Cake tins - how to get the cake out??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

falsedog

Assistant Cook
I seem to be ruining my cakes trying to get them out of the tins after cooking: the mix seems fine but there's no way to get them out w/out wrecking them. Grease / flour in use to no obvious avail...

Try silicone form or spring form... those two types are nearly foolproof when it comes to extracting a cake without wrecking it....
(However when you use a silicone form do not forget to put the form on some solid support something like a metal baking sheet or a rack straight out of the oven... it is almost unmanageable by itself when it is full of semi-liquid batter!!)

Just checked ebay for spring form cake tins, I think that's the answer. But they are 3 sizes in a set and I'd like 2 the same size for a sandwich cake. Can I just saw through the horizontal plane of a deep single cake to form 2 shallower ones? Or would it look shoddy?

(Also: what can I do with the pile of wrecked cakes, culinarily speaking?)

falsedog said:
Just checked ebay for spring form cake tins, I think that's the answer. But they are 3 sizes in a set and I'd like 2 the same size for a sandwich cake. Can I just saw through the horizontal plane of a deep single cake to form 2 shallower ones? Or would it look shoddy?

Don't worry, slicing the one tall cake horizontally is extactly what is normally done to make a layered cake. Just make sure to use a large serrated knife that cuts well otherwise your cake is AGAIN in danger of being wrecked...
Good luck and happy baking, keep us updated!:chef:

(ps: for the crumbles of cakes, you can use it for some nice ice cream topping... or enjoy it with some fruits and whipped cream... at worst you can always make the birdies happy!!)

Last edited:
I use sugar in place of flour when getting my pans ready.
It seems to work better for me.

I'd give parchment paper a try before investing in all new bakeware. You may find it's the easiest solution. Plus, there's no guarabtee the cakes won't stick to the springforms. It's just easier to get them out.

Make homemade trifle! If you're cake was chocolate go for something like a can of black cherries and loads of whipping cream for a Black Forest cake style trifle.

If it was white (yellow) the sky is the limit, I love to use a mix of strawberries and raspberries and some homemade custard.

If it was a spice cake, it's great with slices of plums,apples or pears and toffee sauce between the layers.

You can use it between layers on a tall ice cream sundae, instead of bread in a summer pudding (it needs to be a strong cake like a pound cake to work for this, as summer pudding traditionally calls for bread), or just grab a fork and eat it as is...might not look like a magazine cover, but chances are it'll still taste great.

I would not have thought of making a trifle with a wrecked cake. However, you can also make rum balls with it. You can also dry the cake out, grind it into cake crumbs, and use those to decorate the sides of a cake. Also, make a Linzer Torte!

Thanks for the tips, I think the rum balls may be the next disaster cake recipe I try. I actually pieced the cake back together, it held in place with butter cream quite well. Tastes great, looks like it fell on the floor though!

You could try wetting a towel with very hot water and putting that on the counter and setting the cake pans on it for a minute before turning them out. I take the easy way out and bake cakes in a 13x9 pan and just frost the top and serve from the pan.

falsedog said:

That's easy - My friend took hours making this beautiful white cake with raspberry jam on two layers and covered with a basket weave cream cheese frosting. Well - apparently the cake was still a little too warm and as I was going down the road the whole top of the cake slid off to the side. There was no repairing it so I served it in large chunks in a big bowl and told everyone it was a new thing - cake in a bowl - and they loved it.

I wanted to dedicate a karma point for your brilliant quick thinking but ovbiously I already gave you one today and it didn't let me... what a smart job, I would have just gone into a panic of desperation!! You rock kitchenelf!!

:) I use Wiltons cake release and I get perfect results every time even on the 16 inch cake pans.You can find it at Walmart in the arts and crafts section they sell a few Wilton products there, mostly wedding stuff. It comes in a white plastic bottle.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom