All-Clad vs cast iron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After reading the comments from yesterday I decided to get the Lodge 12 inch deep cast-iron skillet for frying chicken. When I called about this item I was told it weighs 10 pounds!!! If my husband is not home, I'd struggle just getting the skillet out of the cabinet onto the stove. Any comments about frying chicken in all-clad vs cast-iron? Thanks!

How about a regular 12" skillet rather than a deep one. You could use a splatter shield to hold down the splatter.

As for frying chicken in All-Clad, you can do it but temperature control would be different.

The heavier the pan the better it is for frying. More weight means more mass. More mass means less temp drop when adding food. That is important to frying. That being said, if a pan is too heavy then you will not use it so it is a trade off. You can fry just fine with All Clad. You have a little more wiggle room with CI, but it is not worlds difference.

cast iron is an ideal material for frying and searing as it holds the heat well. That said, it is heavy and if that is a problem for you, a thick aluminum pan will work well. If you have the AllClad already, use it certainly. If you don't, a restaurant store will save you $$ on a big heavy aluminum pan.

Back
Top Bottom