Calderos - help!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leenahnee

Assistant Cook
Hi!! I am hoping someone can help me find a good heavy caldero without a non-stick coating!!! I saw reviews for the imusa set and they mainly said they are too thin. My rice and Gandules taste great from my stainless steel pot, but I want a traditional pot like my grandmothers. And of course, pageo is not the same in my pot!

What did Mama have? The heavy aluminum kind available in Mexico from aluminum foundries?

caldero-small.JPG

The home page of the site that offered this one is down for maintenance. Perhaps they will come back to life. They appear to be in the Philippines.

I don't know how heavy this one is:

caldero%20pot11.jpg

COUNTRY CLEAN PAPER SUPPLIES !!!

This is at K-Mart. It's K-Mart, and the description is also in Spanish. So many of their customer base knowing exactly what a caldero should be, this might be it. Or is it just another Imusa?

caldero.jpg

Clothing, Toys, Electronics, Jewelry, Jaclyn Smith - Kmart.com
Other than that, cast iron Dutch oven type pots are, of course, an alternative. In Texas, calderos tend to be cast iron.

I think that second one is the imusa with a mon-stick interior but the first one looks promising. Going to try looking them up. Thank you. The one my grandmother had was the heavy cast aluminum kind.

i've seen the all aluminum ones in hispanic/asian markets near me. i know it's supposed to be safe to use, but i feel kinda funny about cooking in uncoated aluminum. do you season aluminum like you would cast iron?

i've had my eye on a really neat, 6 qt. cast iron dutch oven with a recessed lid (for holding hot coals) that has a big boy scout symbol (the fleur de lis) cast into it.

What did Mama have? The heavy aluminum kind available in Mexico from aluminum foundries?

caldero-small.JPG

The home page of the site that offered this one is down for maintenance. Perhaps they will come back to life. They appear to be in the Philippines.

I don't know how heavy this one is:

caldero%20pot11.jpg

COUNTRY CLEAN PAPER SUPPLIES !!!

This is at K-Mart. It's K-Mart, and the description is also in Spanish. So many of their customer base knowing exactly what a caldero should be, this might be it. Or is it just another Imusa?

caldero.jpg

Clothing, Toys, Electronics, Jewelry, Jaclyn Smith - Kmart.com
Other than that, cast iron Dutch oven type pots are, of course, an alternative. In Texas, calderos tend to be cast iron.
I am wondering does a caldero thin out over time? Mine seems to be burning my rice..

Do calderos thin out over time..I have had mine for over 20 yrs and it seems to be burning my rice

Back
Top Bottom