Arcane cooking terms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the descriptions already posted are insufficient for you, maybe you are a more tactile person. Why not just go down to a kitchen store and have a look and ask the assistant to explain the differences to you so you can see for yourself? Or print this thread out and take it with you. It may all become apparent to you.

Failing that, just buy what you like and will suit the job and don't worry about the history behind the pan.

If the descriptions already posted are insufficient for you, maybe you are a more tactile person. Why not just go down to a kitchen store and have a look and ask the assistant to explain the differences to you so you can see for yourself?

Clearly, I've failed to express myself well or you would never have suggested I go to a kitchen store and ask someone to explain the differences to me.

No one in our three cookware stores or one restaurant supply emporium here in town ever heard of a Lyon shaped frying pan. I don't think you know what a Lyon shaped frying pan is. I don't think such a product exists because no one seems to be able to provide a valid description of what a Lyon shape frying pan is. Earlier in this thread, someone provided three images — one purporting to be a Lyon shaped frying pan. That same pan is also described all over the internet as an ordinary skillet. If you know the difference, I'd love to know what it is.

I'm sorry I started all this, I should have purchased the first 8" fry pan I saw and thus avoided irritating everyone in this forum. As it is I've irritated myself the most — why does everyone pretend to know what that fantom pan is when it exists only in the mind of some nitwit ad writer.

mignon. a square is a rectangle but not all rectangles are squares. skillet is a generic term as is sauce pan etc. there are specific types of these items...such as rondoeau, windsor pan etc.
same with frying pans as I said earlier,
"terms differ from country to country. The Lyon pan is sometimes called a French pan, and if you go to parts Europe our fry pan here in the US is a saute pan and our saute pan is their fry pan."

yes a Lyon pan is a skillet, a fry pan, a sautee pan.

Chefscatalog has them, Broadway pan handler has them, Reading china and glass has them. all of these companies have web sites..

if you are interested and want one, order it...they are not that pricey.

but we have tried to explain the differneces and they are of handle shape, side slope and metal type and thickness.

deBuyer makes them.

Last edited:
Robo410: I appreciate all the help I received even as I moaned and groaned every inch of the way.

Well, finally I feel this pesky frying pan marathon has come to a satisfactory conclusion. I now have the authoritative source I feel I needed from the outset. The magic moment occurred at the ChefsCatalog where you suggested I look. The very detailed image that accompanied the text of a "French Carbon Steel Fry Pan," settled the matter once and for all as far as I'm concerned. I learned that what distinguishes this frying pan from a generic pan is that the handle does not go straight out from where it is attached. Instead the handle goes up an inch or two before it bends away from the pan. This has the effect of lowering the pan an inch or so from the handle. Or to put it another way, it has the effect of raising the handle and hand from the burner. Further, the handle itself is not flat like on a generic fry pan. In lengthwise silhouette, the handle is V or U shaped which provides the thumb and palm a secure grip and better control of the pan.

I'm embarrassed I was so dense about all this, I wish thank everyone who had a hand in providing me some insight.

P.S. After all that, I was too cheap to buy the ChefsCatalog $34.99 French Carbon Steel Fry Pan.

If the descriptions already posted are insufficient for you, maybe you are a more tactile person. Why not just go down to a kitchen store and have a look and ask the assistant to explain the differences to you so you can see for yourself?

Clearly, I've failed to express myself well or you would never have suggested I go to a kitchen store and ask someone to explain the differences to me.

No one in our three cookware stores or one restaurant supply emporium here in town ever heard of a Lyon shaped frying pan. I don't think you know what a Lyon shaped frying pan is. I don't think such a product exists because no one seems to be able to provide a valid description of what a Lyon shape frying pan is. Earlier in this thread, someone provided three images — one purporting to be a Lyon shaped frying pan. That same pan is also described all over the internet as an ordinary skillet. If you know the difference, I'd love to know what it is.

I'm sorry I started all this, I should have purchased the first 8" fry pan I saw and thus avoided irritating everyone in this forum. As it is I've irritated myself the most — why does everyone pretend to know what that fantom pan is when it exists only in the mind of some nitwit ad writer.
You were right. Until I read this thread, I didn't know what a Lyon shaped frying pan was. But then I read the thread and saw the photos and it was apparant what it was. I never pretended to know what it was, only made a suggestion how you may obtain an answer that was avoiding you.

I doubt that anybody was irritated at your asking the question, nor in that you were not comprehending people's responses, but your lack of civility in posts does irritate.

Back
Top Bottom