Burn marks on New All-Clad Stainless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rasmasyean

Assistant Cook
I have a set of new All-Clad stainless and I cooked some soup with it on low heat.
Prior to using, I noticed that there were these “dots” (small pits?) on the inside finish which I thought were just inconsistencies in the surface finish.

But around those dots some burn marks formed. They sort of look like small dark rings of colors surrounding the dots.

At first I thought maybe the aluminum core is exposed at those dots, but looking at the outer rim, it’s definitely not deep enough of a pit to expose the aluminum core. Or is the stainless steel thickness of the interior thinner at the bottom of the pot???

This happened to a second pot I used too. I’m sure I didn’t use high heat. And why are they localized around those dots?

Thanks for any input!

I have Calphalon and All-Clad ss cookware and sometimes they display odd discolorations after I use them. Try making a paste out of BarKeepers Friend and put it on the pan for a couple of minutes and then scrub the pan. It should come out looking like new. Hope this helps and welcome to DC!

Welcome to DC.

I have the same SS cookware and have had no such problems. Just guessing here. Was the set a discounted seconds set?

Could you have added salt to a cold pot with liquid in it? Salt can sometimes cause surface pitting. Is the pot easily cleaned with a scouring powder such as Barkeeper's Friend?

Yup, I third BarKeepers friend. I have a full set of All Clad SS and it's my best friend to keep them looking shiney and new!

Since you have a set of new All-Clad ... I would call that customer service phone number on the warranty card that came with the cookware and talk to them about it. Doesn't mean you'll get a good answer - but maybe you will get a replacement.

Yup, I third BarKeepers friend. I have a full set of All Clad SS and it's my best friend to keep them looking shiney and new!

That's awefully dumb...what kind of "premium" pots require you to use a special cleaning routine after every use? :dry:

Welcome to DC.

I have the same SS cookware and have had no such problems. Just guessing here. Was the set a discounted seconds set?

Could you have added salt to a cold pot with liquid in it? Salt can sometimes cause surface pitting. Is the pot easily cleaned with a scouring powder such as Barkeeper's Friend?

I got them at Macy's Department store. They are supposed to be pretty good. It's brand new.

Are you saying that solid salt sitting on the bottom can eat away at the stainless steel? ...Maybe thin the layer and eventually get to the alluminum core? I don't think I did this. But if I did, it sure disolved after a short while.

I got them at Macy's Department store. They are supposed to be pretty good. It's brand new.

Are you saying that solid salt sitting on the bottom can eat away at the stainless steel? ...Maybe thin the layer and eventually get to the alluminum core? I don't think I did this. But if I did, it sure disolved after a short while.

Don't worry about exposing the aluminum core. That's not going to happen. If you add salt to cold water and let it sit in the pot before starting to cook, the alt can cause monor spots on the SS. Basically only cosmetic, not t concern.

All-Clad is excellent quality stuff. I second the recommendation to call the customer service number and talk to an expert.

OK, I'll try the customer service. Hopefully they are not from India and read off a list to me. I was hoping for a "scientific" explaination too so maybe they might be able to give it to me....doubt it. I'll have to give Altin Brown a call for this I guess. lol

That's funny. It seems after a couple of more uses, those marks disappeared. Do the pots have to "burn-in"?

Seems i must aquire some BKF. I just burned some stuff in new a SS Calphaleon TriPly pan. tried to do some brats, oiled the pan, dropped in the brats and some Imperial Stout beer... instaburn! Ooops.... ahhwell. lettin it soak so it doesn't harden fully, if it clears up easy tomorrow (dawn in there as well) i'll grab some BKF and hit it.

BKF really does an amazing job. I am tough on my pots and pans especially my skillets. BKF alawys brings back the shine and gets off the char.

I also buy much of my cookware 2nd hand at fleamarkets and the like and rely on BKF to remove other people's greazy residue. I am amazed at how easily it cleans them up. For me it works way better than steel wool soap pads. I hate to plug a product but in this case there is no substitute.

even with the miracles of BKF your pots and pans will show wear though. They are tools and if you use them heavily it will show. If you have a set of all clad or other fancy cookware and it looks totally perfect you either spend alot of time polishing or you arent using it enough.

One of the reasons I prefer to buy used (beyond cost) is that it feels less precious to me and I dont fear banging it up or marking it. It is always harder for me to use a new thing for fear of ruining it.

Last edited:
BKF is a great product for stainless, copper, anodized aluminum, whatever. It doesn't scratch, and it polishes nicely. PLus, it's cheap. You don't have to have nice looking pots to cook. Most restaurants have beat up looking cookware. However, I spent good money on my high end gear and I do like it to look nice as well. SO I clean it after every use. As BKF polishes it at the same time, I use that. NBD

A note to those who care:

metals react to heat and salt: copper and stainless can/will change color, iron and stainless can be pitted by salt. minerals in your water including salts if you are using a water softener system will affect your cookware. greasy film or residue will burn on your pots, especially around the handles. You want this "seasoning' on cast iron, carbon steel, and unpolished plain aluminum. You don't want it on polished, anodized, or stainless or enameled pots.

Even if your stainless pots and pans say dishwasher safe, eventually the alkali detergents and high heat of drying will cause some discoloring. I know folks who put everything in the dishwasher and let it rip. Personally I like to give my pots and pans personal attention. There are lots of great brands out there with all different characteristics. You should buy pots and pans not just for the way you cook, but also for the way you clean.

hey robo I wasn't trying to say not to polish your pots just that I dont get it when people freak out with "I used my new cookware and now it appears used" thing. Of course it looks used you used it! My stuff is battered but its CLEAN. I shine them up regularly with BKF I am lucky if others in my house wash em ... Fortunatley they prefer the crusty non stick Ikea pan... eew I leave that for them.

The best way to add salt to a pot is after the water begins to boil. This way the salt will dissolve rapidly and do less damage to your pot.

That's awefully dumb...what kind of "premium" pots require you to use a special cleaning routine after every use? :dry:

I also clean and shine my Emerilware SS cookware set (also made by All-Clad). It might not sound sensible to you, but trust me, it helps and works very well.

What happens is that when I cook starchy foods such as hot cereal, rice, potatos or rissuotto, a thin white film is left inside the pans. Regular washing
will NOT get it out.

I use Wright's Copper Cream to help remove that thin film as well as to shine up the copper bands & exteriors of the pots. All that stuff comes right off!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom