What is the point of a garlic press?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boy, this forum is making my wish list for kitchen gadgets unreal lol. Too bad I don't have the money to blow right now :/

I feel the same way about garlic presses as many mentioned above! It is more work to clean and use than it would be to just mince the garlic by hand. I also feel that it loses some of its flavor by contact with the press! Not a tool I'd use in my kitchen lol.

I bought a garlic press when I first started cooking with fresh garlic and used it maybe twice. After that I decided it was easier to just mince it myself. I have no use for it. I did however discover by chance a marvelous mincing and peeling tool, snatched it up and loving it. I use this little baby almost every day. I posted about it on another thread yesterday:

One review of what looks exactly like this gadget (without the peeler) on Amazon said that she wished she had known that you have to use at least 5 or 6 cloves before purchasing it.

I chop by rocking my blade, if I want it finer I grate on my microplane (I have 1 large I mostly use for fresh grating romano & parmesan cheese, 1 fine for zesting, 1 medium for garlic and ginger and 1 tiny one for nutmeg), if I want a paste I mince than mash with the side of my knife and salt.

I got rid of mine... a long, long, long time ago..... I gave it to an enemy:ermm::LOL:

I think the only reason I haven't given away mine... to an enemy... is because my mother gave it to me. It's old and used to be hers.
Heeey... wait a minute.... :huh::LOL:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Thanks for the laughs!

I still have my garlic press, usedit once, never found anyone I disliked enough to give it to.

I like mine.

I am with you all on the fact that mine sat in the drawer for years.
I started using it and really do like it.I don't like how it mushes up the garlic, but I hate cutting garlic for some reason so it works fine for me.If you rinse it out rite after you use it and throw it in the dish washer, there is no problem.

We had one, but it broke the first time it was used. Now devices that are based on the same principle, i.e. potato ricer and citrus juicer, we use on a regular basis. The micro plane has replaced the press.

On another note, if you make dim sum dough, my wife came up with the great idea of using a tortilla press to flatten the dough instead of rolling it out. You have to use a top and bottom layer of wax or parchment paper so the dough doesn't stick to the press, but it works great.

Craig

Last edited:
One review of what looks exactly like this gadget (without the peeler) on Amazon said that she wished she had known that you have to use at least 5 or 6 cloves before purchasing it.
Well I wouldn't have that complaint because I'm always using at least 5-6 cloves. :LOL:

If I only had to chop up 1 or 2 it would honestly be easier to use a knife than to get this gadget out. But for the amount of garlic we use it's a real timesaver.

I can go both ways. I personally use a knife but when the kids are cooking I let them use the press. I am gradually teaching knife skills but kids attention spans are short and I work the knife in on other important tasks.

Well I wouldn't have that complaint because I'm always using at least 5-6 cloves. :LOL:

If I only had to chop up 1 or 2 it would honestly be easier to use a knife than to get this gadget out. But for the amount of garlic we use it's a real timesaver.

I understand because we love garlic too. But for many dishes, that would just be too much. So I can stick one clove of garlic in a press and be done with it -- no peeling and, more important, no chopping. For some reason, I detest chopping one or two cloves of garlic.

I bought one of these:

Amazon.com: Garlic Grater Set (garlic grater, silicone peeler, brush) - Ceramic, Green: Kitchen & Dining

...at the home and garden show last weekend. Haven't used it yet but am anxious to do so. The demonstrator sure made it look great!:rolleyes: It came with the brush and the silicone sleeve to peel it with.

I tried this tonight and it worked great! As with a grater, you REALLY have to be careful of scraping your fingers. Otherwise, I'm pleased.:chef:

I have the original zyliss garlic press. It works perfectly and is pretty easy to clean. I use it all of the time. I never need to peel the cloves of garlic. Just pop them in the press.

They have improved on the original.

Amazon.com: Zyliss 12040 Jumbo Garlic Press with Cleaner: Kitchen & Dining

I too hated and gave up on garlic presses until I tried this one.

No peeling, and it just works perfectly! I don't use the included cleaner tool, I just use my dish brush if there is something stuck in the holes.

I think the hate towards garlic presses comes from so many bad ones on the market. I don't know why this one works better than the rest but it just does. I can't peel and chop garlic faster than using this thing.

I am not big on unitaskers, but I use fresh garlic often, so I don't mind having a unitasker in this case.

i'll continue 2 use a knife! that is plenty effective- that's multi-tasking.

I love my garlic press and have two

Gosh you guys. I love my garlic press. It's heavy aluminum and I pop in a peeled clove of garlic, press it through and scrape it off with a knife, then use the point of a sharp knife to pull out what's left. I use it so much that I have two so there is always one clean. Maybe should get one in stainless steel just to be cleaner.

So all you who have heavy metal garlic presses, send them to me. I'll use them. Yes I often use a knife to slice or mash, but the garlic press is so easy.

I have a Zyliss aluminum press. Fast and effective. Don't peel the garlic. Press, slice off the extruded garlic, retract the handle, and the excess usually comes out in one piece. Try it!!!

My garlic press sits in the drawer. I use the flat of the Chef's Knife to crush the clove. Once you do that the skin peels right off and the clove is broken open. Then I just cut it in half or quarters and brown it or whatever. Garlic does not need to be grated into food.

My garlic press sits in the drawer. I use the flat of the Chef's Knife to crush the clove. Once you do that the skin peels right off and the clove is broken open. Then I just cut it in half or quarters and brown it or whatever. Garlic does not need to be grated into food.

I crush my garlic unpeeled too. One of the advantanges of crushing it with the chef's knife, instead of unpeeled with a garlic press is that you can see any brown or otherwise icky bits and cut them off before they go in the food. :ermm:

For vinaigrettes I squish, peel, (cut off any icky bits), chop, squish by pushing down while dragging the side of the knife across the garlic, and then mince. I like it to be a paste for vinaigrette. I seems to help the emulsion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom