All Clad Chef's Pan or Saute Pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stevie

Cook
Hey, If you could only afford one which would it be? I have the All Clad 12" and 8" frying pan's already. I want the most versatile, I think the chef's pan would do the trick. Please advise. :?:

My opinion would be that the saute pan would be the most versitle for me, but since I don't know what or how you cook I can't say which would be best for you. But, here are some things to think about:

The 12" saute pan is deeper than the fry pan, has straight sides, so the bottom (cooking surface) is going to be nearly the diameter of the top of the pan (about 11.75" probably). To me, this is the most versitle. - there is nothing I couldn't do in it if I had only one pot/pan.

The 12" fry pan is not as deep and, bacause of it's sloping sides, has a smaller diameter bottom (9.25") - so it has less "cooking surface" than the saute pan. If I only had one pot/pan - this would be my second choice.

The 12" chef's pan is somewhere between a small Wok and a large Saucier. It would be the most limited of use, to me, since it has the smallest cooking surface - only about 6".

Thanks Michael, Good point about the size of the cooking surface. I think I'll go with the saute pan. :)

If you haven't already noticed, All-Clad's 6 qt. saute is HUGE. I'd go with a 4 qt. saute for the most useful application in your home.

Most of my cookware is All-Clad Stainless. My most VERSITLE item is not a fry or a saute, but it is my 8 qt. stock pot. I use it for EVERYTHING.

I own two. Honest to God, when I got my first one, I think I fell asleep holding it. I love it that much.

One other thing to consider, All-Clad makes a product called a Saute Pot. Their 6 qt. model is not as wide as a 6 qt saute, but it is taller. This makes it very useful for brazing and sauces, as well as searing and browning.

All-Clad Stainless just plain RULES!

RJ

I splurged and bought the 4qt. Sauce pan and the 4qt. Saute pan both with lids and loop. I like em alot :)

Um..Stevie, altho they are sensitive and kind people, Michael and Ardge are mos' definitely not women, I garontee! You better talk jennyema into it.

I use Paderno cookware, it is made in Prince Edward Island, Canada. It has a 25 year warranty and is very similar to All Clad but usually about 25% less. they also make a second line called Chadier...it has a lifetime warranty and is more similarly priced to All Clad. This cookware is actually used in our Prime Minister Residence and on your Air Force One. The Chadier line is considered "restaurant quality".....now my long winded response (sorry) is to tell you I love my saute pan and because of its metal handle I use it extensively in my oven. Oh by the way if anyone is interested in looking at Paderno....go to www.paderno.com

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom