Antique or Unusual Cookware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bitser

Senior Cook
Here are photos of a Griswold #8 waffle iron found in a old log chicken house, built around 1880. The iron was first sold around 1900.

yknIDTc.jpg

V6Okcnb.jpg

Pieces separated, top:

vOpuwFs.jpg

Bottom:

eswgWnM.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to you! Posting the pics inspired me to get after it with a wire brush and some naval jelly. Just rinsed it. Once it dries, I'll have another go.

dragn, navAL, not navEl. :LOL: You know, the branch of the military with big boats. ;) I can't believe you've never heard of it. We actually have a bottle of it in our basement right now, because Himself never knows when he might need it.

Well, my late father would have slapped me up the back of the head. A chemical engineer automatically assumed his offspring would know this.

:hammer: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :bangin:

and you know those navy guys...

Worked it over with wire brushes on a drill, then gave it a hearty scrub. Got flax seed oil (said to be the best for seasoning cast-iron) and coated it, then let it drip and drain for half a day. Popped it in a 450° oven for an hour, then let it cool inside.

Here's how it looks now.

rmlDuMm.jpg

HuMMZA2.jpg

Good Job! Bitser!

Maybe I'll do my things and try to sell. If it looks good enuf buyer won't mind broken hinge?

Think I would get enuf to make the effort worth while?

Type it in the search box (e.g. Griswold #8 antique waffle iron) and then hit Shopping. See what comes up as far as price— usually, there's a wide range.

Mine is not the same make. McClary? Penn. # 9. I did post a picture earlier on another thread but not sure where. :rolleyes:

I have looked it up but when a piece is broken, that effort to clean it up for the price you would get, is probably just not worth it. I actually would probably get more for the weight of the iron. ;)

Worked it over with wire brushes on a drill, then gave it a hearty scrub. Got flax seed oil (said to be the best for seasoning cast-iron) and coated it, then let it drip and drain for half a day. Popped it in a 450° oven for an hour, then let it cool inside.

Here's how it looks now.

rmlDuMm.jpg

HuMMZA2.jpg

That's gorgeous Nice job.

I looked on Ebay. Lowest price, and not in as good condition - $70. Prices in very good condition for low base, like yours - $170 to $400. I think you have a keeper.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom