All Clad Cleaning Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hwilson18

Assistant Cook
Hi!
My husband and I are really wanting to purchase a set of the all clad cookware, but after doing some reading I am a bit concerned about 1 thing.
After each use, are you supposed to clean with a product such as BKF? Or can you clean with a normal, (obviously good quality) dish soap and then use BKF as a regular maintenance?

Right now I have some cheaper SS cookware with copper bottoms that does just fine, and I clean it with dishsoap after each use and like, monthly do a good BKF cleaning to bring the copper back to life as well as remove any spots on the interior. Would this suffice for the all clad cookware, or no?

My concern is, I do not like using the BKF. I think it does a fabulous job and I love the results, but it tears up my hands and I have to hardcore scrub out my sink after because it leaves a weird film, and on top of that, does it kill any bacteria, because I was under the impression it did not.

Anywho. Just wanted to be educated and aware of what I will need to be prepared to do do before we make this purchase.

It depends on how the pot or pan looks. If dish soap and a brush or plastic scrubber gets it clean, that's all I do. If I still see food or hard water rings in the pan, I use Barkeeper's Friend.

BTW, I don't understand why you're having problems with the BKF. I never bothers my hands. I just put a very small amount of BKF on a damp paper towel and scrub lightly. I do always use a little detergent afterward to be sure no BKF is left on the surface of the pan.

One alternative to BKF is Bon Ami. It's even less harsh than BKF.

I don't know why either but it really drys out my hands and makes them really red and flaky and sore, and I am an esthetician so I have to make sure I can use my hands.
I was taught to wet the pan and a cloth, and sprinkle a light amount of BKF on the pot or on the cloth and rub in circular motions. Which is what I do...idk maybe my hands are just sensitive.

If you are talking about SS you can just throw it in the dishwasher or wash by hand.

You only need BKF if there is a stain or spot.

IMO it's probably one of the most maintainance-free kinds of cookware you can buy.

BKF isn't meant to disinfect or clean, it is more of a stain remover, so you need to clean your cookware after you use it.

Welcome to DC Miss Wilson.... Make yourself at home!!

I would say you can pretty much treat (clean) your All Clad the same way you are cleaning your SS Copper Bottom Cookware...It should be just fine. If the BKF causes your hands problems the Bon Ami product may be an option.

Also this may interest you...Click Here

Enjoy!!

BKF dries out my hands terribly too; they get very red and chapped. But I love the results on my All Clad stainless so I keep using it. In the future, I think I may resort to wearing dorky rubber gloves, lol. :doh:

Btw, I use BKF after washing my pans with regular dish soap, and only if there are remaining stains or discoloration.

P.S.--I love love love my All Clad stainless. Def go for it!

ohh thanks for the link Uncle Bob!

You're Welcome!! Also, I am of the opinion that buying "Sets" of Cookware is not always the best use of one's resources...Often times you wind up with pieces that you really don't need/use/want. Deciding what pieces you will actually use/need and buying just those is sometimes a better option....
Never pay retail for All-clad...Look for sales, promotions etc, both locally and on the Internet!!

Have Fun!!!

Cameo works well on SS, too, but it might be just as hard on your hands as the BKF. I vote for using gloves.

bkf cleans brass copper stainless etc. Bon Ami (silica from egg shells) polishes stainless and does not affect hands as much. It's very gentle, and should take care of any discoloration on stainless cookware.

I'm using something right now called "Kleen King". They don't carry BKF at the commissary, and I just didn't feel like going to two stores this time around, so I'm trying it. It works pretty well. It may be worth a try....
I usually use the BKF with a bit of soap and water and my non-abrasinve sponge when I'm doing dishes. I used to have Towne Craft, and that's how they showed me to clean it, and it works well for me. Then the film washes away when I rinse, and I spray out my sink when I'm done washing dishes.

I also love my All-Clad, and agree with Uncle Bob about buying a retaiol-priced set. I made that mistake, and have a few pans that I don't use, and have had to buy a few more to complete my set.

The Baker's Catalogue offers cookware that I'm sure is All-Clad, but doesn't bear the name. They just kind of hint at it....

The May/June issue of Cook's Illustrated has a review of cookware sets, as well as price comparisons, and their own recommendations for a set, and it's price. Too bad they didn't publish this two years ago when I bought my cookware. :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom