Best pan for spaghetti sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikegeorge

Assistant Cook
What is the best shaped pan for cooking all day "Sunday Gravy" type spaghetti sauce. Here are two that I am considering.

9.5" diameter x 7.25" high

11" diameter x 6.5" high

The pots are very close in size. Both in total capacity and surface area. I would choose the pot with the better construction for simmering for a long period. If they are both the same construction, flip a coin.

what andy and elfie said.

you're gonna be simmering the meats in the sauce for a coupla hours, so you want a heavy pot that's taller than wider. but you could use just about any deep pot or even a deep sautee pan. it all depends on how much you want to stir and can control how thick it gets.
a (sampled ;)) bottle of red wine helps in that matter. if it starts to get too thick too soon, add a glass for you, then a glass into the pot.
if it's too thin, a glass for you, and a small can of tomato paste goes into the pot.

a (sampled ;)) bottle of red wine helps in that matter. if it starts to get too thick too soon, add a glass for you, then a glass into the pot.
if it's too thin, a glass for you, and a small can of tomato paste goes into the pot.

Tom's got the joy of Sunday sauce down:rolleyes:...

Really you are good with either pot if construction is the same go with the taller.

My Italian-American mom always uses a tall heavy bottom stock pot for the sunday sauce and cooks it all day (its started before she goes to church). I like to use a enamel cast iron dutch oven and stick it in the oven as I am not as dilligent a pot watcher/stirrer and I dont have as percise a stove.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom