What one tool in your kitchen do you treasure the most?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
luca, we have this dreary winter day here, a feeble sun just not up to the task. horizons are drooping, spirits failing--do you have a recipe for this, luca? what do i make for dinner? :(

A gorgeous polenta col brasato, obviously! And a bottle of good Barbera, to help raise high your spirits!

Here is the brasato, here is the polenta (a bit lengthy, but this guy is a true Italian, I suppose), just use the beef sauce to top the polenta, as in the video, then serve it in the plates with the beef (you can avoid the Parmigiano cheese topping of the video). And for the Barbera, you can substitute it with any good, robust, red wine.

Buon appetito vitauta!

Last edited:
A gorgeous polenta col brasato, obviously! And a bottle of good Barbera, to help raise high your spirits!

Here is the brasato, here is the polenta (a bit lengthy, but this guy is a true Italian, I suppose), just use the beef sauce to top the polenta, as in the video, then serve it in the plates with the beef (you can avoid the Parmigiano cheese topping of the video). And for the Barbera, you can substitute it with any good, robust, red wine.

Buon appetito vitauta!

many thanks, luca, for an inspirational choice of meals to revive a sagging spirit! i love this polenta video! i love the dueling diners racing for the middle of the polenta board for the prize...this video is a treasure, as are you, luca.
the stirring of this creamy comfort (porridge?) should provide a welcome distraction from my gloomy funk, but if not, i have this robust fruity plum wine just waiting in the wings.--> on my way to the polenta store....:)

many thanks, luca, for an inspirational choice of meals to revive a sagging spirit! i love this polenta video! i love the dueling diners racing for the middle of the polenta board for the prize...this video is a treasure, as are you, luca.
the stirring of this creamy comfort (porridge?) should provide a welcome distraction from my gloomy funk, but if not, i have this robust fruity plum wine just waiting in the wings.--> on my way to the polenta store....:)

Yuou're verrrrry welcome!

And I loved that polenta eating competition, too. However, that nice couple would be no match for a professional polenta eater like me... :pig:

I have an old stone from a friends grandfather. He used to go around the neighborhood with his horse and cart sharpening knives and scissors. I vaguely remember him. My mother use to give him her knives. A couple of swipes across the top and it brings my knives right back to sharpness like they were new. I wouldn't trade my stone for all the electric sharpeners. I gave my electric Chef's Choice to my son. :chef:

Addie said:
I have an old stone from a friends grandfather. He used to go around the neighborhood with his horse and cart sharpening knives and scissors. I vaguely remember him. My mother use to give him her knives. A couple of swipes across the top and it brings my knives right back to sharpness like they were new. I wouldn't trade my stone for all the electric sharpeners. I gave my electric Chef's Choice to my son. :chef:

Wow, that is so cool!! I wish someone would come to my house and sharpen my knives lol. I just use a honing rod that is like a file so it sharpens and hones

Wow, that is so cool!! I wish someone would come to my house and sharpen my knives lol. I just use a honing rod that is like a file so it sharpens and hones

I remember him coming around with his horse drawn cart. He had two wheels inside that he made spin with a foot pedal. Kind of like the old treadle sewing machines. I remember the horse was a big brown one with what is called a blaze down its nose. I was scared to death of that horse. To a five year old, he looked so big and mean. :ohmy:

Last edited:
I remember him coming around with his horse drawn cart. He had two wheels inside that he made spin with a foot pedal. Kind of like the old treadle sewing machines. I remember the horse was a big brown one with what is called a blaze down its nose. I was scared to death of that horse. To a five year old, he looked so big and mean. :ohmy:

I grew up In Toronto, in the early fifties, I'm 65 ,and remember the Italian knife sharpen guy, he'd ring his bell, and you'd come out and get your blades honed.
I remember the Simcoe Ice horse drawn cart, in the pre refrigerator days, and you could pick up chunks of ice for free! Off the road, where the ice mans tongs punched bits of ice out so you got a free clear Popsicle minus stick, no charge.
Sweet as!
Anyhow, my knife sharpener has a suction cup clamp lock and one draws the blade in a soft motion which removes steel from the blade to produce SUPER SHARP, wear shoes, no drinking and cooking type sharp blades.:yum:

I grew up In Toronto, in the early fifties, I'm 65 ,and remember the Italian knife sharpen guy, he'd ring his bell, and you'd come out and get your blades honed.
I remember the Simcoe Ice horse drawn cart, in the pre refrigerator days, and you could pick up chunks of ice for free! Off the road, where the ice mans tongs punched bits of ice out so you got a free clear Popsicle minus stick, no charge.
Sweet as!
Anyhow, my knife sharpener has a suction cup clamp lock and one draws the blade in a soft motion which removes steel from the blade to produce SUPER SHARP, wear shoes, no drinking and cooking type sharp blades.:yum:

The father of one of the residents in our building was our ice and oil man. His family still has his ice tongs.

As long as this discussion has tangeted into sharp knives and such, I've never mastered hand honing my knives with stone and oil. Over the years, however, I've come across countless knife sharpening devices, both electric and non-electric, all of which failed me. A couple of years ago I got knowledge of the Edgemaker brand of knife sharpeners. Edgemaker still requires some eye hand coordination, but I think I've found my favorite kitchen tool, as far as knife sharpeners go.

Last edited:

I'm wary of any electric sharpener that has "guides" to position the knife in order to sharpen properly. Here's a hint as to my thinking on these type electric sharpeners, Chef's Choice line of products (probably the most well known of electric sharpeners) comes out with a new model each year, as if they're gonna get there some day. :LOL:

Last edited:
As long as this discussion has tangeted into sharp knives and such, I've never mastered hand honing my knives with stone and oil. Over the years, however, I've come across countless knife sharpening devices, both electric and non-electric, all of which failed me. A couple of years ago I got knowledge of the Edgemaker brand of knife sharpeners. Edgemaker still requires some eye hand coordination, but I think I've found my favorite kitchen tool, as far as knife sharpeners go.
I use the Edgemaker on my Forschner knives. It does a credible job on typical kitchen knives. They won't work well on Japanese style knives. For my J's I send them out. The difference is unbelievable.

I'm wary of any electric sharpener that has "guides" to position the knife in order to sharpen properly. Here's a hint as to my thinking on these type electric sharpeners, Chef's Choice line of products (probably the most well known of electric sharpeners) comes out with a new model each year, as if they're gonna get there some day. :LOL:
It's not electric, it requires a hand to pull thru the steel bits, which can flop and spin 180 so you can sharpen by sharpening manual.:ohmy: infinitely.

Caslon said:

Since this is basically just two steels across each other, wouldn't it just hone, and not actually sharpen? That would explain why it "takes less metal off the blade so your knives last longer". It doesn't sound like it creates a new edge, it just pulls the super fine ridges on the sharp edge of the blade back in line, which is honing, not sharpening.

Since this is basically just two steels across each other, wouldn't it just hone, and not actually sharpen? That would explain why it "takes less metal off the blade so your knives last longer". It doesn't sound like it creates a new edge, it just pulls the super fine ridges on the sharp edge of the blade back in line, which is honing, not sharpening.
Edgemaker has 4 separate sharpeners of varying degrees of smoothness. The first three are more like files or those rough steels. The final one is a hone. You need not use all of them at any one time, only those required.

Although they will never get a knife as sharp as a King 8000 grit stone, there is little learning curve, and a minimal amount of time involved. For many people with typical american or german knives, they work well.

My new favourite tool is a 5 kg capacity, electronic, kitchen scale. I love the "tare" function. I can stick a bowl on it; switch it on; and then weigh out whatever.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom