What is this type of egg separator called?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbk12ul

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone, now that I can post links, I thought I'd give this one another try!

I'm looking to try and find out what type of egg separator this contraption is called. There is only 1 website featuring it that I could find on the whole internet (there has to be more!). I saw it on TV last night and it works AWESOMELY! I just can't find any other site but this ONE and its WAY to expensive for something that seems so simple and cheap to make.

I'm hoping someone on here knows what its called, and could tell me if there is another source for one that might be a bit more friendly on the wallet.

Here it is: EGG SEPARATOR PRO

Please give me any information you can about this cool looking and very efficient beast!

Thanks in advance!

Robert

Give me the two halves of the egg shell and I'll be fine. Unless you need to separate large quantities of eggs, I can't see the reason for this is the average kitchen. It seem to me that just the time to get it out from where it is stored, use it, and then wash it, dry it, and put it back, would take longer than separting the egg or two the "old-fashioned way"

But I did checked using Google and that was the only site that came back. It does look cool, but IMHO not $345 cool.

Wow! That brought a chuckle to me too. I looked at the link, the design of this "passive" machine, and figured I could make one for about ten bucks.

The price must be wrong. No one would beleive that such a device could cost that much. It's ludicrous. Simply ludicrous. And in my best maniacle voice... Ahhhahahahahahaha :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Seeeeeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I agreee with Goodweed and others. It's an unnecessary tool. And at that price, it's absurd. It's just a couple of pieces of SS.

Egg separating is so easily done with the shells or your fingers. There is no need to buy a gadget.

If you feel you MUST have a gadget to separate eggs, buy one for a dollar and invest the $349.00 for your retirement.

I'm very glad to make a few of you all's weekends!

I separate a lot of eggs. A little history on why I saw this on tv and thought it would be a nice gadget to have. My daughter has a minor allergy to egg white, yolks are fine as long as much white is off of it as possible. Hard boiling makes this quiet easy, but doing anything else, I like to separate and use a substitute for the white, and use real yolks, nothing beats a real yolk. While this gadget is not worth 345 dollars to me either (I've been doing it the normal way for years), watching this thing work on tv (ok, so it was an episode of the apprentice UK, the ice cream challange for those of you who saw it, its shown on there very briefly), I thought wow, even for 3-4 eggs this is quick and easy, I'm sure cleanup wouldn't be that bad, just some quick soap and water wash and rinse. It'd probably stay on the counter out of the way most of time, used, and slid back.

Now I've tried a lot of separators, they are all 99% the same. I haven't tried that face mug one yet, don't look too bad, but this contraption is much more my style.

Just curious of anyone might know who makes it, or if there is a name for it (other than PRO Egg Separator, of which there are tons, too generic a term). I have emailed the web site, and will post when they reply if they can get me anymore information, however, with such a rich and diverse membership on this forum, I thought this would be a great place to try as well.

Thanks again, and have a great weekend (on me!)

I can see why you would want something a bit faster the hand and shell method. Makes sense. Oh..and BTW.. Welcome to DC!
Dave

I can see why you would want something a bit faster the hand and shell method. Makes sense. Oh..and BTW.. Welcome to DC!
Dave

Thanks for the welcome Dave!

Yeah, I don't mind the hand method too much, but why not be entertained while cooking! It looked pretty cool when it was working on tv, very rube goldberg 'esq as mentioned. However, its in no way shape or form worth as much as a nice KA stand mixer, or a top of the line food processor with all the attachments you could get! I'm hoping its a misprint and its 34.50 cents, if so I'll post a video of it in action when it gets here ;)

Thanks again all!

I'm thinking that the fellow who started the Industrial Egg Separation thread would be interested in this device.

Thanks for the welcome Dave!

Yeah, I don't mind the hand method too much, but why not be entertained while cooking! It looked pretty cool when it was working on tv, very rube goldberg 'esq as mentioned. However, its in no way shape or form worth as much as a nice KA stand mixer, or a top of the line food processor with all the attachments you could get! I'm hoping its a misprint and its 34.50 cents, if so I'll post a video of it in action when it gets here ;)

Thanks again all!
:) To me the hand method is the best way for just a few eggs you can let the white run out of on hand and then transfer yolk to the other to get the rest if your hands are wet it works even better and you can gently pry of that little white thingy as well. The fresher the eggs the easier it is. I say this because when one wants to make a Hollandaise or Bearnaise sauce you do not want even the tiniest bit of white and if this is mainly for your daughter that is all you need.

I'm thinking there is someone out there separating dozens of eggs daily who would think $345 isn't an unreasonable amount of money for the boss to spend.

egg separator

jpmcgrew, Gag Gift, indeed!! That's so gross!!! But a teapot could do that too. and it'd have a lid. you could probably find at Dollar Store.
My grandmother had a separator I still have. She probably bought it in the 50's/60's. I'll try to explain: it's a white plastic circle in a circle. The inner circle is bowed like a rounded soup spoon about the diameter of a chicken egg yolk. the inner circle is attached to the outer circle, made of the same plastic with about a 1/4 " gap, where the egg white drips out inbetween the two circles into a measuring cup or whatever you rest it on. the two circles are attached by a four point X(north,south,east west). It's all one piece of plastic, works great and I hope it lasts another 50/60 years.
It's probably still around. I have some kitchen places around me. I'll check them out and let you know. It's a cute, but simple and useful little toy, even a child would like using, and could use throughout her life.

You can get this one at Sears for around 4 bucks American

Or yo can go all stainless steel and get this one for around 10 bucks

If it was my daughter that had the allergy I would separate eggs by hand to make sure I did EVERYTHING I could to keep her safe.

CAINE; this loks alot like the one my grandmother, I have, but a bit more elaborate. We had no handle and it wasn't red - love the red! But yes!, gld my descriptio was clear enough that someone got it. It does work great. Stainless steal is not my thing. Looks too commercial for my oldfashion kithcen, but would work too, I suppose.
I forgot to mention, you need another bowl for the eeg yolk to empty in so you can go to the next egg. Fun though. And you need two bowls for the 345 dollar contraption too.

Thanks, CAINE. Pictures speak louder..........................

Back
Top Bottom