What do you use your mortar & pestle for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To grind garlic with salt, but mostly to grind vitamins to add to my doggies home made meals.

Many dried herbs / spices seem to store better whole or in larger pieces. However they seem to more effectively impart their flavor when finely ground or crushed just prior to use.

Last edited:
Mortar & pestle use

:chef: I only use mine to crush small amounts of dried spices, herbs, and seasonings. :chef:

I made one from marble , it weight about 20 lbs and holds a quart or so ,good for spices ,nuts,seeds ,dressings ,pesto. Processers can add a lot of air and for dressings and pesto there is something about the texture that,s just better. Let's remember the mortar and pestle has probably been around since before fire was domesticated Its ancestors were the first food processor along with cutting edges. Laugh if you want --Gage

I used to grind up tea in mine, but I use such a large quantity that I use the food processor now. I used the M&P the other day to grind up some dried rosemary for homemade herb breadcrumbs...

Grind up tea? Why would you want to do that?

LOL! I thought someone might question me on that! ;)

I quit drinking soda, so now I drink a lot of iced tea that I blend from orange pekoe, peppermint, and spearmint. I have an iced tea maker, and it works better when I chop the tea up a little. I don't take it down to powder, but I chop it to about the consistency of dried herbs.

Back
Top Bottom