$5.00 & elbow grease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salt and pepper

Executive Chef
OK, so this morning my GF comes home with a box of cooking utensil's, bowls, pans etc. And to my surprise 5 cast iron pieces. A bread pan, biscuit pan, dutch oven, 8" fry pan and a 12" fry pan. Now what was really cool was, she payed $5 bucks for all of them. What wasn't so cool was that they were a mess, I mean a real mess. I know for a fact that they weren't used in over 6 years. They really looked disgusting! Gunk, rust, dried out and down right ugly. I knew I had my work cut out for me.
I started by scraping all the gunk etc, Then filled the sink with hot soapy water and vinegar to soak. Next I washed them out with steel wool to rid the rust, or what I thought would get rid of the rust. Not so. The next step was to put them through the cleaning cycle in the oven. You would think by this time, they would be clean, but no! Once cooled it was time to sand the rest of the rust off. Starting to look better after sanding, I re-washed with hot soapy water. Pre heated the oven to 300 and put on a thin coat of oil and into the oven for 2 hrs, let cool and repeated the process again. Yes, this was an all day affair, but worth it in the end. I'll follow up with some pics.

This is what it looked like after going through the oven cleaning cycle.More sanding to be done!
39817-albums960-picture5821.jpg

Holy cow, what a deal! :ohmy::w00t: I'm in love with that biscuit pan, I've never seen one like that before. Great finds!

Wow, what a great job you did restoring those pans S&P. I have two Wagner pans my Mom gave me when I was pregnant. They're almost 34 years old and the best CI pans I own (sorry Lodge).

This is what it looked like after going through the oven cleaning cycle.More sanding to be done!
39817-albums960-picture5821.jpg
Is it copper? It looks like a preserving/jam pan. If it's copper don't use it for anything acidic such as jam or chutney, etc,. or anything that requires long cooking. I know that brass and copper used to be used for these purposes but combined with fruit acid or vinegar they are not good for you.

I have one of my great grandmother's copper preserving pans - I use it as a cachepot for my aspidistra (which is a cutting from Great grandmother's plant!).

Is it copper? It looks like a preserving/jam pan. If it's copper don't use it for anything acidic such as jam or chutney, etc,. or anything that requires long cooking. I know that brass and copper used to be used for these purposes but combined with fruit acid or vinegar they are not good for you.

I have one of my great grandmother's copper preserving pans - I use it as a cachepot for my aspidistra (which is a cutting from Great grandmother's plant!).

It is cast iron. The pic shows the pot after restoration and seasoning.

He shoots, he scores!!! Nice days work. Now, I think you should cook your partner something nice in those to thank her....she done good!

I have the same 8 inch skillet...

Last edited:
He shoots, he scores!!! Nice days work. Now, I think you should cook your partner something nice in those to thank her....she done good!

I have the same 8 inch skillet...
Took your advice Rock, And made pizza in the biscuit pan. She loved them.
39817-albums960-picture5823.jpg

The pizza looks great! What an awesome deal. little jealous. I inherited a few CI pieces from my grandmother. My cousin got her wedding ring but I have to say...I think I got the better deal, she used them daily for over 60 years and now our family uses them daily also. A lot of love and memories in the CI pans and I like them better the most pans on the market. Good job cleaning them up.

Wow! Great find S&P! Don't know if you do Facebook, but there is a group there that I belong to called Cast Iron Cooking. You might be interested. You have a ready made collection and that group would love to see it and hear about it. Congrats!

The little mini pizzas looks so good, s&p! Still can't get over what a great find your gf stumbled upon. I look for things like that all the time, they are few and far between. Great job on restoring them! :flowers:

Holy cow, what a deal! :ohmy::w00t: I'm in love with that biscuit pan, I've never seen one like that before. Great finds!
I saw one in Cracker Barrel when I went for dinner with the grandkids Saturday night. Didn't look to see how much it was though.

Back
Top Bottom