Best pot for polenta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianabell

Assistant Cook
This recipe calls for 6 cups broth plus spices and 2 cups corn grits. Stir frequently on low for 30 minutes.

I'm trying to avoid the polenta sticking to the bottom of the pot.

What would be the best pot for this, stainless steel, enamel coated cast iron, non-stick? What would you recommend?

I'm also going to stir more often towards the end when it gets thicker.

Diane

Diane, making polenta is just like making extra-thick cream of wheat. Use whatever pan you use to make cream of wheat to make your polenta. You just have to be mindful because it has a tendency to stick so, because of this, you might want to use a nonstick pot.

Now you have me wanting to make polenta. I love it and use it in place of pasta.

I use a heavy bottomed pan. You want to cook it on a low setting (and I don't stir that frequently), so, once the temp drops you don't have to worry about sticking.

If your goal is to keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pan then non stick would be a good way to go.

ick I hate the idea of cooking something for a long time in non-stick. I have never had a problem with the polenta sticking in ss worst case a little soaking will take care of it.

I would go with something heavy and broad. A enameled cast iron pot would be my choice (but then it is my choice for most things) Clean up should not be too hard off the enamel either as long as you dont burn it something aweful.

Just curious, but why do you hate the idea of cooking something for a long time in non stick?

Just curious, but why do you hate the idea of cooking something for a long time in non stick?

well 2 reasons... one being the carcinogen factor... the other is that there is just something about teflon I don't like and the idea of it scaping off in your food... Even nice quality well cared for teflon begins to break down in time.

If you are using hard anodized or that diamond stuff maybe its better.

I actually cant stand non-stick cookware though and almost never use it. I do have one skillet handy though.

I think nonstick has been debated elsewhere and I dont want to derail the polenta thread i just have never seen use for non-stick in a stockpot or saucepan. Especially when making something like polenta that will unstick quite easily with some water its not like searing protein to the bottom of a pan.

Back
Top Bottom