Anyone know what this pan is used for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samsonpablo

Assistant Cook
Hi, I found this pan in the back of a cabinet and I'm trying to figure out what it's used for :) It looks to be cast aluminium, it's about 3/4" deep. Any ideas?

panhs.jpg

Link to the image is http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/9118/panhs.jpg

I've been trying to work this one out. Let me ask - Is it solid metal. I mean, is it a flat bottom with those high points having lots of metal under them. Or is it the same thickness all over, in other words, is the bottom just the reverse of the top? It looks almost unused in the photo. Is that right?

Not a madeleine pan. This is a madeleine pan:

Attachments

• madeleinepan.jpg
    madeleinepan.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 293
Patty, I'll meet you at the corner of J and K.......you kill me.

To me, the pan just looks like a roasting pan, the egg shaped indentations are there so the lobster or meat roll like a pork loin, doesn't roll. That's a guess.

It does not have a flat bottom, the bottom is the inverse of the top. It "feels" like cast aluminum to me, and you're right, it's never been used :) On one end there are two holes on the bottom, one at each corner. They are maybe 3/16" of an inch almost like it can be put on something to hold it or to prop it up (?).

I've been trying to work this one out. Let me ask - Is it solid metal. I mean, is it a flat bottom with those high points having lots of metal under them. Or is it the same thickness all over, in other words, is the bottom just the reverse of the top? It looks almost unused in the photo. Is that right?

It almost looks like an insert into a commercial overhead venting system. they are composed of several separate perts to make them easier to clean. This would be one around the edge that surround the grease filter.

It almost looks like an insert into a commercial overhead venting system. they are composed of several separate perts to make them easier to clean. This would be one around the edge that surround the grease filter.

Something like that was my impression. I was pretty sure it wasn't a pan, and the holes makes me even more of that mind. I first thought it was a reflector of some sort under a heating element array.

Something like that was my impression. I was pretty sure it wasn't a pan, and the holes makes me even more of that mind. I first thought it was a reflector of some sort under a heating element array.

That occurred to me too, but seems a bit small and wide for a salamander. Heh, it's been at least 14 years since I worked in a commercial kitchen. The holes were what made me think of a surround for a vent, one little crimp and they were tough to rehang.

Last edited:
That occurred to me too, but seems a bit small and wide for a salamander. Heh, it's been at least 14 years since I worked in a commercial kitchen. The holes were what made me think of a surround for a vent, one little crimp and they were tough to rehang.

I'm thrown off by the ten dimples in the 'humps' A long cylindrical item would nestle perfectly on those dimples but I don't think it could be bread dough as the uncooked dough would sag down into the low points between the humps before the dough set and cooked. You'd end up with a wavy loaf of bread.

I'm beginning to wonder if it has anything at all to do with food.

I'm thrown off by the ten dimples in the 'humps' A long cylindrical item would nestle perfectly on those dimples but I don't think it could be bread dough as the uncooked dough would sag down into the low points between the humps before the dough set and cooked. You'd end up with a wavy loaf of bread.

I'm beginning to wonder if it has anything at all to do with food.

Unless they were shaped to fit around conduit or vent, the stack was usually about 6-8 inches in those commercial vents. If the vent was at 90 degrees to connect to another stack.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom