What's your favorite small kitchen gadget?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spice1133

Senior Cook
I love gadgets, my favorites are

1. Large cake lifter.
2. Baking strips (what a difference they make)
3. Microplane shredder
4. Offset spreader. (don't know if thats the correct name but it's long narrow and offset and is great for frosting.

Im not much of a gadget guy but I can tell you what I use the most out of my random assortment of utensils:

Large wiremesh strainer thingy: It's got a nice handle so it can strain small batches of pasta, fish things out of a pot, sift cornstarch and strain sauces. One of my most abused utensils by far.

Giant bamboo chopsticks: they are great for plucking things out of hot oil without smashing them or scooping up oil. Also I can use them to fry rice without smashing any of it. Also I have a tendency to pick things up with my fingers to flip them or taste them but using the chopsticks it dosent look that bad if people catch me.

:-p

Lugaru said:
From Chocolate's other posts I picture her like the James Bond of cooking.

I like that Lugaru.....the James Bond of cooking!

I guess you mean I have the ultimate weapons....:cool:

---I love my feemster slicer!
---Also my little immersion blender
---Tupperwear corkscrew (it's almost the only thing I have from them, but it's by far the greatest corkscrew known to man, IMO)
---and my tint brushes. {{"huh? "you ask}} Since I was in the hair industry, I had all the hairdresser gadgets, and one day, while highlighting someone's hair, it occured to me that my tint brush was firmer than my basting brush at home. It was also super easy to clean! (these babies are used to handling 40 vol. peroxide and higher without breaking down) So, the next time I was at the beauty supply store I bought some good Matrix tint brushes. I use them for everything, and they go in the dishwasher just fine.

My favorite small gadget "was" my 12" stainless steel tweezers. It went to gadget heaven after 20 years of loyal kitchen service...I have been unable to replace it in Costa Rica so I am now using long chopsticks....

My wooden tongs, potato masher, and a silicone gripper that I used to open jars with. I love the wooden tongs. I use them for turning meats, stir-frying, etc. They are always in the kitchen dish drainer and usually never make it back into the utensil drawer. :)

For non-cutlerly, I'd say:

1. My KA high temp spatula- most high temp ones are stiff, but mine is very flexible. Perfect for omellettes. Plus it's Vike's Purple!:LOL:

2. China Cap - not an everyday use item, but handy.

3. Stainless steel tongs - I'd sell my grill if I didn't have tongs!:ROFLMAO:

4. Kitchen Wizard- they're a cross between tongs and a wire whisk. Yeah, sounds goofy but incredibly handy. You can pluck an egg out of water as easily as using your fingers! Works great as a whisk, too.

5. Tungsten Carbide sharpener - No, you wouldn't use them on your good knives, but I keep a couple of $35 chef knives that I sharpen with this + regular steeling.

I have one of those kitchen drawers that many cooks seem to have.... ie filled with 'must have' gadgets that looked so clever in the shop, but never really useful in the home environment!

However, we have a Co in the UK which has a number of shops - I don't buy much online from them, but their shops are a joy to wander round - we've got one in Edinburgh and I could spend hours looking at all the things I suddenly think I cant live without....

www.lakelandlimited.com

They have wonderful tiny little whisks, plain metal and silicon ones too - I have about 4 on the go at any one time. Great for whipping up a small amount of salad dressings, or whisking eggs etc.

i love this old, beat up wooden spoon. it's heavy and little.
i also love my Magic Bullet, cause it's small, can be used as a blender/juicer/food processer and is easy to use.
i love my Pampered Chef whisk- nice and heavy.

Last edited:
Graco microplane (large and small)
Mellon baller (use to core apples and pears)
Parchment paper
Potatoe ricer
Cheese slicer (the Norwegian kind, dah)
FOOD SAVER
Magnetic wall-mounted knife holder
I can complete this after I fix dinner tonight.

Spice1133 said:
I love gadgets, my favorites are

1. Large cake lifter.
2. Baking strips (what a difference they make)
3. Microplane shredder
4. Offset spreader.

I don't bake as much as I want to. What's a cake lifter?
#2. I like those too.
3. Got have a microplane
4. Correct, offset [fill_in_blank_tool]

Also, I like my spoon. I have a spoon that is very strong, doesn't bend. I use it for a lot of stuff.
And my 8" Whustoff.

Like a lot of folks, I have a bunch of gadgets that I just don't really use that much. Right now, I have two kitchen drawers filled with stuff. I used to have 3 - 4, but I pitched a lot of stuff when I moved to MI.

Right now, I'd have to say my most useful gadgets are:
Wire whisk
Flat whisk
Probe thermometers
silicone spatula (used for eggs and omelettes)
The small food processor attachment for my immersion blender (I've used that attachment more the immersion blender itself)
My KA mixer, which, unfortunately, isn't working right now. Due to other problems, I haven't had the time to see where the loose wire is.
I also have a couple China Caps, one of which is commercial-strength. I use it like Lugaru mentioned, to fish out solid materials from liquid (usually bones from broth), then, with the hook and handle of the China cap, mount it on a stock pot and pour the broth through to remove the last of the solid materials.

AllenMI said:
Like a lot of folks, I have a bunch of gadgets that I just don't really use that much. Right now, I have two kitchen drawers filled with stuff. I used to have 3 - 4, but I pitched a lot of stuff when I moved to MI.

I also have a couple China Caps, one of which is commercial-strength. .

At the risk of sounding ignorant or something, what are china caps?????

I finally figured out what my favorite small kitchen gadget is:
img_105475_0_de3b9192cc137b9d44b14067760cad5b.jpg
img_105475_1_d6e343023f4756e475541e1b0453cc2d.jpg

It is sturdier than most others and larger also. The holes are big enough to hold the handles of restaurant turners and spoons, and oxo good grip tools. The slots hold baking spatulas and stuff. And the thing revolves. I have several of them.

Back
Top Bottom