won't be using it for the cabbage for cole slaw or rødkål. I'm quicker with a chef's knife. It might be perfect for Stirling. I'm looking forward to trying it out on carrots, celery, cucumber, etc.

It's a shame you're giving up on it, I use mine for cole slaw all the time. Whenever I need shredded cabbage it's done, zip zip, and toss the core. I just use the thin slicer insert, I don't try to julienne it. Perhaps you just need some practice with it. I've found over time that what works best is to place my palm over the plunger and waft the blade back and forth, then it just sort of naturally pushes down as whatever is in the holder is sliced away. You have to be careful not to apply undue pressure - that will make stuff stick. In fact I had to work at first at consciously NOT applying any pressure. Now it's just sort of natural.

So, KB, you figure it's a question of practice? I started with the think slice insert, but was getting some pieces much bigger than I wanted. I was sorting them out for later finishing by hand.

I had already read not to use pressure, just slide it lightly and let the blades do the work. Maybe I will try it again, on a day I have lots of time.

I am now using my V-Slicer a lot. It works great for uniform slices of potato. I even got it down for the cabbage. I cut the cabbage in half and put on my cut resistant glove, and slice on the 2nd thickest setting of the slicer. I don't bother with the holder. I still get a few pieces that are too big, but not a big deal to trim them with a chef's knife.

I'm really glad I got it.

Yes, that is good news. Like most things I guess it required technique, especially since that plastic piece flexes with pressure.

I'm glad it's working for you now Taxi! I should get one of those gloves you have as that blade scares the bejebbers outa me even though I'm very careful to use the guard. Many years ago I sliced off the whole side of my pinkie finger along with half of the nail and it's not something one ever forgets.:ohmy::(

Back
Top Bottom