Best Brand Pots (sauce/soup)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mollyanne

Flour Child
What is your favorite brand of sauce/soup pots?
Something that is easy-care using "Bartender's Friend" cleanser.
And something where the handles don't get too hot.
I don't want non-stick. And copper is too expensive.
Thank you :)

I have a set of Emrilware made by Allclad that I really like. I got it off E-bay for a really reasonable price.
I gave up all my Calphalon and went all stainless a couple years ago.All-clad is my favorite.

I like cheap for non-stick but not too cheap!
They just don't last long enough for me me to buy expensive ones.If i don't ruin them my wife will.

Thank you for your prompt reply. Sounds good and great tip about Ebay. I'll keep watching the thread for other opinions and thanks again

I prefer tri-ply stainless steel pots and pans. That's two layers of SS with a layer of aluminum in between. The whole pan is made with this triple layer material providing even heating throughout.

All-Clad is among the best but other brands are also very good and less money. Calphalon, Tramontina and others are good choices. Also check put Costco, Sam's and BJ's for this stuff.

I had calphalon for quite a few years but gave it up and went stainless. I think the stainless is easier to clean and the handles don't get as hot.I do wish I kept one of the big fry pans for outdoor use though.

I have not seen Tramontine yet.

Thank you Andy. And good to know, formeandthem, that the handles get hot on the Calphalon. So is Tramontina a new brand that just came out?

formeandthem: the Calphalon is tri-ply stainless.

Molly, Tramontina has been around for awhile.

Also look into Cuisinart and LeGourmet Chef brands.

since you don't want copper, AllCLad is the pinnacle, but there are many brands similar to it, some made right here in America. Check out the Marcus Samuelson pans from Regal. very affordable!

I have a nice stock pot, from sears of all places, it is a Kenmore brand All stainless finish). From what I read a full clad stockpot was overkill, something with a nice thick tri-ply bottom is all that is needed. Cuisinart also makes nice ones at fairly reasonable prices.

Last edited:
I had to buy all new pots and pans about 9 years ago, and bought Sitram, which was relatively inexpensive and 9 years later I'm still pleased with them. I bought them through the Chefs' Catalog, but they do not carry them now. They have heavy, very flat bottoms. At the time I had a new, flat-top electric stove and they work perfectly with that, but I think they would on my previous (gas) stove as well. They are not non-stick, but have not proven difficult to clean. I bought a full set (because I had to replace everything), which I normally wouldn't do or recommend, but there is only one saucepan out of the set that I wouldn't buy if I was buying them separately, so for me, it was less expensive than buying them one at a time.

It's a close-up of a pic I took in a park in Montreal of a manmade pond where the water runs off the edge onto steps that take the water down to the river. Were you close with your guesses?

Attachments

• DSC00924.jpg
    DSC00924.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 191
I love the all-SS stock pots and sauce pans I got from IKEA. All have very heavy bottoms, even my tiniest little sauce pan.

:flowers: Thank you to all for the many recommendations and tips. They're great! I wonder if they make pans anymore where just the bottoms are copper. Is that better than tri-ply stainless and still reasonably priced?

I too was wondering about your avatar, Andy. And I also thought it had something to do with a partial view of cookware. Very interesting location and wonderful photo.

... I wonder if they make pans anymore where just the bottoms are copper. Is that better than tri-ply stainless and still reasonably priced?...

IF you'r e referring to Revereware, I don't know if it's still made but it's not as good as tri-ply. The copper on the bottom of Revereware is very thin and not of much use.

Most disk bottom pans have an aluminum disk (fairly heat responsive) Some of the French Sitram have copper disk bottoms. AllClad Copper Core has just that and it works well but these are expensive pots. The CIA masters collection is also a copper core and a bit less pricey. However, for most cooking an aluminum core will do just fine and triply clad cookware is better than disk bottom pots.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom