An Ode to Barkeepers Friend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks I'll keep looking!

Life was simpler when I was a kid, seems like all we had was one kind of dirt and one kind of soap! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Thanks I'll keep looking!

Life was simpler when I was a kid, seems like all we had was one kind of dirt and one kind of soap! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I know what you mean and it was Kirkman's or Octogon yellow soap. The dirt was in the back yard where you ruined your mother's best spoon digging in the dirt. :angel:

My relatives (who lived on a farm) back when...... made their own soap with the fat from butchering a pig and wood ashes and lye.

...it was Kirkman's or Octogon yellow soap.
Was the octagonal soap Fels Naptha? I have a bar by our utility tub. Best thing ever to wash off with if you come in contact with poison ivy. Works great for grass stains on clothes too. The other ever-present soap in our home was Ivory.

I thought this was a cooking forum, not a freakin dish washing forum! -j/k lol. Good cooks should know how to take care of their equipment. To me the cleaned pan looks scratched up, and I hate the can with the holes in the top. I've been using Ecolab's Grease Strip Plus or baking soda (as a mild abrasive). I'm curious how much better BKF works and if it's the cause of those scratches.

I'm a big fan of baking soda and I've been using it for cleaning for years. I haven't come across BKF here in Montreal, but I use Lagostina stainless steel cleaner and there are times when it takes care of stuff that my beloved baking soda doesn't. So, I figure the BKF does the same.

I thought this was a cooking forum, not a freakin dish washing forum! -j/k lol. Good cooks should know how to take care of their equipment. To me the cleaned pan looks scratched up, and I hate the can with the holes in the top. I've been using Ecolab's Grease Strip Plus or baking soda (as a mild abrasive). I'm curious how much better BKF works and if it's the cause of those scratches.

I don't get any scratches with BKF.

I agree the can with the holes in the top can be a pain. When I open a fresh can I put a piece of duct tape over all but 3 holes. It helps me to control the flow and makes it last longer.

They also make a liquid softscrub version, I have not tried it.

Still searching for the Dawn Power Dissolver ! The only place I have not checked in my area is Target!

Last edited:

There are always new cooks who don't already know everything.

I take a can of no fume EZ-OFF, spray the baked on residue, walk away for an hour or two. Whatever was on the pan comes off easily and I didn't any elbow grease. ;)

The last time I looked, I was cooking with pots and pans. And just like other items in my home that I use, they get dirty. Not wanting to have a serious health problem, I try to keep my pans clean. And with chemistry, we have been given products that attempt to make the job of keeping our pots and pans clean a little easier. BKF is one of those products.

So you see, pots and pans, food cooked in them. There is a tie in there.

We not only discuss cooking, but a myriad of subjects that are of interest to many of us. Please stay tuned and join in the fun. Take a look at that banner at the top of the page. it says, "Discover Cooking, Discuss Life." That is what this forum is all about. We all look forward to your contributions. :angel:

No scratches with Barkeeper's friend, I even use it on my glass top stove!

We use Ecolab's grease strip plus at work, that stuff is crazy good, but caustic as heck, it isn't something that you want on your skin!

No scratches with Barkeeper's friend, I even use it on my glass top stove!

We use Ecolab's grease strip plus at work, that stuff is crazy good, but caustic as heck, it isn't something that you want on your skin!

Now you know someone is going to come back with, "Well then, wear gloves like any sensible person would." Said in a nasty high pitched sing song tone.

Because I have psoriasis, I do have to be careful what touches my skin. Over the years I have found that the so called protective gloves are nothing but cheap plastic. And my hands are very small. A year or so ago, Winthrop sent me a whole box of Size Small latex free surgical gloves. I fell in love. I knew Winthrop would not send me another box, so I look at surgical supplies and found a place that sells most of their items to the general public. I ordered me a refill box. They are non-powered and I keep a small container of baby powder nearby. I put the glove in the powder, and then turn inside out. Glove goes on in a flash and saves my hands from exposure to nasty chemicals.

But I still have a love affair ongoing with BKF. No gloves needed. :angel:

Now you know someone is going to come back with, "Well then, wear gloves like any sensible person would." Said in a nasty high pitched sing song tone.

Because I have psoriasis, I do have to be careful what touches my skin. Over the years I have found that the so called protective gloves are nothing but cheap plastic. And my hands are very small. A year or so ago, Winthrop sent me a whole box of Size Small latex free surgical gloves. I fell in love. I knew Winthrop would not send me another box, so I look at surgical supplies and found a place that sells most of their items to the general public. I ordered me a refill box. They are non-powered and I keep a small container of baby powder nearby. I put the glove in the powder, and then turn inside out. Glove goes on in a flash and saves my hands from exposure to nasty chemicals.

But I still have a love affair ongoing with BKF. No gloves needed. :angel:

I'll never be without BKF! Sometimes the grease strip will splash when you are cleaning to vigorously, a coworker was leaning over the sink and it soaked through her shirt giving her a nasty chemical burn on her belly!

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

No scratches with Barkeeper's friend, I even use it on my glass top stove!...
I really hated my glass-top stove because of trying to get stuff off. Then I found out that BKF worked wonders. I have both the liquid and powdered in my base cabinet. If the liquid doesn't do the trick for stuck-on stuff the powder, made up as a paste, works every time. Still don't like my glass stove top, but we've learned to tolerate each other.

I'm gonna have to get some of this stuff now, but it's gonna go in some better kind of container. My poor baking soda; one less use of many.

I really hated my glass-top stove because of trying to get stuff off. Then I found out that BKF worked wonders. I have both the liquid and powdered in my base cabinet. If the liquid doesn't do the trick for stuck-on stuff the powder, made up as a paste, works every time. Still don't like my glass stove top, but we've learned to tolerate each other.

When my daughter bought her house the first big buy she made was a glass top stove. And she has regretted it ever since. She didn't even have it a month and she turned on one of the smaller units. The whole glass top just crumbled into small shards. She sent the whole stove back and demanded a complete new stove. She wasn't about to try to clean up all those little pieces of glass. She gets her new stove and she finds she has to stay right on top of every little spill or she has a heck of a time cleaning it. In her words, "Worse than have a newborn baby with the runs." :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom