Another cast iron question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larrydude

Assistant Cook
I have several CI pans that I have been using over several months. I have seasoned and cared for them properly. I can cook almost anything in them, including scrambled eggs without sticking. However, Everytime I try to grill or fry chicken, it sticks VERY badly right before it is cooked. Does it need more use? reseasoning. I cooked some skinless chicken last night and it stuck badly. Scrubbed it with hot water and a brush and rubbbed a small amount of shortening. I cooked eggs in the same pan this morning with zero sticking. What gives?

Are you trying to move the chicken as soon as you put it in the pan? The flesh needs to caramelize, then it will release once it develops a crust. All foods should release when they're ready.

I agree with AllenOK. I cook steaks on CI frequently, and you can't touch them at all for 2-3 minutes, until the skin and seasonings form a crust and the meat separates from the pan. It sounds like that could be the issue here.

Chicken sticking, may need to cook longer.....

I have several CI pans that I have been using over several months. I have seasoned and cared for them properly. I can cook almost anything in them, including scrambled eggs without sticking. However, Everytime I try to grill or fry chicken, it sticks VERY badly right before it is cooked. Does it need more use? reseasoning. I cooked some skinless chicken last night and it stuck badly. Scrubbed it with hot water and a brush and rubbbed a small amount of shortening. I cooked eggs in the same pan this morning with zero sticking. What gives?

I believe I saw it on the cooking shows on the FOOD NETWORK, that chicken will come off easier when it is done, and will stick just before. You might try waiting a few moments more.

If it seems to be burning, turn down the heat, you may be cooking at too high of a temperature.

I also saw one show where they fried the outer part on the range top, and then with a lot less oil, put the pan in the oven to roast the rest of the way at 350 degrees, no hotter.

most of the food i cook in my DO i'll use a little oil even if the food is fresh although it does tend to dry the food out. if i make stews any liquid from the veggies help keep the other stuff from sticking.

I also saw one show where they fried the outer part on the range top, and then with a lot less oil, put the pan in the oven to roast the rest of the way at 350 degrees, no hotter.

This is how I generally cook steaks and pork chops, sometimes chicken breasts. I usually get the pan smoking hot, do one side, let it caramelize, then flip and put it into the oven. The second side sears from the remaining heat in the pan and then the meat continues to bake to desired doneness.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom