Anyone have a handle fall off their pot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the handles go of a pot, that fell on the floor with hot soup in it... but it fell straight down so I didnt get hurt.

Drilling, well the nuts and bolts has to be food safe, yes no nickel or other harmful material and same goes for welding, so ask professional or get a new one.

I have the handles go of a pot, that fell on the floor with hot soup in it... but it fell straight down so I didnt get hurt.

Drilling, well the nuts and bolts has to be food safe, yes no nickel or other harmful material and same goes for welding, so ask professional or get a new one.

I think in this case, the nuts and bolts would be on the outside of the pot, so they wouldn't come in contact with food. But the recommendation is to use stainless steel, to prevent rusting.

The rivets securing my wok handle were weakening and getting loose so I replaced them with SS nuts and bolts with lock washers. Works great.

Welding will set you back you about $$60-120 bucks. Depending on welder, those are hourly rates and they usually have an hour minimum. Problem with drilling holes is water might seep thru. I'd still give it a try. It will cost you couple of dollars if that.

If you can find brass carriage bolts and cap nuts they'll at least blend in with the copper pot.

Here's a brass cap nut

Attachments

• Brass.cap.nut.jpg
    Brass.cap.nut.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 260
Use one of this screw with flat head on the inside:

Attachments

• homedecorhardware_2435_474693730.jpg
    homedecorhardware_2435_474693730.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 231
If you can find brass carriage bolts and cap nuts they'll at least blend in with the copper pot.

Here's a brass cap nut

All the carriage bolts I've ever seen have square "shoulders" designed to fit into a broached, square opening. Are you suggesting a forced fit or filing the hole to accept the carriage bolt?

All the carriage bolts I've ever seen have square "shoulders" designed to fit into a broached, square opening. Are you suggesting a forced fit or filing the hole to accept the carriage bolt?
I'd go with a forced fit as copper is a soft metal. May have to file the shoulders down a bit if they're taller than the thickness of the pot.

I am currently using the old copper Revereware pots and pans. There was some adjustment before I figured out where they could be safely kept and a couple of them fell on the floor before I had that figured out. Now because of that, or because of age, the brass handle of the 2 qt pot has fallen off.

I can't tell if the handle was riveted on or not. Although it looks to have been welded, I can see what looks like 3 screws in both the handle and the pan (there are no rivets in the inside of the pot itself - the entire inside is smooth all the way around).

My question is, is it worth it to try to reweld the handle back on and if it is, does anyone know where I would go to have this done? And any guess at what it might cost?

img_1478469_0_c65dc2613b97020d4167d60cec09d6b1.jpg

img_1478469_1_b843e460a0a3c0003b895ba659d5c35c.jpg

Your pot is Revere Signature ware. The handles were not riveted, but rather installed with a heat curing adhesive. I've heard of a couple of handles coming loose. To replace you have 2 options. A retinner such as Rocky Mountain Retinning can rivet the handle for you. The other option is to use one of the heat resistant glues now available. I bought a tube for a few bucks ago at an auto parts store. I am impressed with the holding quality.

A realistic price for that pot on EBay is $25 - $30 without the lid. Quite a few are available in unused condition as they were often used as decoration in coppertone kitchens. Either way the repair/replacement should be in this price range.

They're actually pretty good cookware. More copper clad stainless steel than true copper cookware.

Well, I may not like polishing them all the time, but I love cooking in them. The only problem is I need 2 sizes of fry pans and a large (10" to 12") covered saute pan, and that's what I don't have. I always think I could get those pieces (stainless steel) separately and then by the time I'm done pricing the pieces, it turns out I could get a whole set from Costco for the same price.

Maybe I'll try the glue thing. I haven't seen too many of these pots in the $30 range and I definitely need a lid.

Thank you, Jim!

Last edited:
I'm not so sure about using high temp expoxy or glue for this particular application. Sure, they're plenty strong and I've used them before to mend things together but I would not trust them here where you have a handle leveraging against the weight of a loaded pot. The bond will fail, IMO....

I am currently using the old copper Revereware pots and pans. There was some adjustment before I figured out where they could be safely kept and a couple of them fell on the floor before I had that figured out. Now because of that, or because of age, the brass handle of the 2 qt pot has fallen off.

I can't tell if the handle was riveted on or not. Although it looks to have been welded, I can see what looks like 3 screws in both the handle and the pan (there are no rivets in the inside of the pot itself - the entire inside is smooth all the way around).

My question is, is it worth it to try to reweld the handle back on and if it is, does anyone know where I would go to have this done? And any guess at what it might cost?

img_1478547_0_c65dc2613b97020d4167d60cec09d6b1.jpg

img_1478547_1_b843e460a0a3c0003b895ba659d5c35c.jpg

When I lived in San Diego, I had a trailer with a SS potable tank that developed a leak. I tried a number of welding places, and none of them would weld SS. Evidently, it's difficult to weld SS, and probably would discolr the metal, and possibly induce corrosive properties to the welded area.

I would check reputable machine shops as well as welding shops. They may come up with and elegant and attractive way of reconnecting the handle to the pot.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

RT, you are very lucky that handle didn't fall off full of hot food.

How can you trust it won't happen that way with the rest of the set?

I think you're better off getting rid of them now, rather than later and cut your losses before you wish you had done just that.

Revere signature ware

RT, you are very lucky that handle didn't fall off full of hot food.

How can you trust it won't happen that way with the rest of the set?

I think you're better off getting rid of them now, rather than later and cut your losses before you wish you had done just that.

Kayelle, there are millions of pieces of this cookware around. I have a few myself. I collect copper and use copper daily for cooking. I also frequent a few copper boards. I have heard of only one other handle failing, and this was on the stainless version of the same style. Revere signature cookware is as safe as any other cookware when it comes to handle failure.

Last edited:
Kayelle, there are millions of pieces of this cookware around. I have a few myself. I collect copper and use copper daily for cooking. I also frequent a few copper boards. I have heard of only one other handle failing, and this was on the stainless version of the same style. Revere signature cookware is as safe as any other cookware when it comes to handle failure.

That just can't be true. You must mean it's as safe as any cookware that has glued on handles.:ermm:

It can't be any worse than the disks falling off the bottoms of some pans. Anyway, this handle gave me a little warning. I noticed the handle was slightly loose a couple days before it came off, but I didn't think anything about it at the time. I'm not that worried. All I do with my pans is cook in them, wash them, and polish them. These are about the only times I'm holding them by the handle. I very seldom pick the pots up with food in them, now that I think about it. And now I know to be a little more careful if I do.

That just can't be true. You must mean it's as safe as any cookware that has glued on handles.:ermm:

I have no real idea how the handles are attached. What I said was that if I were to attempt a repair I would try one of the heat resistant super glues.

I'm pretty sure that the handles are attached in a manner similar to the Bakelite handled Revere, but I have no idea exactly how that is.

What I do know is that it doesn't seem to be a problem typical of this cookware.

I sure wouldn't throw away cookware I liked and has served others for decades with no problem on the slight chance that I may experience another handle failure.

It can't be any worse than the disks falling off the bottoms of some pans. Anyway, this handle gave me a little warning. I noticed the handle was slightly loose a couple days before it came off, but I didn't think anything about it at the time. I'm not that worried. All I do with my pans is cook in them, wash them, and polish them. These are about the only times I'm holding them by the handle. I very seldom pick the pots up with food in them, now that I think about it. And now I know to be a little more careful if I do.

Exactly. Cookware failures are not uncommon. My daughter had one of those guaranteed forever Pampered Chef roasting pans explode in the oven with a rib roast in it last Christmas. Pyrex and Corning ware occasionally explodes.

Use your pots and enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom