What Totally Worthless (monetarily) Kitchen Tool Do You Love?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
We have talked about nice kitchen tools that we wouldn't want to be without, but what about the hunk-of-junk tool that you couldn't give away if you tried, but you love it? Or a freebie that you treasure as much as Grandma's old silver?

For me it is the two Kool-Aid spoons I got a few years ago, each one free with a bag of Splenda. I have two of them and I use them all the time. They have long handles, holes (Mr. Kool-Aid's face) in the bowl of the spoon, and are made of very sturdy plastic. You couldn't buy them from me! :cool:

What do you use them for?

I have an egg turner that's loose in the handle, but it's the one (of 4) that I always grab. I just like the way it's easy to flip food in the frying pan, or cut slices from a meatloaf, etc.

Maybe the cheap plastic shrimp deveiner. I think it might have been free with a pound of shrimp many years ago. Works perfectly and looks likely to go on forever, since it's not a real high force sort of job.

I still have my mom's old vegetable peeler that dates from sometime in the 1960s. I've tried to replace it with newer style peelers over the years, but they never work quite as well or feel as comfortable in my hand, so I just keep going back to it.

An old barbecue spatula that I lost the wood handle too. It was a cheap one and flimsly.I use it in the kitchen now. It has the perfect flex to it.
I bought the OXO one but it is a little too flexible.

OHO! I know... I have two. One is the pickle picker I got at a Tupperware party eons ago.

The second is the scoon (yes, you read that right: S-C-O-O-N!) that came in the Stewart's Coffee back in the dark ages, and which I still use to measure coffee for my pot.

My little plastic citrus peeler, probably from the same Tupperware party!

Most of them were awful but, I have to say the last one I went to was in a local saloon and we had a lot of fun!

Same Tupperware party. A scoop. It sits in the drawer and is always in the way. Time to toss it. And I have a butter knife that came with a set that was given to me. The rest of the set has gone. Time for the butter knife to go also. I have never used it. And I have a collection of coffee scoops when they came with the coffee. Time to toss them also. I use a measuring cup of 1/3. Perfect measure for a perfect cup of coffee.

Now you've got me thinking. I need to clean out some drawers in the kitchen.:ohmy:

What do you use them for?...
I use them for pretty much anything that calls for a spoon. :cool: I don't just use them for Kool-Aid, but for stirring cold and hot foods and drinks, mixing various batters, serving, etc. When I don't want to get another utensil dirty (or if it is handy and I need something quick) I have used them to flip meat when it is browning. :)

Last edited:
Dang. I may have to root around in the yard and get me a kitchen rock.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom