All Clad's handles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluemack

Assistant Cook
Is there some way to get around how uncomfortable the handles feel on the All Clad cookware? Does All Clad make any handle holders?

mack

I've never seen a handle holder made by All-Clad but one of the generic ones might help. Some people aren't bothered by the All-Clad handles, and I have no trouble with the smaller, lighter pieces like our 1-1/2 quart sauce pan. It's the big sauce pans and the sauté pans that I don't like. We have a couple of the old MC (not MCII) pans with the rough cast handles that don't bother me as much.

bluemack said:
Is there some way to get around how uncomfortable the handles feel on the All Clad cookware?

I'd say the first thing to do is not to buy something that doesn't feel comfortable. Take it back and exange for something that you like.

Hello and welcome to DC. It is a shame that the All Chad's Handles are uncomfortable - but the one thing that everyone should do is try the handles before your buy them and make sure they are comfortable in your hands.

A hot pad or a towel.

As mentioned before, some of the worst designed handles on any cookware.

I had to find some pictures online to see what you are talking about. Yes they do look like they thin down to nothing near the pan giving you very little to hold on to. I would recommend a towel or possibly try one of the silconce pan handle hot pads that simply slide over the end of the handle and cutting the tip off it so you can slide it down to the skinny part.

JDP

A friend of mine explained that these handles are intended to be used with your fingers curled around the bottom of the handle and your thumb in the groove on top. If needed, you can tuck the tip of the handle under the edge of your arm, for better balance.

I always use oven mitts with my cookware, and I find they give the right amount of padding on the AC handles. Some of the more rounded handles out there feel a little too big for my hands when I have mitts on. But then, I have pretty small hands.

well the next time I go into BB&B, I'll grab a pot holder and see how the handle feels.

mack

I actually like the handles on AC. They dissipate heat better than any other I've used. If you really hate the handle then a bunch of the competitive cookware is as good. ie Viking, Calaphon Stainless or One, even Kirkland.

I don't own them because I prefer the heat dissipation of AC although Calaphon One handles are a close second.

Metal handles such as A-C's are designed to slow the flow of heat from the pan up the handle. In the case of A-C, the narrowness near the pan restricts the flow of heat. Other makers use a two prong end on their handles with a triangular opening between the prongs. This provides the necessary stability with thin metal connecting the handle to the pot to restrict heat flow.

That being said, A-C handles are awkward to hold for me.

[
I don't own them because I prefer the heat dissipation of AC although Calaphon One handles are a close second.[/quote]

All my pans are Claphalon one. I do find the handles very comfortable. It takes putting them into the oven to get them untouchable.

JDP

I'll honestly admit that at first I wasn't too excited by the AC handles. But after I used them for awhile, they grew on me to the point where every other handle just feels wrong in my hand. I like the curved bottom that fits the curvature of my palm, and the concaved top that my thumb rests in. All the other pans I hold now with square or rounded handles feel unstable to me.

Gotta' love the heavy duty and oven-ready construction too!

I never have problems with the handles getting hot on teh stovetop if that was one of the original questions. They get warm, but no where near forcing me to use my towel.

Of course coming out of a 450ºF oven is another matter...
I don't care to mention how many times I've gone from smiles to silent open mouthed shock, with my eyeballs trying to release steam... :LOL:

But my hands are getting to the point where it only hurts for 15min or so rather than long hours into the night with my hand in a bucket of ice. Not sure if thats a good or bad thing. :-p

I had no problem with heat transfer of the stick handles on the All-Clad I had and I'm sure I could have gotten used to those two uncomfortable ridges digging into my hands but I guess I was used to pans with stick handles that didn't cut into my hands already.

If the All-Clad had done a better job of cooking than the Calaphalon Triply I compared it to I may be telling a different story now, but It didn't.

The stay cool hollow core stick and loop handles used on some cookware have no problem with head build up.

[

I don't care to mention how many times I've gone from smiles to silent open mouthed shock, with my eyeballs trying to release steam... :LOL:

Nick at linens and things they have this silcone tube that slides over the handle. I got one of these because I always forget when I take a pan out of the oven a set it on the stove. Next thing you know I picking it up to serve without a hot pad and I beging to say things I can't print. Simply placing this over the hot handle after removing it from the oven has solved this problem for me.

JDP

JDP said:
[

Nick at linens and things they have this silcone tube that slides over the handle. I got one of these because I always forget when I take a pan out of the oven a set it on the stove. Next thing you know I picking it up to serve without a hot pad and I beging to say things I can't print. Simply placing this over the hot handle after removing it from the oven has solved this problem for me.

JDP

The Lodge cast iron folks sell the sleeves. They're insulated cloth and very effective.

it wasn't the heat that gives me a problem. it has been how uncomfortable they are when I have held them in BB&B store. but since I know that some of you just got used to them, I'm going to keep it seriously in mind because i also do know they do cook very very well. America's Taste Kitchens love them and they have won all or at least most of their cooking equipment tests and they are very very thorough in how they test cookware. Their favorite 12" skillet / frying pan is the All Clad SS. They even liked the SS over the A-C copper core and all copper skillets.

Really appreciate all of your imput. it helps a great deal.

mack

they are modled on a French design...of deBuyer ... they do disapate the heat, and if you tuck your thumb in there as said above the hadle is non slip. Yes there are silicon and cloth sleves from many manufacturers...great things! so is the ove glove!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom